The Doors

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Must say I don't listen to them much these days but at one point I loved them - then I was introduced to the Stranglers and owing to a much more extensive back catalogue gradually moved on and never looked back save for the odd album like LA Woman.

Anyone here like the Doors? Anyone planning on catching the tribute band featuring Ray and Robbie? Is Jim really dead? Were they overrated? :;):
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
quiffology
SHAKESPEARO

Post by quiffology »

Doors were great...
Pam
Rats Rally

Post by Pam »

Yes The Doors were great.

Saw the current incarnation at Wembley last month - one occasion when it was an advantage to be some distance from the stage - probably best not to spoil the image by seeing them too close-up! Thought it was as good as it could have been in the circumstances.

Have to admit to also having been to Pere Lachaise Cemetery; worth a visit even for non-Doors fans. Very impressive with various other "famous" graves such as Oscar Wilde, plus some very moving memorials to The Holocaust.

Pam
Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Alan A Hillier »

"This is the end, beautiful friend.
It hurts to set you free,
but you'll never follow me.
The end of laughter and soft lies.
The end of nights we tried to die.
This is the... end."

I liked (Like) the Doors too Grinder.

As I'm sure you know very well ....the Stranglers in their early days were constantly referred to as the 'British' Doors. It tripped from the tongues of countless journalists who all glibly proclaimed their comparison as an original thought (Is it likely) every time that phrase appeared it leapt from the pages of the NME or the M.M and its author seemed obsessed with the notion that he or she had just thought of it....How we laughed.If it wasn't that it was the 'Quintessentially English Band the Stranglers'.........

Although I could always see where the origins of this sobriquet were extracted from (Swirling keyboards and suchlike) it seemed at the time to be more than a little 'unsubstantiated' by facts and much more imbedded in a notion of what might be, or maybe, what some others wanted it to be.

The Stranglers were not the Doors.....and Visa Versa.

I feel sure that Jim Morrison would have loved the punk era. I also feel sure that those of us who so rudely survived it, have somehow missed the boat. Surely Sid knew what it was all about, James D knew what it was all about..... The rest of us????.who knows.Live fast ....die young........or not ..as the case may be.

"Between childhood, boyhood,
adolescence
& manhood (maturity) there
should be sharp lines drawn
Tests, deaths, feasts, rites
stories, songs & judgments.

"real poetry doesn't say anything, it just ticks off the possibilities... opens all doors you can walk through any one that suits you. If my poetry aims to achieve anything, it's to deliver people from the limited ways in which they see and feel."

My son James is off to Greece this July on that 13 year old (year 8) first trip abroad thing with his school.

I remember my first 13 year old trip abroad thing very, very well.
It was in late June early July 1971 and we went to a gloriously hot Paris.

I was 13 going on 20 and our hotel was just down the road from buildings in the Rue Beautreillis. These buildings were literally adjacent to the Hotel Bourges (Which is where these 30 little Finchley Boys were staying for two weeks) It really was literally a stones throw from our Parisian hotel when on the morning of July 3rd 1971 at 5am

Jim Morrison Died............... I was right there .......less than a 100 yards away.........

Our own webmaster Jimmy Radley once said to me when replying to an E Mail that I had sent him.....

"Right place...right Time Al"

I think that’s true............but I really wonder some times

Al

TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

Cool post Alan! :)
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

great post.

must admit: always loved the doors (my older brother played them 24/24 in the early seventies when i was a very little evonx)
my fave: waiting for the sun
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Sid Wainwright
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Sid Wainwright »

Yeah, the Doors were an amazing band! I also believe in terms of uniqueness that there'll never be a band like them again. I finally got The Doors Box Set Part 1 the other week and the live version of The End is unbelievable! Pure genius...
Alan A Hillier

Post by Alan A Hillier »

Sid Wainwright wrote:Yeah, the Doors were an amazing band! I also believe in terms of uniqueness that there'll never be a band like them again. I finally got The Doors Box Set Part 1 the other week and the live version of The End is unbelievable! Pure genius...
Your right Sid.........pure Genius......a driven genius. A genius that understands that in reality,there really are no rules other than those that are foisted upon us or those that we dutfully accept which allow us to conform and live our lives in accepted normality.Our reasonable behaviour is confirmation of our acceptance of those rules and I suppose without them we would be barbarians (As we once were)

Morrison was a barbarian in his physical world. He pushed and pushed untill he was absolutely certain that everyone was completely sure that he was undecipherable.He never wanted to be understood...that was his mission.....simply to react, experience, to feel and not to question and disect his distrust of things.............

Al
yellowcakeuf6
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by yellowcakeuf6 »

Alan A Hillier wrote:It really was literally a stones throw from our Parisian hotel when on the morning of July 3rd 1971 at 5am

Jim Morrison Died............... I was right there .......less than a 100 yards away.........
Mate,
You've got to be careful what you say. You didn't throw that stone did you?

Seriously,
How does that feel?
Alan A Hillier

Post by Alan A Hillier »

Fuck......I never thought about that Mr Yellowdude. All these years, I never meant to hit the geezer......honest guv...I was only little.

Isn't there a statute of limitations, or some legislation that protects 13-year murderers?.........or perhaps I should rely on a tried and tested courtroom incantation which will convince any jury to exonerate me...........

"If it don't fit....acquit"
"If it don't fit....acquit"

North London will be ablaze should they ignore that I hope that sways them.

"Get Johnny Cochran on the blower"

I'm not going down for this.............It's a fit up
(Your not a rozzer are ya yellow?)

I want my Mummy....................
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Jesus Al, you started early... five to four!

I loved the Doors, and from I have heard Morrison was an almighty boozer, and not as into drugs as some of the myth makers make out.

Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen...
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Organ Grinder »

John Densmore on Morrisons drinking:

"It's like an elephant walking into the room. There is elephant shit everywhere but nobody dares mention it"

Densmore used to suffer from nervous rashes when Morrison was alive. Not suprised he didn't wanna do the tour with Robbie and Ray. He suffered alot of mental demons because of the band for which he recieved councilling in the years following the bands' demise.

Sounds a bit of a John Ellis namby pamby type to me!
:boozer: :pissedagain: