Spear of Destiny-1865 Southampton 11/09/19/.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Spear of Destiny-1865 Southampton 11/09/19/.

Post by Greatkudu »

I have been a fan of Spear of Destiny since they started in 1983 after the demise of Theatre of Hate,who kirk has now reformed a few years ago,Spear

were a bit mellower than TOH a natural evolution of sound,since 1983 Spear have released 14 albums,fora time in the 80's they were on the verge of

the really big time,had some chart success but misfortune hit Kirk,you can read all about it on line,it's in the past,but the worst thing was in 2012 Kirk

nearly died from heart trouble but like the trooper he is,he overcame this and is touring more than ever with Spear and his second band Theatre of Hate,there is a bit of cross pollination as Spear Guitar player Adrian Portas plays in TOH as well.

The gig at the 1865 venue in Southampton or Sampton in local dialect was part of the "One Eyed Jack's" tour,one of their best albums,released in 1984.

I have seen Spear 6 or 7 times over the years,I missed out in their peak,to busy with The Stranglers,but on Wednesday it was a joy to behold,Kirk has one of the best voices I have heard,and even though he has lost an octave (his words after I met him after gig) his voice is still amazing,I have never
seen anyone sing with so much passion,the range is still amazing.

They started of with "Rainmaker" and worked through the album,after the album we had "Rosie" then the rousing "Grapes of Wrath" from the first album,it almost bought tears to my eyes the way he sang that,and one of my favs of Spear.

They then wen't off and played some choice cuts from Spear over the years,Including "Prison Planet" and "Soldier Soldier" ending with a rousing version

of "World Service" with Kirk conducting the crowd in a singalong,I even joined in,it must have been good,before i go on I must mention his band,it

had saxophone added due to sax parts on "One Eyed Jack's",he enlisted TOH sax player to do the parts.The band he has are all shit hot musicians from

Craig Adams on bass to Mike Martini on drums,keys provided by Steve Allen Jones ex alarm,this band is one of the longest lineups of Spear as there

has been a revolving door policy over the years,the sound was brilliant,you could hear everything clear,a pretty good size crowd to,with some real

hardcores who have piled on the pounds over the years.It was the best I have ever seen them,Kirk was happy and engaging with the crowd and there

was a good spirit on the stage,they played from 21.15 to 22.45 and every song was played with a energy and passion.If you haven't seen Kirk and the

boys before I urge you to go along,it's just fucking great music with one of the greatest voices you will hear,oh and Kirk came out afterwards

(he doesn't always) I had nice chat with him,a fucking nice bloke to,one of the best gigs I have been to for along time,Spear are fucking great.

Lt Kudu over and out.Ps apologies for the swearing,I think Ive seen Baz to many times.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Spear of Destiny-1865 Southampton 11/09/19/.

Post by aldinblack »

What a great review. Never seen them but will be looking to do so now...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 00:14 What a great review. Never seen them but will be looking to do so now...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Thank's for kind words.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Heard they played out of their skins in Glasgow
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

MiB81 wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 11:26 Heard they played out of their skins in Glasgow
Yes I don't think Kirk knows any other way,looking at tour it seems best one for years,Kirk and band really on fire and he has a fucking great band,sorry

for the swearing.