From The Jam

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: RE: Re: From The Jam

Post by aldinblack »

aldinblack wrote:well comparisons have and still can be drawn, I beleive there would've been some rivalry back in the day...

both have the same kind of sound obviously. JJ has maybe had that extra dimension of "quirkyness", which is unique to him.

Both have a distinguished stage presence which you only get with time.

I did some "barrier crunching" on Friday and watched him play, he must have noticed my Stranglers t-shirt lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Snowbird wrote:Christ, Bruce looks fcukin knackered sat down there. I'd say that JJ has aged better and is the spritelier of the two.
mmm not really. He sat down to play a couple of "semi accoustic" songs, as did the lead singer Hastings about half way through the gig.
They then got up and continued through the rest of the set. Looked very well & energetic to me and very trim with no sign of any middle aged spread at all

I Hate You !
Snowbird
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: From The Jam

Post by Snowbird »

Acoustic bass?
A rope ladder of hair.A Babylon for him to climb.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

No not accoustic bass. Hastings played accoustic guitar and they slowed it ight dowm with laid back songs like Fly & That's entertainment. With hardly any drumming at all.

A nice interlude to a great gig !

I Hate You !
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 12:17 The history of JJ v Foxton .
Around 77-82 both The Jam and The Stranglers were very popular , this sort of played out not only in singles charts but also NME and Sounds year best of polls . Hugh never really featured but JJ and Foxton were always top 2 in any bass player poll .JJ won the early ones but The Jams then huge popularity won Foxton the later polls . Wasn't really about who was really the best but who had most fans , the Jam usually got best band over The Stranglers due to the fans of neither preferring The Jam .......probably a far less controversial band at the time . Incidentally DG usually won best keyboards hands down .
Who was best ? I'd vote JJ and Stranglers but I'm biased , they were different styles .
I never said I didn't want to discuss Oz , just a very old topic long forgotten.

Yep I remember the polls well, still got all my Stranglers press cuttings from ‘77 onwards, I think Hugh did come like 9th once in one of the best ‘Guitar Players’ polls.

I really Loved The Jam and Bruce Foxtons bass lines always impressed me but technique and melody wise he’s no where near as good as our JJ.
8)

As for ‘From The Jam’ I wouldn’t mind seeing em but at first I found it all a bit naff, a bit embarrassing to be honest, playing Wellers songs with a Weller lookalike, but I guess there loads of people out there who wanna hear all those great Jam songs, my fave album is ‘Setting Sons’, I would really love to hear em play all of that.

Weller plays a few Jam songs and even played ‘Boy About Town’ on a BBC FOUR concert the other night, slightly different arrangement with orchestra and brass section though.
He’s just turned 60 and has certainly aged in the last 10 years, still looks smart and cool as fuck though.
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 28 Nov 2018, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

ozymandias wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 11:24 Bruce a better bass player than JJ? Discuss...
See above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

https://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/ ... 5&start=12

:lol:
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 12:17 The history of JJ v Foxton .
Around 77-82 both The Jam and The Stranglers were very popular , this sort of played out not only in singles charts but also NME and Sounds year best of polls . Hugh never really featured but JJ and Foxton were always top 2 in any bass player poll .JJ won the early ones but The Jams then huge popularity won Foxton the later polls . Wasn't really about who was really the best but who had most fans , the Jam usually got best band over The Stranglers due to the fans of neither preferring The Jam .......probably a far less controversial band at the time . Incidentally DG usually won best keyboards hands down .
Who was best ? I'd vote JJ and Stranglers but I'm biased , they were different styles .
I never said I didn't want to discuss Oz , just a very old topic long forgotten.
Thanks for the info :smile: