Moderator: StanInBlack

MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Naz Nomad and the Nightmares

Post by MiB81 »

Picked up a mint copy of Give Daddy The Knife Cindy, from
a charity shop, £3.99 on vinyl.
Knew who it was, but hadn't really heard it, any views?
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Naz Nomad and the Nightmares

Post by Rockula »

A good, fun side project.
The 'band' ran concurrently with 'The Phantom Chords' and the line-up was interchangeable.
I saw both bands about 10 times in the 80's and 90's and the live sets were also interchangeable.

But despite being a huge fan of 'The Damned' I have to say I prefer the original versions of most of the songs on the album. Although chances being able to see the originals performed live by the original artists was pretty slim.

The album fits in nicely with 'The Purple Helmets', 'The Dukes Of Stratosphear' and the 'Acid Eaters' album by 'The Ramones'.
ManInBrown
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Rockula wrote: 08 May 2017, 12:25 A good, fun side project.
The 'band' ran concurrently with 'The Phantom Chords' and the line-up was interchangeable.
I saw both bands about 10 times in the 80's and 90's and the live sets were also interchangeable.

But despite being a huge fan of 'The Damned' I have to say I prefer the original versions of most of the songs on the album. Although chances being able to see the originals performed live by the original artists was pretty slim.

The album fits in nicely with 'The Purple Helmets', 'The Dukes Of Stratosphear' and the 'Acid Eaters' album by 'The Ramones'.
Nice one, cheers for the reply, kinda what I was thinking :wink:
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

the NNATN album is excellent. I got it way back in 1984 when it came out. I honestly thought I was being wound up from people telling me it's the damned. as soon as the singer starts....you know it's vanian. they probably just wanted a break from the damned for a bit...they hadn't had a record deal since strawberries in 1982 and things were probably getting too serious
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

It's covered in Barry Hutchinson's book; 'After The Lights Go Out: A Biography of The Phantom Chords' (First published August 2015).

Due to Captain Sensible's solo success from 1982 onwards he wasn't around to work on new material for 'The Damned' so Dave Vanian and Roman Jugg decided to start a 'side project'. It included Rat Scabies and the new bass player Bryn Merrick 'cause Paul Gray had also left. So, basically the 'Phantasmagoria' line-up after Captain quit in 1984.
Roger Armstrong of Big Beat offered them a one album deal and that's the album we're talking about.
At this time Dave also started talking about another project which would become 'The Phantom Chords'.
But 'The Damned' got signed to MCA and it was put on the 'back burner'.

After 'Phantasmagoria' and 'Anything' MCA dropped 'The Damned' whilst they were doing demos for a 3rd MCA album that was never to be. Some of the demos were in the style of 'Naz' or 'Phantom Chords' ('Gunning For Love', 'The Loveless And The Damned', etc). The Damned performed some of these new songs 'live' in 1987 and 1988.
They ended up being recorded for what was supposed to be 'The Phantom Chords' first album which has not yet been officially released but is easily available on bootleg.

'The Phantom Chords' and 'Naz Nomad' line-ups were pretty fluid with Dave Vanian the only constant throughout.

The last 'Naz Nomad' live show to date was in 1992.
'The last 'Phantom Chords' show was in 2003.

Dave Vanian has announced that a complete box set is in the process of being prepared for release.
ManInBrown
yesican
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by yesican »

I downloaded 'Acid Daze' from Finsbury Park 87 from dime , only 6 songs though.
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

there's a naz concert on youtube from '91 I think....not the best quality tho.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Rockula wrote: 09 May 2017, 13:06 It's covered in Barry Hutchinson's book; 'After The Lights Go Out: A Biography of The Phantom Chords' (First published August 2015).

Due to Captain Sensible's solo success from 1982 onwards he wasn't around to work on new material for 'The Damned' so Dave Vanian and Roman Jugg decided to start a 'side project'. It included Rat Scabies and the new bass player Bryn Merrick 'cause Paul Gray had also left. So, basically the 'Phantasmagoria' line-up after Captain quit in 1984.
Roger Armstrong of Big Beat offered them a one album deal and that's the album we're talking about.
At this time Dave also started talking about another project which would become 'The Phantom Chords'.

After 'Phantasmagoria' and 'Anything' MCA dropped 'The Damned' whilst they were doing demos for a 3rd MCA album that was never to be. Some of the demos were in the style of 'Naz' or 'Phantom Chords' ('Gunning For Love', 'The Loveless And The Damned', etc). The Damned performed some of these new songs 'live' in 1987 and 1988.
They ended up being recorded for what was supposed to be 'The Phantom Chords' first album which has not yet been officially released but is easily available on bootleg.

'The Phantom Chords' and 'Naz Nomad' line-ups were pretty fluid with Dave Vanian the only constant throughout.

Dave Vanian has announced that a complete box set is in the process of being prepared for release.
Wow, cheers for that.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

MiB81 wrote: 12 May 2017, 16:35
Rockula wrote: 09 May 2017, 13:06 It's covered in Barry Hutchinson's book; 'After The Lights Go Out: A Biography of The Phantom Chords' (First published August 2015).

Wow, cheers for that.
Dave Vanian has announced that a complete box set is in the process of being prepared for release - in the next few months (maybe end of 2017), he said :smt007
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Lafleur wrote:
MiB81 wrote: 12 May 2017, 16:35

Wow, cheers for that.
Dave Vanian has announced that a complete box set is in the process of being prepared for release - in the next few months (maybe end of 2017), he said :smt007
Hope it's on time. I pledged for the new Damned album and its release date has gone from April to December 2017.

Grrrr...
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Boody wrote: 29 May 2017, 11:41 Hope it's on time. I pledged for the new Damned album and its release date has gone from April to December 2017.

Grrrr...
December 2017 is not the release date.
It's just the date they stop excepting Pledges.
I doubt we'll see the album before 2018.
The band have just got back from the massive US Tour.
They haven't written or recorded any of the album yet.
They go into the studio in June (next month).
I'm happy to wait for something good rather than something rushed out.
But, unlike The Stranglers, we know there will definitely be a new album 'cause it's already paid for. :wink:
ManInBrown
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Rockula wrote: 29 May 2017, 12:14
Boody wrote: 29 May 2017, 11:41 Hope it's on time. I pledged for the new Damned album and its release date has gone from April to December 2017.

Grrrr...
December 2017 is not the release date.
It's just the date they stop excepting Pledges.
I doubt we'll see the album before 2018.
The band have just got back from the massive US Tour.
They haven't written or recorded any of the album yet.
They go into the studio in June (next month).
I'm happy to wait for something good rather than something rushed out.
But, unlike The Stranglers, we know there will definitely be a new album 'cause it's already paid for. :wink:
I'm more positive - most of the material has already been written roughly over the last years and in Februray this year a first take of a few songs was alreday recorded (not the final versions of course) and according to Dave the band is very up to record the whole album as soon as possible. To put all song and melody pieces together it may need a few weeks and maybe a second recording session to finalize the whole thing. But no way there's the idea to rush something out. We're all in a flutter of expectations... And The Stranglers also will definately record a new album :smt006