The Damned-Bath Komedia-28/06/19.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

The Damned-Bath Komedia-28/06/19.

Post by Greatkudu »

Fuck Glastonbury I say,although this gig was Glasto warm up and surprise,surprise no coverage of "The Damned" at Glasto on the beeb.

Well on a fucking hot sweaty night in pricey Bath,the Damned took to the stage just after 21.00 with the intro tune being the Avengers theme,first song

was the mighty "Love Song" as they played the whole of "Machine Gun Etiquette" as it is the 40th anniversary of the album this year,not much to say

really except the band were on top form,"Dave Vanian" wore a clowns nose for the darkly comic "These Hands",the rest of the set was from "The Black

Album",and a mixture of albums ignoring "Music for Pleasure" and "So Who's Paranoid" an album they seem to hate for some reason,a few good songs on

that album,also played were some odd singles like "Nasty" which Dave Vanian dedicated to Rik Mayall (obviously) Before I move on the only

disappointment was not enough songs from the excellent "Evil Spirits" we only got "SOTEOT" which they had to start twice due to some fuck up with the

drum sample at the start ( a minor point).Now let's move on this band at the moment are just amazing live,Dave Vanian's voice has to be one of the

best in modern music,just fantastic he gets more eccentric as he gets older,and never seems to age (he must really be a Vampire ?) he stalks the stage

like he is prowling for blood in his all black outfit,minus the frock coat tonight due to the sweat bath that was the "Komedia" a sold out 615 capacity

venue,rammed to the rafters,with the scent of stale body odour (Lovely).The thing with The Damned they have a great time and engage the crowd

especially the "Ignite" singalong,the band were so impressed by the crowds effort,they applauded from the stage,Dave Vanian seemed very happy

with the response,he is one cool chap.Then you have the polar opposite in the Captain,tacky dresser and loudmouth,but its that yin and yang that

brings the magic to The Damned,not forgetting the insane Monty (a great player) and the brilliant Paul Grey back on the bass for the last year or so.

And not forgetting the amazing drumming of Pinch,now he is one of the best drummers I have seen,just incredible skill in all aspects of drumming,

he is true to Rats original drum parts but puts his own stamp on them to,he did get pissed off after around 4 songs "asking if the lighting man,needed

strobe in every fucking song,and then he had a tirade against the tory leadership race,it got a mixed reaction from the crowd.Moving on they played

"Curtain Call" in the encore and finished with "White Rabbit" odd choice,the sound was very good to,to sum up this band are just fucking amazing at

the moment and the gig showed The Damned on top form,and of course we had a prick who was pissed out of his brains,who kept on falling over and

knocking into people,he nearly got thumped by a square looking bloke in front of me,oh well good to know it's not just Stranglers gigs that attract

the pricks,I urge you to see The Damned if you haven't before,IMHO the best live band around apart from The Stranglers.Lt Kudu on OPs in the sticks,over and out.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Damned-Bath Komedia-28/06/19.

Post by pigeon »

Great review

I went to Brighton Concorde on The Wednesday. It was good to heard "MGE" in full, as some of those are some of my favourite Damned Songs, "Love Song", "Second time around", & "I just can't be happy today", "Antipope", "noise, noise noise", "Plan 9 channel 7", "Melody lee" and "Smash it up" are all regulars in their set. enjoyed the debut of "These hands" too. We also got "Liar" and "Looking at you"

The frontline of Dave, Captain and Paul Gray back on bass have put them back up at their best. I would say they have been on fire since 2015!, not seen a bad gig in 4 years which is very un damned like, ok Camden Rocks was a bit meh! and Hyde Park.

Dave is such a charismatic singer, he's voice dress sense & stage presence makes him the main viewing point of the band. Captain too but he's role of "i hate this, i hate that" is funny at first, but get's a bit tireing after a while

I was shocked too with only "Standing on the edge of tomorrow" is the only song that survives from the great "Evil Spirits" album. But the second set is pretty standard, "Street of Dreams", a nice treat of "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" & "13th floor Vendetta", Dave's inner Vincent price comes out during this song, "Nasty" is alway's a good one to hear live, plus the hits of "New Rose" & "Neat,neat neat", "So messed up" made it in from Damned, Damned, Damned too then the encore "Curtain Call", "Ignite", "Jet boy, Jet Girl" and "Smash it up"

The Damned continue to be on fire at the moment. Looking forward to the next time i see them,whenever that will be, was unsucsesfull in getting a ticket for A night of a Thousand Vampires at the London Palladium in October.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

pigeon wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 12:23 Great review

I went to Brighton Concorde on The Wednesday. It was good to heard "MGE" in full, as some of those are some of my favourite Damned Songs, "Love Song", "Second time around", & "I just can't be happy today", "Antipope", "noise, noise noise", "Plan 9 channel 7", "Melody lee" and "Smash it up" are all regulars in their set. enjoyed the debut of "These hands" too. We also got "Liar" and "Looking at you"

The frontline of Dave, Captain and Paul Gray back on bass have put them back up at their best. I would say they have been on fire since 2015!, not seen a bad gig in 4 years which is very un damned like, ok Camden Rocks was a bit meh! and Hyde Park.

Dave is such a charismatic singer, he's voice dress sense & stage presence makes him the main viewing point of the band. Captain too but he's role of "i hate this, i hate that" is funny at first, but get's a bit tireing after a while

I was shocked too with only "Standing on the edge of tomorrow" is the only song that survives from the great "Evil Spirits" album. But the second set is pretty standard, "Street of Dreams", a nice treat of "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" & "13th floor Vendetta", Dave's inner Vincent price comes out during this song, "Nasty" is alway's a good one to hear live, plus the hits of "New Rose" & "Neat,neat neat", "So messed up" made it in from Damned, Damned, Damned too then the encore "Curtain Call", "Ignite", "Jet boy, Jet Girl" and "Smash it up" & ended with a brilliant version of White Rabbit"

The Damned continue to be on fire at the moment. Looking forward to the next time i see them,whenever that will be, was unsucsesfull in getting a ticket for A night of a Thousand Vampires at the London Palladium in October.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

pigeon wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 12:23 Great review

Thank's sir,yes they are amazing at the moment,they key is having Mr Grey back,and I couldn't get tickets fore the Palladium gig,i misjudged how fast

they would sell,a lesson learnt,don't wait do it,Only band as good live at mo is The Stranglers IMHO,but The Damned run them close.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Great review. Aye they are like a few bands like Killing Joke for instance who are just seeming to be getting better in their old age. Damned gigs are always great and a good larf with the captain.

When I saw The Damned with The Stranglers at the ‘Dracfest’ in 1997 I had a good chat with the Captain and at the time I was dating a rather gorgeous model.
She remembered as a kid his version of ‘Happy Talk’ and was desperate for a photo with the good old Captain.
She posed with him and stood there kissing him and I had trouble getting the flash to work on me camera and it was taking ages to get the fucker to work.
The Captain said “Cor blimey! Take your time mate”
He was loving it, it was hilarious.
Lol.
:grin: