"The Damned"- Manchester Academy 31/01/18 spoilers inc

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

"The Damned"- Manchester Academy 31/01/18 spoilers inc

Post by Greatkudu »

Well,Well,Well.Captain Kudu reporting from Sunny Madchester or was as back in suburbs now.Down to brass tack's.I haven't seen The Damned since

2007,just been concentrating on "The Stranglers" to my musical loss,More about that in a bit.Support was the brilliant "Slim Jim Phantom" from The

Straycats (just in case you didn't know) his three piece band took us through a very enjoyable Rockabilly master class from 20.00-20.30,lots of

"Straycat" songs with other classics thrown in like "Cmon Everybody" etc, a really enjoyable set from the slim one,rock on.

Moving on at 21.14 the intro tune started on the PA in preparation for "The Damned" and it was "Mars" which is part of "Holst" planets suite,this was

also used by "The Stranglers" as their intro on the 1987 tour how strange."The Damned" came on with a very atmospheric start with dry ice,really setting the scene,Dave Vanian's mike stand lit up in fluorescent green,really cool.They came on stage to a big cheer,Dave Vanian came on last.

They kicked off with one of my fav songs of theirs "Wait For The Blackout" (from "The Black Album) a great start to a great gig and that's being

understated,as it was possibly one of the best gigs I have ever been to? From the first song it was just pure class from a band who are better than

ever as a live band,they then played 3 more from "The Black Album" including one of my all time favs "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" a song giving full rein to

Dave Vanian's goth image and persona.

Before I go on,great to see Paul Grey back on bass,and a great Madchester welcome he received on the first song with a pint of beer launched his way

by some lovely person,luckily he seemed to dodge most of it,but personally I would have smashed the bass over the beer throwers head,it's 2018

not 1976,yes years ago "The Damned" encouraged stuff like this,maybe the offender was stuck in a time warp? But Mr Grey being the professional

that he is,just played on regardless.The rest of the set was made up of songs from "Machine Gun Etiquette","Damned,Damned,Damned" and

"Strawberries" including "Gun Fury" which isn't played that much? I don't think.There were also a few from "Phantasmagoria","Street of Dreams" and

"shadow of love".Also 3 songs were played from the upcoming album "Evil Spirit's" including the rather good new single and "Evil Spirits" and

"Devil in Disguise" (not a cover of The Elvis song) these other two were a bit faster than the single and sounded really high quality,for these two

other songs the crew brought on a "Tablet" with the lyrics on,he didn't need that for the new single "Standing on The Edge of Tomorrow" really love

this song,it's a grower and live the bass was far more meaty,and while where talking Bass a mention must go out to "Paul Grey" a fantastic Bass

player,you could tell that the band were very happy to have him back,he was interacting a lot with the good Captain,not slagging "Stu West"

the previous Bass Player but "Paul Grey" is one of the finest Bass players around,a great trebly sound but with light and shade to,he seem to be

enjoying being back (even though his hearing is shot to pieces,he uses a lot of protection to keep what he has left).

Moving on they played their biggest hit "Eloise" a song where again "Dave Vanian" can show of his fantastic baritone voice.

The last song was of course "Smash it up" and they wen't off about 22.45 and people started to leave,there was a quite a long wait but The band

came back on and finished with "Jet Boy Jet Girl" with the Captain on lead vocals,great when you think it's over and it's not.Now to sum up the only

negatives were the industrial eggy fart that some dirty bastard let off with the silent but deadly effect,I looked round for the offender,it could have

been the big bloke who stank of piss or the blonde woman who seemed to be enjoying it more than her miserable boyfriend,and of course my

personal favs the beer throwers,About 3 or 4 pint's seemed to be thrown,I just got a few drops,why waste good beer? or maybe the beer tasted of

piss,still at least the audience mostly seemed ok,quite a few Mohicans at the front.

And now for the positives possibly one of the best gives I have ever seen,just fantastic,the whole band were firing on all cylinders.The Star of the

show is "Dave Vanian" a totally unique character with one of the best voices in music ever in IMHO,the man is just so cool in his black frock coat

and shades,a really theatrical performer he stalks the stage like victorian spectre,then to compliment him you have the Captain a tacky dresser

who is an amazing guitarist and has great banter with the crowd and is actually funny,great to hear him sing a couple of songs,on drums the power

house drumming of "Pinch" but he also has the light touch,did some sublime tom and cymbal work,ive already mentioned "Paul Grey" and last but

not least the barking "Monty Oxymoron" as mad as a hatter but fine musician and lovely bloke.Sound was excellent to and also the stage set and

lights,they create such a unique atmosphere,so in all a great night,and now I am going to get shot down here,but I actually think "The Damned"

are better live than "The Stranglers" these day's,maybe it's because I haven't seen "The Damned" for a few years? But the set was more interesting,

they didn't play the obvious songs,and they have the original singer,they also interact with the audience so well,it seems they actually appreciate

the crowd,I know it's a different style of music,but i have to be hones I think they are better live at the present time.I know its sacrilege to say that

on here,I will see "The Damned" again next week in shitty "Southampton".I recommend "the Damned" just brilliant.Capt Kudu back on ops in the suburbs,over and out.
rattusrattus1962
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: "The Damned"- Manchester Academy 31/01/18 spoilers inc

Post by rattusrattus1962 »

I was at this one too 'Kudo'.....got to admit it was one of the best gigs ive been to for a bloody long time.

Id been following the strangs since 77 and have always been my main band, was never that fussed about early Damned and really only took notice from the 'Black Album' onwards, Strawberries being my pick of the two, so this gig which had a lot of emphasis on the period of Black/Strawberries/Phantasmogoria really did it for me the other night.

Would love to do another on the UK tour but time isnt on my side so looking at doing Hamburg on the last night of the Euro tour...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

rattusrattus1962 wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 17:18 I was at this one too 'Kudo'.....got to admit it was one of the best gigs ive been to for a bloody long time.

Id been following the strangs since 77 and have always been my main band, was never that fussed about early Damned and really only took notice from the 'Black Album' onwards, Strawberries being my pick of the two, so this gig which had a lot of emphasis on the period of Black/Strawberries/Phantasmogoria really did it for me the other night.

Would love to do another on the UK tour but time isnt on my side so looking at doing Hamburg on the last night of the Euro tour...
I am glad it wasn't just me,maybe Ive seen "The Stranglers" to many times? But The Damned gig just blew me away,I was just stunned by Dave Vanians

vocals and band.The set wasn't obvious to,I saw a lot of blank faces and crossed arms,i do think they are better live then The Stranglers at mo,but it's

different music,but they seem to interact with crowd better and you feel they actually appreciate that you have come to see them.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Great Review Sir! 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Great review, ta very much. Rather peed off I didn't get to see em in Leeds last Tuesday as i had the bloody orrible flu. Hopefully will get to see em next time as its been a few years since I last saw em in Leeds and the time before that was at the 'Dracfest' back in 1997 with The Stranglers, Hawkwind, Arthur Brown and Alien Shit Fiend.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Great review.
Saw them last night in Southend.
Pretty much the same set. I think they're only switching around 1 or 2 each night on this tour.
And still only 3 songs from the new album (all of which I like).
However, the encore was 'Do Anything You Wanna Do' with guest singer Barrie Masters.
Excellent.
Should've guessed they might do that considering Masters only lives a mile away. :)
ManInBrown
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Rockula wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 16:08 Great review.
Pretty much the same set. I think they're only switching around 1 or 2 each night on this tour.
However, the encore was 'Do Anything You Wanna Do' with guest singer Barrie Masters.
Excellent.
Should've guessed they might do that considering Masters only lives a mile away. :)
Yes it seems only one song change a night,but love the set as a couple of my fav's.Apart from new songs "Dr Jekyll" has to be my fav of set,Dave Vanian

just made to sing that song,but loved all the songs even "Eloise".
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

Rockula wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 16:08 Great review.
Excellent.
Also Paul Gray was local for many years and was also a member of the Hot Rods and played on the original track!
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

I saw them a couple of weeks ago and they are fab live. I had never heard Jet Boy Jet Girl I must admit. My personal favourite is the singalong that is Ignite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Thank you very much
EiTC
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

elvisintheclouds wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 16:29 Also the review by Greatkudu...
http://eitc.elvisintheclouds.co.uk/eitc ... st-jan-18/
Thank's Sir.
flintackles
SHAKESPEARO

Post by flintackles »

Tonight's gig at Southampton cancelled due to illness.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk