Serge Gainsbourg

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Post Reply
User avatar
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 12282
Joined: 03 Jan 2006, 12:42
Location: Mon - Fri : Thunderbird 5.

Post by PaulinLondon »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:Well I eventually bought the double DVD 'D'autres nouvelles des étoiles' which arrived today, bloody fantastic!
Why do I keep on thinking 'Stranglers' especially when I watch the 'Ballade De Melody Nelson Video'?

I think it's because of Serge dressed in Black, his voice, the colours (the red & black hearts) and that Bass!

Shame there is no 'Je T'aime'
Glad there is 'Bonny & Clyde' though, that is a huge fave, what a fantastic song.

Now then, 'Lemon Incest' what the fuck is that all about?
Serge on a bed with his daughter looking very dodgy!

Arthur - what is it about "Bonny & Clyde" ? Like you do, I think it is brilliant but I don't know why. I cannot not stop playing ze damn song !

The daughter's album is getting better the more I listen to it.

I did not think Serge would be top of the play list during the wait for the next Stranglers album but fair play to him, it was a 50/50 thing. I think the lobsters got a nip out of it and, I think Serge got a nip out of it.

Paul
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
raveninblack
Ugly
Ugly
Posts: 1797
Joined: 02 Jun 2002, 14:02
Location: Down in the sewer

Post by raveninblack »

Hmmmnn the "Lemon Incest" song.....it is based on something by Chopin and actually got to number 1 in france. It was a song to show that he loved his daughter Charlotte, and it was deliberatly provocative, and it actually says "the love that we will never make". I dont think he had any inclination to be a paedo...he was just using it to shock.
just hanging around
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 5783
Joined: 25 Nov 2005, 01:00
Location: Yorkshire Pudding Town

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

PaulinLondon wrote:
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:Well I eventually bought the double DVD 'D'autres nouvelles des étoiles' which arrived today, bloody fantastic!
Why do I keep on thinking 'Stranglers' especially when I watch the 'Ballade De Melody Nelson Video'?

I think it's because of Serge dressed in Black, his voice, the colours (the red & black hearts) and that Bass!

Shame there is no 'Je T'aime'
Glad there is 'Bonny & Clyde' though, that is a huge fave, what a fantastic song.

Now then, 'Lemon Incest' what the fuck is that all about?
Serge on a bed with his daughter looking very dodgy!

Arthur - what is it about "Bonny & Clyde" ? Like you do, I think it is brilliant but I don't know why. I cannot not stop playing ze damn song !

The daughter's album is getting better the more I listen to it.

I did not think Serge would be top of the play list during the wait for the next Stranglers album but fair play to him, it was a 50/50 thing. I think the lobsters got a nip out of it and, I think Serge got a nip out of it.

Paul

Oh man it's the constant violin loop in the background all the way through the song, the bass, the vocals, everything!
Deffo in my Top 10 songs ever list!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 5783
Joined: 25 Nov 2005, 01:00
Location: Yorkshire Pudding Town

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

raveninblack wrote:Hmmmnn the "Lemon Incest" song.....it is based on something by Chopin and actually got to number 1 in france. It was a song to show that he loved his daughter Charlotte, and it was deliberatly provocative, and it actually says "the love that we will never make". I dont think he had any inclination to be a paedo...he was just using it to shock.
Thanks for the info.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 5783
Joined: 25 Nov 2005, 01:00
Location: Yorkshire Pudding Town

I Want To Fuck Her!

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

User avatar
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 12282
Joined: 03 Jan 2006, 12:42
Location: Mon - Fri : Thunderbird 5.

Post by PaulinLondon »

Serge's daughter, Charlotte, has her new album coming out on 4 September 06. It is called "5:55" and it got a good review in the Guardian a few days ago; which was nice.....

:smt006
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 5783
Joined: 25 Nov 2005, 01:00
Location: Yorkshire Pudding Town

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

PaulinLondon wrote:Serge's daughter, Charlotte, has her new album coming out on 4 September 06. It is called "5:55" and it got a good review in the Guardian a few days ago; which was nice.....

:smt006
Cheers Paul already bought CD's by Bardot, Birkin and a few others associated with Gainsbourg, may as well check that out too :smt023
User avatar
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 12282
Joined: 03 Jan 2006, 12:42
Location: Mon - Fri : Thunderbird 5.

Post by PaulinLondon »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
PaulinLondon wrote:Serge's daughter, Charlotte, has her new album coming out on 4 September 06. It is called "5:55" and it got a good review in the Guardian a few days ago; which was nice.....

:smt006
Cheers Paul already bought CD's by Bardot, Birkin and a few others associated with Gainsbourg, may as well check that out too :smt023
Nice one Arthur. 8)

Shame she didn't call it "5.5 Lobsters" but that's her look out, not ours.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 5783
Joined: 25 Nov 2005, 01:00
Location: Yorkshire Pudding Town

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

PaulinLondon wrote:
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
PaulinLondon wrote:Serge's daughter, Charlotte, has her new album coming out on 4 September 06. It is called "5:55" and it got a good review in the Guardian a few days ago; which was nice.....

:smt006
Cheers Paul already bought CD's by Bardot, Birkin and a few others associated with Gainsbourg, may as well check that out too :smt023
Nice one Arthur. 8)

Shame she didn't call it "5.5 Lobsters" but that's her look out, not ours.
:smile:

It got a decent review in this months Mojo along with reviews of Dirty Dozen & Suite XVI. (btw also JJ talking about an album by some band I have never heard of)
User avatar
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 12282
Joined: 03 Jan 2006, 12:42
Location: Mon - Fri : Thunderbird 5.

Post by PaulinLondon »

Can't wait to get hold of her...........album. :smt023 :smt117 :smt035 :smt020 :smt034 :smt025
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
DrunkinBlackish
Down In The Sewer
Posts: 89
Joined: 06 Dec 2005, 22:08
Location: Scotchland

Post by DrunkinBlackish »

On radio the other day an album of cover versions of his songs coming out or just out,Franz Ferdiand doing a cover version of one of his songs with old girlfriend of his singing on track.
User avatar
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 12972
Joined: 14 Sep 2005, 12:54
Location: Horny, but tainted with melancholy.
Contact:

Post by Alias »

And theres a gig in London in celebration of Melody Nelson, including the Bad Seeds Mick Harvey who performs at the Serge Gainsbourg event at the Barbican in London on 21st October. More info in the tour dates section of mickharvey.com.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Post Reply