WHAT THE FCUK ARE YOU LOT LISTENIN TO - When it's not the fucking Stranglers??!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

ironclad
SHAKESPEARO

Post by ironclad »

i've been in a big tom waits mood lately...but also been listening to the hot snakes, sigur ros, ted leo and the rx, cat power, sleater kinney...
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

Yep Tom Waits is bloody brilliant live. Currently going through a bit of a Magazine revival phase at the moment - superb. Next to Hugh Cornwell, Howard Devoto is probably the best under-appreciated vocalist/lyricist there is. Magazine's stuff still sounds threatening and surreal many years on.
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...
gazincumbria
Rats Rally

Post by gazincumbria »

philjxn wrote:Yep Tom Waits is bloody brilliant live. Currently going through a bit of a Magazine revival phase at the moment - superb. Next to Hugh Cornwell, Howard Devoto is probably the best under-appreciated vocalist/lyricist there is. Magazine's stuff still sounds threatening and surreal many years on.
Agree with you about Magazine:I got the 'Maybe It's Right To Be Nervous' Box Set & 'The Correct Use Of Soap' on CD recently and I can't stop playing them-great band :)

Gaz
"I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else"
philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn »

Last thing I bought was the Scree compilation - to replace some knackered stuff - is the box-set worth a look - I almost ordered it yesterday ??
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Indeed I love Magazine - managed to get hold of Howard Devoto's solo stuff the other day and that`s worth checking out as well. Especially "Jerky Versions of the Dream".

The box set is worth it if you can get it for a reasonable price - it has the radio sessions on it and different mixes.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Did anyone see the Undertones documentary DVD? Is it worth buying?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yep got it recently and yes it`s worth buying - it`s got all their promo vids on it as well

Defo worth the wonga!

Jim
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by doninblack »

theraven1979 wrote:Yep got it recently and yes it`s worth buying - it`s got all their promo vids on it as well

Defo worth the wonga!

Jim

Excellent DVD. I've seen the cinema version a few times (superb on big screen), and I don't tire of watching it. Worth it just for the live version of Get Over You from the Lyceum 1979 - knocks the socks off the polished studio version. Possibly their greatest song. Also OGWT session is great (audio taped these off the telly at the time before VCRs were common place - christ it used to be difficult to get hold of this stuff!). You may struggle a bit with the Derry accents though! BUY!!!
Talking bullshit on a slow repeat.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Cheers Jim
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

doninblack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Yep got it recently and yes it`s worth buying - it`s got all their promo vids on it as well

Defo worth the wonga!

Jim

Excellent DVD. I've seen the cinema version a few times (superb on big screen), and I don't tire of watching it. Worth it just for the live version of Get Over You from the Lyceum 1979 - knocks the socks off the polished studio version. Possibly their greatest song. Also OGWT session is great (audio taped these off the telly at the time before VCRs were common place - christ it used to be difficult to get hold of this stuff!). You may struggle a bit with the Derry accents though! BUY!!!
Agreed - I wish they`d release a juicy Undertones live DVD - not too fussed about the Sound & Vision one

Jim
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

listening to a rather nice Rezillos bootleg downloaded from alt.punk.binaries some nice cover versions and new songs on it. Takes me back to about a year ago when I saw em in Bradford.

Jim
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

Back to old faves

Goldblade
Jam boxset
Damned

crass
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.