Killing Joke live at the London Scala

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Killing Joke live at the London Scala

Post by pigeon »

I was initally suprised when this gig was suddenly announced, a few months afer a great gig at Londons Brixton Academy last November, i thought the London Scala was many steps down the ladder. However ticket purchased,due to the venues size it was sure to sell out quick and it did. Though my friend said when the intermate tag came up "is it intermate, because they are not very well known". Don't worry i have played him some Killing Joke since.

So i made my way to the venue met up with a few friends, Graham, Kate and Marcus. it was a PIL 2015 Sheperds Bush Empire Gathering. We arrived there intime for the two support bands. First up was a very young band called Blackwaters,who looked very very young 16 tops. However they put on a good show, it wasent Metal, it was a bit hardcore punk. As they played their set, i only remember one of the titles "Fuck yeah", where the audience had a job to do to sing the chours "Oh yeah, fuck yeah". Simple. At one point the singer, jumped offstage and started singing in the crowd. At one point he even came up to me, (not for long). Decent band, i will check them out.

Time for the second band who i diddnt quite catch the name,but they were very Siousxe influenced.

Onto the manin event, the place packed by this point, many older fans saying "your're not going in for the mosh pit are you?. Im a bit too old for that now,like most of us here". Seems most wanted a seadated night, but as Killing joke came onto "The Wait", i don't think they were about to get it. The crowd were up for this and looking forward to it, so there was an instant mosh. Nothing to bad though, just people having a pogo. The band living off the recent popularity gain as to myself who properly discoverd them with 2015s "Pylon". "Autonomus Zone" up next. I love the intro to this song. Its a very good album though "Eupohria" is best for me on the album. "Love like blood" & "Eighiies" up next, the audience lapping it up.

Jaz makes an announcment that the bands tour manager sadly passed away, and he said the manager said to him, if the band were to eve release a book it would be called jaz would be nothing without Paul Grey. Jaz also says next year is Killing Jokes 40th Aniversary, and they have massive plans, to tour which will last 2 years. Thats if they don't die before hand.

following on the trend of Pylon songs "European Super State" up next to which Jaz asked "Hows Brexit going?, hows the pound doing? seeing as i dont live here no more". now one which im not too familar with "Sun Goes Down", seems to be popular. Up next one which i am familar with "I am the Virus" yes1, love this song. The brilliant "Exorcism" up next i dont actually own the "Pandimonum" album yet, but am guilty of streaming it online once in a while. Now the highlight of the set for me "Asteroid", classsic "and the thrid angel sounded, and a star fell from heaven,Burning as it were a lamp, and it fell apon the 3rd part of the waters"

ASTTEROID!!!. supurb stuff. First time i have ever seen them play it live too. It was so good i forgot what was up next!. But after the next song, they went offstage, and came back on 5 minutes later. "SO 36" up next, then the usuals "Reqium", the brilliant "The Death and Resurection show", Killing joke 2003 is my 2nd favourite album!. They finished off with "Wardance", to which Jaz says his favourite Journo has said we have never been as close to nuclear war, than we are now, even during the cold war, so if we have any plans do them now!!! They finished off with "Pandimonuim" like at Brixton. another great night out seeing the Joke!.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Killing Joke live at the London Scala

Post by Bag Lady »

Thanks for the review Pidge 8)
No one can win against kipple.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

8)
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Nice one Sir Pidge... 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Thank you Pigeon.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Top review Pidge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Thanks all, they were awesome!
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Fantastic stuff Pidge, liked it.

pigeon wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 11:04 ... They finished off with "Wardance", to which Jaz says his favourite Journo has said we have never been as close to nuclear war, than we are now, even during the cold war, so if we have any plans do them now!!!
Yeah, well, he's been peddling that particular bicycle for a while now, innit?
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Thank you Mista Pigeon.
Most excellent.

As I've mentioned on another thread, I do wish Killing Joke would tour more often like The Stranglers do, once a year and of course it's a supreme matter of paramount importance that Killing Joke play in Leeds!
Leeds, as some of us enlightened ones know is the centre of the Universe, and I do believe it's Geordie's fave city to play. So why the feck don't Killing Joke come here more often then?
C'mon lads sort yourselves out.

Adorations' when released way back in 1985 was along with The Stranglers one of the first 12 inch singles I bought and still one of my fave Killing Joke songs.
I was lucky enough to see The Stranglers at Reading festival in 1983 and 1987, and I also got to see Killing Joke there in 1986 but somewhere along the line I didn't really get into Killing Joke and only recently got to see them again in Leeds in November 2015, I was totally blown away. The last 3 albums have been phenomenal and my fave albums of recent times.

😎
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Jaz did say they have big plans for next years 40th anivesary, which will last for two years. I never understand why a 40th aniversary tour last's for 2 years!. He has been talking about it, since i have been seeing them live in 2015!. Guess it's a making money thing, because i saw them at Butlins for Pylon and it was half empty!. having said that i need to get more albums. I reckon they will tour around November time aswell, all the bands do November (well apart from one i can think off!). Leeds 02 academy next year maybe? thats a great venue too.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Don't think there are any plans to tour later in the year.
But there are plans for a new album and some reissues that I have been working on with them.

The 2003 album WILL get released on vinyl for the first time and I hope to feck that they will go with the plans!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

A new album only 2 years after the last, thats quite proflific. looks like the scala is it till next year then. looks like next years going to be an expensve one with them and the damned releasing albums then! I will skip the "Killing joke 2003" reissue on vinyl, but collect the CD reissues of albums that i don't have.