Kirk Brandon with Sam Sansbury Akoustic 30/11/17

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Kirk Brandon with Sam Sansbury Akoustic 30/11/17

Post by Greatkudu »

On a freezing cold night in sunny Salisbury (My HQ) I ventured out to see Mr Kirk Brandon with Cello player Sam Sansbury playing the second part of

their akoustic tour,For those that don't know kirk is lead singer with "Spear of Destiny" and also "Theatre of Hate" who he has reformed again about 3

or 4 years ago,Spear and TOH are my joint favs after the The Stranglers (of course my fav and always will be).But it's nice to listen to other music.

I have never seen Kirk on his own Akoustic before but have seen him with his two other bands and also "Dead Men Walking".Well before i get on with

the review it was sad to see barely 30 people at this gig,no promo was done and to be honest Kirk is more a cult artist these day's.He tasted huge

success in the 80'a but had a series of disasters (you can find out on the net) But he is fighting fit these day's thank god.Anyway let's get on with the

review.Kirk came on at 21.30 to play "Pumpkin Man" one of my personal favs, a powerful song about Police brutality (surely not in Britain?) but yes.

He was accompanied by a Cello player called Sam Sansbury a real talent I have to say,Kirk was singing and playing his vintage guitar.

The set was made up of new songs,Spear and TOH songs as well.Classics like "Prison Planet","Never Take me alive","Westworld","Original Sin" and more.

The last song of the set was "Young Men",then some people left,a bit silly as he came back to play "The Hop" the last single TOH released before

Kirk formed Spear.Kirk has one amazing voice,just stunning and he is a really good guitar player to.I was just blown away by the power of his voice

one of the greatest voices I have heard,he also comes across as a decent bloke,good sense of humour despite writing very heavy songs that are very

hard going sometimes,but that's Kirk.The venue was "The Winchester Gate" a Pub,it has a small room where the gigs are,I have played their myself

and also did drum tech for a gig a few years ago,very intimate venue.Kirk came out after the gig and I had a chat with him,a really nice

genuine bloke as you would expect.I would urge anyone who likes good music to check Kirk out,he really has one of the greatest voices in music

IMHO.He is still on tour at moment,catch him if you can.Capt Kudu RAR in Salisbury,over and out.
Last edited by Greatkudu on 05 Dec 2017, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: RE: Kirk Brandon with Sam Sansbury Akoustic 30/11/17

Post by aldinblack »

Greatkudu wrote:On a freezing cold night in sunny Salisbury (My HQ) I ventured out to see Mr Kirk Brandon with Cello player Sam Sansbury playing the second part of

their akoustic tour,For those that don't know kirk is lead singer with "Spear of Destiny" and also "Theatre of Hate" who he has reformed again about 3

or 4 years ago,Spear and TOH are my joint favs after the The Stranglers (of course my fav and always will be).But it's nice to listen to other music.

I have never seen Kirk on his own Akoustic before but have seen him with his two other bands and also "Dead Men Walking".Well before i get on with

the review it was sad to see barely 30 people at this gig,no promo was done and to be honest Kirk is more a cult artist these day's.He tasted huge

success in the 80'a but had a series of disasters (you can find out on the net) But he is fighting fit these day's thank god.Anyway let's get on with the

review.Kirk came on at 21.30 to play "Pumpkin Man" one of my personal favs, a powerful song about Police brutality (surely not in Britain?) but yes.

He was accompanied by a Cello player called Sam Sansbury a real talent I have to say,Kirk was singing and playing his vintage guitar.

The set was made up of new songs,Spear and TOH songs as well.Classics like "Prison Planet","Never Take me alive","Westworld","Original Sin" and more.

The last song of the set was "Young Men",then some people left,a bit silly as he came back to play "The Hop" the last single TOH released before

Kirk formed Spear.Kirk has one amazing voice,just stunning and he is a really good guitar player to.I was just blown away by the power of his voice

one of the greatest voices I have heard,he also comes across as a decent bloke,good sense of humour despite writing very heavy songs that are very

hard going sometimes,but that's Kirk.The venue was "The Winchester Gate" a Pub,it has a small room where the gigs are,I have played their myself

and also drum did drum tech for a gig a few years ago,very intimate venue.Kirk came out after the gig and I had a chat with him,a really nice

genuine bloke as you would expect.I would urge anyone who likes good music to check Kirk out,he really has one of the greatest voices in music

IMHO.He is still on tour at moment,catch him if you can.Capt Kudu RAR in Salisbury,over and out.
enjoyed reading your very informative review, thanks. I will now look out for a Kirk gig it sounds like a very interesting evening..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Kirk Brandon with Sam Sansbury Akoustic 30/11/17

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Cheers for the review 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: RE: Kirk Brandon with Sam Sansbury Akoustic 30/11/17

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 23:24
Greatkudu wrote:On a freezing cold night in sunny Salisbury (My HQ) I ventured out to see Mr Kirk Brandon with Cello player Sam Sansbury playing the second part of

and also drum did drum tech for a gig a few years ago,very intimate venue.Kirk came out after the gig and I had a chat with him,a really nice

enjoyed reading your very informative review, thanks. I will now look out for a Kirk gig it sounds like a very interesting evening..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thank's I do recommend him,there are a few dates left on current tour and Spear tour quite a bit.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

I saw him in Bristol on the 1st leg of the tour, it was a stunning performance of songs from his back catalogue.
For me he has the best voice in music.
I purchased both of the CD's he has done with Sam, I highly recommend these to anyone remotely interested in his work.
Last edited by gizzard on 06 Dec 2017, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

gizzard wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 15:46 I saw him in Bristol on the 1st leg of the tour, it was a stunning performance of songs from his back catalogue.
For me he had the best voice in music.
I purchased both of the CD's he has done with Sam, I highly recommend these to anyone remotely interested in his work.
Bloody great voice and clearly a great writer 8)
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.