The Clash

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

The Clash

Post by jason »

Am I missing something? I like Spanish bombs, Rock the Casbah, London Calling , 1977 and a few other tracks are ok but are they the most over rated band ever? They sound really bland to me compared to the Stranglers or am I missing something? :?
aldinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The Clash

Post by aldinblack »

They are not as good as the Stranglers but then who is ? They can't match the musical adventure and musicianship or the variety and size of catalogue, nor quirkiness of the Stranglers but then who can ?

The Clash were still a fucking great band IMO, and London Calling is a great album through and through- and that album as a standalone double album is difficult to beat by any band. The 2nd album Give em enough rope, and the 4th Combat Rock are also great. The first album I find a bit limited musically and certainly no match for Rattus. But it has good songs and is a good "punk rock" album.

The tribute band called London Calling are excellent imo and really worth seeing if you like Clash music.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I just get the feeling a lot people like them because it's cool to like them!
aldinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by aldinblack »

jason wrote:I just get the feeling a lot people like them because it's cool to like them!
yes that is true, there are those who wear the t shirt, a bit like the Ramones.

In terms of "style" the clash were not for me, but the Stranglers' dark & a bit dangerous image fascinated me.

But if you ignore all that style/image stuff there really is some good music with the Clash, we'll I think so anyway...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I liked The Clash ...... for a fairly short while . I thought the first album was great , 2nd very good ....... but once the reggae and other stuff surfaced I completely lost interest in them . London Calling didn't do a lot for me , Sandanista I found awful , but then I generally don't like South American/Spanish style stuff like that anyway . I'd gotten into the hardcore punk by that stage , though The Stranglers I still liked ( always been my favourite ) .... Crass summed The Clash up for me , saying they'd sold out . The Clash to me by LC/Sandanista stage , were nothing to do with The Clash of the punk era ....now The Stranglers by that stage had gone soft , but you listen and you can still tell its The Stranglers .... The Clash for instance "Rock The Casbah " , you ask a 76/77 punk who that was and if they hadn't heard it they wouldn't have a clue - there was NOTHING of the punk Clash in that . Obviously it did there sales worldwide no harm at all , but it lost a hell of a lot of original fans . To me The Jam were far more genuine - Weller gave that up when he was doing his stuff as it didn't fit with what The Jam were about - he could have sold far far more under The Jam name than Paul Weller , but he didn't , he moved and did his own stuff under a different name/s and credit to him for that . I have far more time for Weller than The Clash ....just my opinion of course .
All quiet ..........
Lafleur
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Lafleur »

Always liked The Clash and most of their music but always preferred The Stranglers, best band of the whole Punk/New Wave area. The Clash were very productive, even more than The Stranglers in those years (1979/1980 - double and triple Clash albums). But you can't compare the two bands, so you shouldn't.
And by the way, bring on a new Stranglers album soon, just for downloading will be ok. There's enough time for writing and recording new stuff (JJ must have 500+ song ideas in the next few months).
jetblacksdad

Post by jetblacksdad »

Some great singles. They had the look. Lots of slogans but they were pretty superficial.
I have a few albums but I don't think any of them were that great singers.

Just "OK"

Never seen why people rate them so highly!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Lafleur wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 11:37 Always liked The Clash and most of their music but always preferred The Stranglers, best band of the whole Punk/New Wave area. The Clash were very productive, even more than The Stranglers in those years (1979/1980 - double and triple Clash albums). But you can't compare the two bands, so you shouldn't.
And by the way, bring on a new Stranglers album soon, just for downloading will be ok. There's enough time for writing and recording new stuff (JJ must have 500+ song ideas in the next few months).
Yes let's hope JJ and Baz have written some masterpieces for us to enjoy one day!
Josh

Post by Josh »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 10:57 I liked The Clash ...... for a fairly short while . I thought the first album was great , 2nd very good ....... but once the reggae and other stuff surfaced I completely lost interest in them . London Calling didn't do a lot for me , Sandanista I found awful , but then I generally don't like South American/Spanish style stuff like that anyway . I'd gotten into the hardcore punk by that stage , though The Stranglers I still liked ( always been my favourite ) .... Crass summed The Clash up for me , saying they'd sold out . The Clash to me by LC/Sandanista stage , were nothing to do with The Clash of the punk era ....now The Stranglers by that stage had gone soft , but you listen and you can still tell its The Stranglers .... The Clash for instance "Rock The Casbah " , you ask a 76/77 punk who that was and if they hadn't heard it they wouldn't have a clue - there was NOTHING of the punk Clash in that . Obviously it did there sales worldwide no harm at all , but it lost a hell of a lot of original fans . To me The Jam were far more genuine - Weller gave that up when he was doing his stuff as it didn't fit with what The Jam were about - he could have sold far far more under The Jam name than Paul Weller , but he didn't , he moved and did his own stuff under a different name/s and credit to him for that . I have far more time for Weller than The Clash ....just my opinion of course .
Pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

With The Clash you always had a prominent frontman in the shape of Strummer with the political sloganeering/posturing etc. I think Strummer appeals to more people (as in Joe Public....speaking! :lol: ) as a frontman than say the subtlety of Hugh for example. Americans lapped it up and they were all over it also, unlike another band I can think of :lol:

For me I enjoy they're albums, even the solo stuff - which reminds me I need to give Strummer's Earthquake Weather a much needed spin!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

At least Rock the Casbah has a great hook to it but some of their other songs on say Combat Rock don't seem to have any strong hook or melody at all! Maybe the Clash need a lot of repeated listening to get into them? :?
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

theraven1979 wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 15:26 With The Clash you always had a prominent frontman in the shape of Strummer with the political sloganeering/posturing etc. I think Strummer appeals to more people (as in Joe Public....speaking! :lol: ) as a frontman than say the subtlety of Hugh for example. Americans lapped it up and they were all over it also, unlike another band I can think of :lol:

For me I enjoy they're albums, even the solo stuff - which reminds me I need to give Strummer's Earthquake Weather a much needed spin!

Jim
I guess the difference between the bands is , politically The Clash had something to say , whereas The Stranglers were never political ( bar JJ's odd comments about USA from time to time ) ...so you then think Strummer has an agenda but The Stranglers don't . Maybe The Clash were the first punk band of their era that I know of to actively bring politics into music , the Pistols never got involved in politics to that extent , they just wound EVERYONE up but a bit tongue in cheek sometimes . There was no humour though with The Clash , the Pistols could be funny , The Stranglers wound a lot up but it wasn't political . But you look at the 3 bands there , and you think the real one's with attitude were The Stranglers , you look at Hugh's sneer , or JJ's aggression and it looked for real , with the others a lot of the time it looked put on , especially when you watch old clips now . Out of those , you really wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of The Stranglers ( esp JJ) , The Clash would probably lecture you , The Pistols would swear at you but not much else ........ The Stranglers would violate you :grin: . Don't know why I'm smiling at that :oops:
All quiet ..........