WHAT THE FCUK ARE YOU LOT LISTENIN TO - When it's not the fucking Stranglers??!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: WHAT THE FCUK ARE YOU LOT LISTENIN TO - When it's not th

Post by parasiteinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
parasiteinblack wrote:Tears For Fears - The Hurting

and my internal dialogue reminding me that the class I'm planning this lesson for don't care about chemistry as much as I do...

Good choice! 8) I really rate their first three albums, and the reunion album ('Everybody Loves A Happy Ending') wasn't too bad either (although very Beatley/late XTC-like kind of stuff, and nothing really like Hurting/Big Chair).
Yeah, I bought this for the singles really but I really rate it, will have to look into getting the next few if I see them cheap on vinyl (synthy stuff sounds pretty poo on CD).
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote:
StanInBlack wrote:
parasiteinblack wrote:Tears For Fears - The Hurting

and my internal dialogue reminding me that the class I'm planning this lesson for don't care about chemistry as much as I do...

Good choice! 8) I really rate their first three albums, and the reunion album ('Everybody Loves A Happy Ending') wasn't too bad either (although very Beatley/late XTC-like kind of stuff, and nothing really like Hurting/Big Chair).
Yeah, I bought this for the singles really but I really rate it, will have to look into getting the next few if I see them cheap on vinyl (synthy stuff sounds pretty poo on CD).

I wouldn't go into their next two albums expecting anything like The Hurting though, Songs From The Big Chair is a very different album, and The Seeds Of Love is even more different. Curiously, I was VERY cold on The Seeds Of Love for a number of years - it's light years away from The Hurting. It's like a combination of 'Beatlesque' pop, soul, jazz and prog... a very ambitious, over-the-top record indeed. It took them 4 years to make, and half of that time was spent editing all the 'best bits' of all the takes together. It's not for everyone, but these days I listen to it quite a lot.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

StanInBlack wrote:
parasiteinblack wrote:
StanInBlack wrote:

I wouldn't go into their next two albums expecting anything like The Hurting though, Songs From The Big Chair is a very different album, and The Seeds Of Love is even more different. Curiously, I was VERY cold on The Seeds Of Love for a number of years - it's light years away from The Hurting. It's like a combination of 'Beatlesque' pop, soul, jazz and prog... a very ambitious, over-the-top record indeed. It took them 4 years to make, and half of that time was spent editing all the 'best bits' of all the takes together. It's not for everyone, but these days I listen to it quite a lot.
Sounds interesting lol. I'm an awkward bugger so albums that are difficult to get into tend to be the ones I find the most rewarding :lol:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote: Sounds interesting lol. I'm an awkward bugger so albums that are difficult to get into tend to be the ones I find the most rewarding :lol:
Yeah, I also find that - whereas the ones that are easier to get into always seem to have more of a 'shelf life'? I completely understand! :grin:

I guess the best way to describe it, is imagine XTC's 'Skylarking', but more "produced" ... if you can imagine such a thing! :lol: It's loaded with detail that album, definitely a headphones record, and you kind of have to throw away everything you think you know about Tears For Fears out of the window and totally judge it as its own thing!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Quite like "The Hurting" I love the way "Mad World" morph's into "Pale Shelter" - "Watch Me Bleed" and "Change" are also great tracks. I listen to it a fair bit and I always wonder if Ferris Bueller wants his album back :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote:Quite like "The Hurting" I love the way "Mad World" morph's into "Pale Shelter" - "Watch Me Bleed" and "Change" are also great tracks. I listen to it a fair bit and I always wonder if Ferris Bueller wants his album back :lol:

Jim

Ferris Bueller is more of a Yello fan isn't he? :lol: Ooooooooooohhhh yeeeeeeeeeahhhhhh! BOM BOM! :lol:
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

StanInBlack wrote:
parasiteinblack wrote: Sounds interesting lol. I'm an awkward bugger so albums that are difficult to get into tend to be the ones I find the most rewarding :lol:
Yeah, I also find that - whereas the ones that are easier to get into always seem to have more of a 'shelf life'? I completely understand! :grin:

I guess the best way to describe it, is imagine XTC's 'Skylarking', but more "produced" ... if you can imagine such a thing! :lol: It's loaded with detail that album, definitely a headphones record, and you kind of have to throw away everything you think you know about Tears For Fears out of the window and totally judge it as its own thing!
Ah sounds good, I like a bit of XTC and headphones albums - I'm a big fan of the Legendary Pink Dots who release almost exclusively headphones albums 8)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Tried listening to Iggy and Stooges Raw Power this aft - I think my hearing is missing certain frequencies now.

Jim
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote:Tried listening to Iggy and Stooges Raw Power this aft - I think my hearing is missing certain frequencies now.

Jim

Which mix was it, the original Bowie mix or the one that Iggy re-did much later on? It's a really acrid sounding record, but that's the appeal! :lol:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: RE: WHAT THE FCUK ARE YOU LOT LISTENIN TO - When it's no

Post by theraven1979 »

Went with the less raucous Bowie mix. Love how the guitar is so OTT and brash in the mix.

Jim
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain 8)
Debaser
SHAKESPEARO