Devo now

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Devo now

Post by The Nosferatu »

all the live versions of especially gut feeling and other tracks on youtube seem to be pants, dont think id like to see em live, think ill just stick to the records.
Cnut ? I think you're mistaken, it's CUNT.
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

Well what happened last night ? We travelled down from Birmingham and got to the forum about 4pm, after burgers and beer the doors opened about 7-30 and the support came on stage about 8pm, not much to talk about really, they were much of a muchness. By the time the opening Devo films atarted at 9pm the forum was pretty well near full although i couldnt see upstairs, we were in prime position on the raised part floor on the left of the lighting rig. The usual films played for about 10 mins then devo came on stage to raptuous applause, they played straight through the first album and sounded good, it was a tight performance and we were treated to a coupl of tracks that i havent heard played live for some time, sloppy being the stand out for me. After playing the first album in its entirety plus some selected b sides they briefly went off stage returning to play a couple of favourites, Jonee, Redeye Express etc then at a minute or so before 10pm they waved a cheery goodbye and off stage they went.
Everyone eagerly anticipated a second longer encore, but no, even the guys on the lighting desk seemed puzzled, the lights remained low but the roadies started to dismantle the mic's, still none of the crowd made a move, everyone was expecting them to come back on. After a few minutes people started leaving, some at the front were remonstrating with the roadies and from over hearing conversations as I filed out many were miffed at paying £35 to see a 30 minute support act and Devo actually playing for 50 mins.
It did put a damper on what was a good performance by Devo but with many people travelling into london from different parts of the country you did leave the gig feeling a little cheated.
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

Mart wrote:Well what happened last night ? We travelled down from Birmingham and got to the forum about 4pm, after burgers and beer the doors opened about 7-30 and the support came on stage about 8pm, not much to talk about really, they were much of a muchness. By the time the opening Devo films atarted at 9pm the forum was pretty well near full although i couldnt see upstairs, we were in prime position on the raised part floor on the left of the lighting rig. The usual films played for about 10 mins then devo came on stage to raptuous applause, they played straight through the first album and sounded good, it was a tight performance and we were treated to a coupl of tracks that i havent heard played live for some time, sloppy being the stand out for me. After playing the first album in its entirety plus some selected b sides they briefly went off stage returning to play a couple of favourites, Jonee, Redeye Express etc then at a minute or so before 10pm they waved a cheery goodbye and off stage they went.
Everyone eagerly anticipated a second longer encore, but no, even the guys on the lighting desk seemed puzzled, the lights remained low but the roadies started to dismantle the mic's, still none of the crowd made a move, everyone was expecting them to come back on. After a few minutes people started leaving, some at the front were remonstrating with the roadies and from over hearing conversations as I filed out many were miffed at paying £35 to see a 30 minute support act and Devo actually playing for 50 mins.
It did put a damper on what was a good performance by Devo but with many people travelling into london from different parts of the country you did leave the gig feeling a little cheated.
Thanks for that review Mart. Glad I didn't go - was too busy in the end - but at least ther likes of Paul Weller and The Stranglers do the exact opposite and play their hearts out for two hours...
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Mart wrote:Well what happened last night ? We travelled down from Birmingham and got to the forum about 4pm, after burgers and beer the doors opened about 7-30 and the support came on stage about 8pm, not much to talk about really, they were much of a muchness. By the time the opening Devo films atarted at 9pm the forum was pretty well near full although i couldnt see upstairs, we were in prime position on the raised part floor on the left of the lighting rig. The usual films played for about 10 mins then devo came on stage to raptuous applause, they played straight through the first album and sounded good, it was a tight performance and we were treated to a coupl of tracks that i havent heard played live for some time, sloppy being the stand out for me. After playing the first album in its entirety plus some selected b sides they briefly went off stage returning to play a couple of favourites, Jonee, Redeye Express etc then at a minute or so before 10pm they waved a cheery goodbye and off stage they went.
Cheers for the review Mart, however I don't remember 'Red Eye Express' in the set. I think they just played the whole 'Are We Not Men?' album then 'Smart Patrol/Mr DNA and 'Gates Of Steel' in the encore.?Maybe I missed summat.Gotta echo the sentiments of disappointment though regarding the short set and the price of the ticket. Thought they definitely should have played a second encore.

