Ginger Baker RIP-possibly the greatest drummer ever?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

PJayBe
Down In The Sewer

Re: Ginger Baker RIP-possibly the greatest drummer ever?

Post by PJayBe »

Certainly the angriest!! Amazing soloist if you like that sort of thing.....
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Like or Loathe him Ginger was an amazing drummer,off thread but when it comes to drum solos the late great Buddy Rich is hard to beat,you can find

them on Youtube, the ones I have seen are just amazing and Buddy had a reputation not being the nicest bloke (seems to go with the territory) I have

heard rumours about an Ex Strangler being not very pleasant to,sorry to go off thread.
cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by cerdan6899 »

I was recently trying to list Stranglers songs with an unconventional back beat ( don't know if that's the correct wording ), early stuff going back as far as Rattus. Some really clever beats played by a Mr JB. Tracks like Peaches, Ugly, Dead Ringer, Tolouse...just to mention a few, clever stuff. On the subject of drummers i'm going to throw my own in the mix, one of the best i've heard...Jimmy Chamberlin, Smashin Pumkins.
i want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 15:09 Like or Loathe him Ginger was an amazing drummer,off thread but when it comes to drum solos the late great Buddy Rich is hard to beat,you can find

them on Youtube, the ones I have seen are just amazing and Buddy had a reputation not being the nicest bloke (seems to go with the territory) I have

heard rumours about an Ex Strangler being not very pleasant to,sorry to go off thread.
Actually it does ring a bell does that, most drummers probably aren’t very pleasant.
A so called friend of mine who I’ve known since I was about 5 is a drummer and a real shite one at that too. Unfortunately I’ve been in Bands with him. Besides being the biggest teller of lies on the planet he’s also always been a bit of a bully and once picked on this guy too many times, the guy who was getting bullied later came back with his mate who was built like Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) and he proceeded to smash my friends already unpleasant looking face to bits. It was a hilarious, blood everywhere and old women in the street screaming and shouting for The Police.
My friend then said he was going to get the Hells Angels onto this guy to sort him out and I laughed and said you don’t even know any Hells Angels, just a few bikers who liked to think they were Hells Angels.
He asked why I didn’t come to his aid, I said you bullied the guy and not me and besides do I look like a fucking idiot? Do you think an 8 stone weed (I was seriously ill at the time) like me is gonna be able to sort that guy out? He woulda snapped me in half. Anyway he only brought all this on himself and I warned him several times to leave that guy alone but he never listened so he got what he deserved and our friendship came to an end thank god, he’s probably in prison now getting bullied!

I’ve recently being seeing his ex and she’s told me some right stories about him and sez he’s a complete wanker who was always trying to bully people, lied constantly to her and others and she also said he was shite on the drums too.
:lol:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

cerdan6899 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 12:08 I was recently trying to list Stranglers songs with an unconventional back beat ( don't know if that's the correct wording ), early stuff going back as far as Rattus. Some really clever beats played by a Mr JB. Tracks like Peaches, Ugly, Dead Ringer, Tolouse...just to mention a few, clever stuff. On the subject of drummers i'm going to throw my own in the mix, one of the best i've heard...Jimmy Chamberlin, Smashin Pumkins.
Yes so many clever beats from Mr Black,just as important to The Stranglers sound as JJ or style,I still think "Genetix" is the best drum pattern,I have heard,just an amazingly creative piece of work and the rest of the song is great,possibly the best Stranglers track apart from "Sewer" and "Toiler"?

Off thread a bit.Lt Kudu on ops in the sticks.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 19:36
Greatkudu wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 15:09 Like or Loathe him Ginger was an amazing drummer,off thread but when it comes to drum solos the late great Buddy Rich is hard to beat,you can find

No most drummers are good blokes,the ex Strangler I was alluding to was ? not a drummer.
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 14:31
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 19:36

No most drummers are good blokes,the ex Strangler I was alluding to was ? not a drummer.
Unfortunately I missed out on the opportunity to see him play. I did however bump into him whilst sightseeing in Rome when I was about 15. Coincidentally an older relative of mine who is also my doppelganger had a run in with him in the service lift backstage at the Top Rank in Swansea a little over a decade earlier. He'd allegedly tried to hit on her and she was having none of it. Small world innit. I'll speak as I find, he seemed nice enough to me. She had a bit of a thing for Stuart Copeland after we saw him coincidentally at the Top Rank. ( Some people on this site may remember a gang of punks who habitually hung out in the street outside Virgin Records being commandeered to run across the Kingsway for a shot in the Message in a Bottle video. ( I dare say stuck up, sneering, grandiose Wendy was among them and possibly 'Jennay' my "clean up woman")). Digressing slightly; I really rate John Densmore as a drummer, if you want to talk about a seemingly incongruent mix of styles coming together to form a perfect fusion in a band. Again, I also met this young drummer about 25 years ago who did, apparently, some session work with The Bangles . I just thought he was absolutely awesome and was bound to be going places but I never heard of him after that much to my surprise. I guess we aren't, not musically, but psychologically prepared to take that leap of faith in Wales. I blame it on misplaced nationalism which inevitably rears its ugly head as nepotism.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Interesting, really so many great drummers, but the one drummer who more or less invented modern drumming a a we know it was Gene Krupa, he also invented alot of the cymbals that drummers use today, a pioneer, oh and he served time in Jail for smoking dope, a bit of a bad boy to, but he was just before Buddy Rich another great of the drum world, then we can mention Alvin Jones, I could go on but would be boring you to much. Lt Kudu just off supersports bike and hyped up.
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

Greatkudu wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 09:25 Interesting, really so many great drummers, but the one drummer who more or less invented modern drumming a a we know it was Gene Krupa, he also invented alot of the cymbals that drummers use today, a pioneer, oh and he served time in Jail for smoking dope, a bit of a bad boy to, but he was just before Buddy Rich another great of the drum world, then we can mention Alvin Jones, I could go on but would be boring you to much. Lt Kudu just off supersports bike and hyped up.
Elvin Jones
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

airflamesred wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 11:58
Greatkudu wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 09:25 Interesting, really so many great drummers, but the one drummer who more or less invented modern drumming a a we know it was Gene Krupa, he also invented alot of the cymbals that drummers use today, a pioneer, oh and he served time in Jail for smoking dope, a bit of a bad boy to, but he was just before Buddy Rich another great of the drum world, then we can mention Alvin Jones, I could go on but would be boring you to much. Lt Kudu just off supersports bike and hyped up.
Elvin Jones
I stand corrected. Lt Kudu.
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

Greatkudu wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 14:05
airflamesred wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 11:58
Elvin Jones
I stand corrected. Lt Kudu.
You may sit now :lol:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

:grin: