Music related vids making you lol created during lockdown?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Music related vids making you lol created during lockdown?

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Im sure you all know Toyah and some may have heard of Robert Fripp and his band King Crimson.
Amongst many things Fripp is the only constant member of King Crimson and also had a solo career and played that iconic signature guitar lick on Bowie’s Heroes song.
You’ll prob know Fripp from his quite dissonant atonal guitar shredding noises added to Stranglers songs during the gigs where Hugh was doing some Prison time and also on The Stranglers & Friends CD (also with Toyah)
The gig according to JJ where Toyah and Robert Fripp met.

Toyah and Fripp have been posting some great and at times very funny vids on youtube during lockdown.
Here’s one of my faves -

Toyah and Robert are ‘discussing’ which has more cultural significance.... Toyah or King Crimson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZvhCNxjC88

Sorry Toyah, I admire you very much but King Crimson win that one!
:grin:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Music related vids making you lol created during lockdown?

Post by StanInBlack »

In the Court of the Crimson King and Red are both top tier prog albums, IMO. The former is probably the first "classic" of the genre and was ahead of the pack with it being released in 1969. The breakdown in the middle of "21st Century Schizoid Man" is some absolutely top notch musicianship. Red, on the other hand, a massive favourite of Kurt Cobain's and it's not hard to see why, the riffage on the title track and on "Fallen Angel" is some potent stuff. Larks' Tongues in Aspic isn't too bad either, but a definite grower.

For me, though, the best King Crimson record is the first by the '80s Crimson line-up of Fripp, Adrian Belew, Tony Levin and Bill Bruford. Discipline is one of the finest records of the '80s, I think - and up there with my favourite ever prog albums. Shame that line-up never quite matched it.
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

I find doubling the Fripp doubles the hilarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UExF-62lPdE
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

porkymeat wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 23:02 I find doubling the Fripp doubles the hilarity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UExF-62lPdE
Just watched that recently, yeah 2 Fripps for the price of a Fripp (no idea what a Fripp is or if it’s even a currency or not)
8)
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 22:25 In the Court of the Crimson King and Red are both top tier prog albums, IMO. The former is probably the first "classic" of the genre and was ahead of the pack with it being released in 1969. The breakdown in the middle of "21st Century Schizoid Man" is some absolutely top notch musicianship. Red, on the other hand, a massive favourite of Kurt Cobain's and it's not hard to see why, the riffage on the title track and on "Fallen Angel" is some potent stuff. Larks' Tongues in Aspic isn't too bad either, but a definite grower.

For me, though, the best King Crimson record is the first by the '80s Crimson line-up of Fripp, Adrian Belew, Tony Levin and Bill Bruford. Discipline is one of the finest records of the '80s, I think - and up there with my favourite ever prog albums. Shame that line-up never quite matched it.
Stan, have you attended any or many King Crimson gigs?
My list is getting shorter but they are still on my list of bands I need to see.

I saw Robert Fripp playing at the NYC Worlds Trade Centre back in Nov 2000. I did the excellent trip up to the top of the WTC for the incredible views and on the way down was just wandering about and saw a sign ‘Robert Fripp playing here at 2pm’ or something similar.
Couldn’t believed my luck (Saw The Buzzcocks a few days later and on the night after my birthday at the NYC Bowery Ballroom, another great experience I stumbled upon by luck) and being a guitar player and fan I had to see this so waited around a bit and took a seat right near the front. The ‘performance’ was free and was Mr Fripp with his huge racks of guitar fx and pedals and basically performing his ‘Soundscapes’ / Frippertronics. Beautiful Loud Ambient/Terrifying/ Uplifting etc sounds filling the whole WTC auditorium from Mr Fripp and his fingers and fx.

I didn’t realise Fripp was seriously anti photos and upon taking a few I got some seriously dirty looks from him and the Fripp/ Crimson fans, even the security started to point and move in on me. Scary, not experienced this before at a gig. A nice looking young lady kept getting closer to me during Fripp’s Frippertronics, she must have been impressed with totally my anarchic photo taking incident and eventually she ended up sat just behind me, she seemed a bit stalker-ish but I didn’t mind and after the performance I started to chat with her and some of the Fripp/ Crimson fans, one a SJW hippy type nazi who took exception to my 3 photos I had taken and I eventually had a chat with her, I asked her out for a drink to which she replied “I don’t drink” Er so that was the end of that. Quite.
But yes back to Fripp, yes Robert I was enjoying the moment but I was on a once in a council estate lads lifetime trip around and exploring the world and just needed to photograph some of the many parts of this incredible unforgettable adventure/ experience.

Anyway this is my only Crimson related gig but will deffo try and get to see the man in the latest line up of King Crimson if at all possible. Certainly won’t be on my iPhone texting, talking or especially taking photos this time.
8)
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

:lol:

Toyah & Robert Fripp's Sunday Lunch: Women Dancing to King Crimson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXErrpAHxkc

I’d like to see more dancing like that at Stranglers & Hugh gigs.
:grin:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Fripp is a great guitarist but I only really like his stuff with Bowie.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

theraven1979 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 17:08 Fripp is a great guitarist but I only really like his stuff with Bowie.

Jim
Aye that guitar lick in Heroes is a fave. Simple yet beautiful and really sticks in ones head.