new damned album

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: new damned album

Post by parasiteinblack »

jason wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 19:50 Feel it live was the last one.
Don't forget "Black and White Live" in 2016 if that counts.

In my collection I have:
Hugh era: Live X Cert, All Live, Saturday Night Sunday Morning, BBC Hammersmith Odeon 81, Apollo Revisited,
Paul era: Access All Areas, Friday the Thirteenth, 5 Live 01, Coast to Coast, (plus Euro Live and On Stage and Screen DVDs)
Baz era: Meninblackinbrugge, Feel It Live, Black and White Live, (plus there are at least three official live DVDs from this era)

Including all the SIS releases and the "Official Fan Club" live album, if anything it's quite Paul-heavy.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

jason wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 19:50 Feel it live was the last one.
That was 2013. There's been two more since then.

'Black And White Live' was 2016.
'Rattus Relived' was 2017 (on vinyl) and 2018 (on CD) (but includes recordings from 2007, 2010, 2014 and 2016).
ManInBrown
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

It was a tongue in cheek comment I made about a ne live album being due ....however if they did one I'd get it ........ there are probably ample of the modern era , pretty much every one has Heroes and bloody Golden Brown on it , so if they did a vastly revised set next year ( say for example, Choosy , Tomorrow , Social Secs ..... even throw in something off Fire & Water , JJ and Dave still there and would make little difference to the other two what is played ) , it would be well worth it if its a fair bit of rare live material ........ I do know none of that will happen , but its just an idea :grin: . We can chuck idea's around on here , you never know , the band might read it and say " hey , lets have a go at that , something different " .
All quiet ..........
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: RE: Re: new damned album

Post by aldinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote:It was a tongue in cheek comment I made about a ne live album being due ....however if they did one I'd get it ........ there are probably ample of the modern era , pretty much every one has Heroes and bloody Golden Brown on it , so if they did a vastly revised set next year ( say for example, Choosy , Tomorrow , Social Secs ..... even throw in something off Fire & Water , JJ and Dave still there and would make little difference to the other two what is played ) , it would be well worth it if its a fair bit of rare live material ........ I do know none of that will happen , but its just an idea :grin: . We can chuck idea's around on here , you never know , the band might read it and say " hey , lets have a go at that , something different " .
We can all dream I guess...

There's more chance of mercury rising getting played !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

aldinblack wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 12:53
Jon the Impaler wrote:It was a tongue in cheek comment I made about a ne live album being due ....however if they did one I'd get it ........ there are probably ample of the modern era , pretty much every one has Heroes and bloody Golden Brown on it , so if they did a vastly revised set next year ( say for example, Choosy , Tomorrow , Social Secs ..... even throw in something off Fire & Water , JJ and Dave still there and would make little difference to the other two what is played ) , it would be well worth it if its a fair bit of rare live material ........ I do know none of that will happen , but its just an idea :grin: . We can chuck idea's around on here , you never know , the band might read it and say " hey , lets have a go at that , something different " .

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't say things like that . Really puts a bummer on my weekend even thinking of that pile of dross , so I'm not going to et the slightest inkling of a thought of it enter my head . If there's the slightest chance that thing would be played next tour , I wouldn't go , despite whatever else is played ....yes , I hate it that much .
All quiet ..........
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Actually this topic has gone right off topic - all my fault I think . Should post tour stuff on the right thread .
All quiet ..........
Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Fredib »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 May 2018, 16:27 Still love this album after many listens,still superb,well done "The Damned" and Mr Visconti for the top notch production,wish he would produce the new Stranglers Album,they need an outside opinion as Louie is a bit to close to be objective IMHO.
+1 perfect comment
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I wouldn't say the production was better on Evil Spirits than Giants. I thought Giants sounded fine.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

jason wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 12:47 I wouldn't say the production was better on Evil Spirits than Giants. I thought Giants sounded fine.
Giants sounds fine but amateurish. Evil Spirits sounds a load better, and a lot more expensive.
Compare these two reasonably similar moments from both albums:
The guitar break in Mercury Rising, and the guitar break in Look Left.
The jangly bits in Boom Boom, the jangly bits in Sonar Deceit.

The drums in particular sound better on the Damned album. Stranglers might just edge it for the synths though.

Damned album is stronger in my opinion.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 14:51
aldinblack wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 12:53

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't say things like that . Really puts a bummer on my weekend even thinking of that pile of dross , so I'm not going to et the slightest inkling of a thought of it enter my head . If there's the slightest chance that thing would be played next tour , I wouldn't go , despite whatever else is played ....yes , I hate it that much .

Why all the unnecessary hate for this song? The Stranglers have done far worse. :smile:
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Greatkudu wrote: 02 May 2018, 16:27 Still love this album after many listens,still superb,well done "The Damned" and Mr Visconti for the top notch production,wish he would produce the new Stranglers Album,they need an outside opinion as Louie is a bit to close to be objective IMHO.
Yes indeed Mr GreatKudu, getting Mr Visconti in would be a great move, the guy is currently one of the best in what he does, just listen to the Bowie albums, brilliant work, but let’s face it hes always been great at wha he does.
Shame Martin Rushent isn’t with us anymore, I bet he would have produced a cracker, hes so underrated, never gets talked about, which is a bloody shame, that guy new a thing or two about production, his work with The Stranglers was just phenomenal.
:grin: 8) :smt007 :smt008
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Yes indeed Mr GreatKudu, getting Mr Visconti in would be a great move, the guy is currently one of the best in what he does, just listen to the Bowie albums or La Folie, brilliant work, but let’s face it hes always been great at what he does.
Shame Martin Rushent isn’t with us anymore, I bet he would have produced a cracker, hes so underrated, never gets talked about, which is a bloody shame, that guy new a thing or two about production, his work with The Stranglers was just phenomenal.
:grin: 8) :smt007 :smt008
Sorry to disappoint you mate the kisses and love things are for Visconti and Rushent!
:smt007 :smt008 :smt006