The Smiths

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

More trivia...

Back in 86 (or 87 ?) I was going to see the Smiths at the old Gloucester Leisure Centre, but had already got tickets to see John Cooper Clarke at the Cheltenham Festival of Arts & Literature. Thought I'd have plenty of time to catch The Smiths again. JCC was pretty cool, while the Smiths gig was abandoned after someone jumped the stage and thumped Morrissey ! Never did get to see the Smiths (and This Charming Man is in my all time top 10 !)

Paul

P.S. After The Smiths disbanded Johnny Marr went off with Crasses mate Matt Johnson to work on some The The stuff (Never forgave him for that as the first 3 The The albums (plus the one MJ wasn't able to release) were pretty shit hot. Marr joining up changed the sound and dynamics for me and signalled the beginning of the end of The The for me.
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Back in 86 (or 87 ?) I was going to see the Smiths at the old Gloucester Leisure Centre, but had already got tickets to see John Cooper Clarke at the Cheltenham Festival of Arts & Literature. Thought I'd have plenty of time to catch The Smiths again. JCC was pretty cool, while the Smiths gig was abandoned after someone jumped the stage and thumped Morrissey ! Never did get to see the Smiths (and This Charming Man is in my all time top 10 !)

Paul

I saw The Smiths at Gloucester Leisure Centre in 1984 and 1986(both amazing gigs!).
To my knowledge the 86 gig was'nt abandoned.
Got this on a bootleg CD and its the full gig..
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

I first tried to see the Smiths in late 1983 at the Electric ballroom in Camden, assuming no one knew who they were. Came out of Camden Town tube and the queue stretched almost all the way to fucking Chalk Farm. Went straight home.

Did see them at The Lyceum on Valentine's day 84. Amazing gig, but only about 45 minutes!

Then saw them in Brixton on Meat is Murder tour (have a tape of that) which was incredible... Morrissey announced a new song, giving the title for "all the nervous bootleggers"!

For some reason lost interest between then and the next lot of material... last record I bought was Shakespeare's Sister. Had every bit of vinyl they made up to then! And haven't owned anything since (though some of it's quite good apparently).
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
daniellameijvis
Rats Rally

Post by daniellameijvis »

paulinblack wrote:More trivia...

Paul

P.S. After The Smiths disbanded Johnny Marr went off with Crasses mate Matt Johnson to work on some The The stuff (Never forgave him for that as the first 3 The The albums (plus the one MJ wasn't able to release) were pretty shit hot. Marr joining up changed the sound and dynamics for me and signalled the beginning of the end of The The for me.
Pritty violent audiens isn't it.This The The band what kind of songs do the play
DANIELLA
daniellameijvis
Rats Rally

gizzard wrote:Back in 86 (or 87 ?) I was going to see the Smiths at the old Gloucester Leisure Centre, but had already got tickets to see John Cooper Clarke at the Cheltenham Festival of Arts & Literature. Thought I'd have plenty of time to catch The Smiths again. JCC was pretty cool, while the Smiths gig was abandoned after someone jumped the stage and thumped Morrissey ! Never did get to see the Smiths (and This Charming Man is in my all time top 10 !)

Paul

I saw The Smiths at Gloucester Leisure Centre in 1984 and 1986(both amazing gigs!).
To my knowledge the 86 gig was'nt abandoned.
Got this on a bootleg CD and its the full gig..
Do you still have that CD? Can you sent it to me?
DANIELLA
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

daniellameijvis wrote:
paulinblack wrote:More trivia...

Paul

Pritty violent audiens isn't it.This The The band what kind of songs do the play
Go ere for a The The jukebox and see for yourself

Paul
daniellameijvis
Rats Rally

Thanks Paul I'm going to listen.
Let you know hou I think about The The. :P :P
DANIELLA
janek
Rats Rally

Post by janek »

Dom P wrote:For some reason lost interest between then and the next lot of material... last record I bought was Shakespeare's Sister. Had every bit of vinyl they made up to then! And haven't owned anything since (though some of it's quite good apparently).
hm, strange ... to me their best album is the last one
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

janek wrote:
Dom P wrote:For some reason lost interest between then and the next lot of material... last record I bought was Shakespeare's Sister. Had every bit of vinyl they made up to then! And haven't owned anything since (though some of it's quite good apparently).
You have'nt heard The Queen Is Dead then?
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
janek
Rats Rally

Post by janek »

gizzard wrote:
janek wrote:
You have'nt heard The Queen Is Dead then?
course i have :) it's great , but i rate strangeways higher ...
daniellameijvis
Rats Rally

Hello Paul,
I.d listen to your jukebox.
Uncertain Smile was olso a hit in the netherlans.
But what your was your favorit song or album on this jukebox?
8) 8) 8)
DANIELLA
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

daniellameijvis wrote:Hello Paul,
I.d listen to your jukebox.
Uncertain Smile was olso a hit in the netherlans.
But what your was your favorit song or album on this jukebox?
8) 8) 8)
I think that overall 'Soul Mining' is my favourite closely followed by 'Infected'. My favourite playlist would be something like:

1. The Sinking Feeling (Soul)
2. Uncertain Smile (Soul)
3. Sweet Bird Of Truth (Inf)
4. Infected (Inf)
5 This Is The Day (Soul)
6. Heartland (Inf)
7. I've Been Waiting For Tomorrow All My Life (Soul)
8. Another Boy Drowning (BBSoul)
9. Giant (Soul)
10. Song Without An Ending (BBSoul)
11. Delirious (BBSoul)
12. Armageddon Days Are Here Again (MB)
13. The Beaten Generation (MB)
14. Slow Emotion Replay (Dusk)

In fact, just listen to Soulmining and a few tracks from the other albums. Solitude, 45RPM & Stretched are just remix (some of them very interesting though).

Paul