However, I still enjoyed the show and they are great entertainment,aren't they? No way could I have missed this gig, a performance of one of my all-time favourite albums and possibly the last time I'll get to see DEVO in the U.K. The gig was rammed and I would imagine a sell out by the looks of it. Great also to see so many young people into the music as well.

I kicked off the evening at a place called Annie's Bar not far from the venue where the hardcore spuds were meeting for a pre-gig drink and to pick up their passes for the after show party. This was organised by a DEVO tribute band who actually performed at the party later.Some oddballs in this place I can tell thee!
After the gig we returned but it took a while for things to warm up and it was getting late soI didn't stick around for too long. The tribute band were rather quite good playing some of the more obscure stuff. Eventually, I noticed some of the DEVO contingent including ARTHUR STREEB-GREEBLINGS mate 'SHEVO' who is quite a babe! I introduced myself and she said "You're Arthurs friend!".... :shock: Apparently Gerald Casale was somewhere in the room but I'll be fucked if I could see him. Anyway, I couldn't be arsed to do any star spotting and headed for the last tube and thus missed out on meeting other band members.

So, a night of positives and negatives then but still unmissable all said and done.
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

Yes apologies tbc they didnt play red eye, my mistake. I agree entirely there's no way i would have missed this but i dont think this will be the last time in the uk for Devo, i enjoyed this more than the symphony hall gig last year, the crowd were more passionate and Devo certainly put the effort in, perhaps they have got used to playing 1 hour corporate gigs in the US, it s a change of culture playing here, we expect more, What was odd was that as you came into the forum, pasted on the right hand wall was the stage times and it clearly said Devo onstage at 9pm curfew at 11pm.
Will i go next time ? your damn right i will :)
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
Fatbusjim
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Fatbusjim »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
Cheers for the review Mart, however I don't remember 'Red Eye Express' in the set. I think they just played the whole 'Are We Not Men?' album then 'Smart Patrol/Mr DNA and 'Gates Of Steel' in the encore.?Maybe I missed summat.Gotta echo the sentiments of disappointment though regarding the short set and the price of the ticket. Thought they definitely should have played a second encore.

However, I still enjoyed the show and they are great entertainment,aren't they? No way could I have missed this gig, a performance of one of my all-time favourite albums and possibly the last time I'll get to see DEVO in the U.K. The gig was rammed and I would imagine a sell out by the looks of it. Great also to see so many young people into the music as well.

I kicked off the evening at a place called Annie's Bar not far from the venue where the hardcore spuds were meeting for a pre-gig drink and to pick up their passes for the after show party. This was organised by a DEVO tribute band who actually performed at the party later.Some oddballs in this place I can tell thee!
After the gig we returned but it took a while for things to warm up and it was getting late soI didn't stick around for too long. The tribute band were rather quite good playing some of the more obscure stuff. Eventually, I noticed some of the DEVO contingent including ARTHUR STREEB-GREEBLINGS mate 'SHEVO' who is quite a babe! I introduced myself and she said "You're Arthurs friend!".... :shock: Apparently Gerald Casale was somewhere in the room but I'll be fucked if I could see him. Anyway, I couldn't be arsed to do any star spotting and headed for the last tube and thus missed out on meeting other band members.

So, a night of positives and negatives then but still unmissable all said and done.
Regardless of the negatives, I'm sure the positives far outweighed them, I'm still absolutely gutted I didn't make this gig :twisted: :twisted:
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

ThruBeingCool wrote: ARTHUR STREEB-GREEBLINGS mate 'SHEVO' who is quite a babe! I introduced myself and she said "You're Arthurs friend!".... :shock:

Aye She-V0's a babe alright.
Friends? I aint got any friends!
:grin:
Kathinboots
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Kathinboots »

Je deviens plus DEVO........! :smt001
Boogie now, Dave!
jbinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jbinblack »

Kathinboots wrote:Je deviens plus DEVO........! :smt001
Moi aussi! :lol:
Trust in God, but lock your car
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

C'est tout bon :!:
Kathinboots
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Kathinboots »

ThruBeingCool wrote:C'est tout bon :!:
ES IST GUT, JA? :twisted:
Boogie now, Dave!
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Attention JB EN NOIRE ET KATH DANS er.....erm...BOOTS!

Je voudrais un menage a trois :idea: Est-ce-que vous etes jouer? :wink: