Depeche Mode

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Depeche Mode

Post by jason »

I've always liked this band. They've changed a lot though. Live drums and more guitars these days. I'm not keen on Dave Gahan prancing around like Mick Jagger either but I do like most of their music. Any other fans on here?
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Depeche Mode

Post by parasiteinblack »

I like em, not got the new album yet because the last two have been pretty crap and the single was dull... Was tempted to see them on the tour but no way am I paying 70 odd quid plus transport/hotel in London. I like the Black Celebration album the best...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

parasiteinblack wrote: 28 Mar 2017, 22:52 I like em, not got the new album yet because the last two have been pretty crap and the single was dull... Was tempted to see them on the tour but no way am I paying 70 odd quid plus transport/hotel in London. I like the Black Celebration album the best...
Yes I think they have gone a bit downhill recently compared to their albums like Black Celebration, Music for the masses, Violator, Songs of faith and devotion and Ultra. Most of their albums are pretty good though. I prefer to listen to them rather than watch them.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

jason wrote: 28 Mar 2017, 23:10
parasiteinblack wrote: 28 Mar 2017, 22:52 I like em, not got the new album yet because the last two have been pretty crap and the single was dull... Was tempted to see them on the tour but no way am I paying 70 odd quid plus transport/hotel in London. I like the Black Celebration album the best...
Yes I think they have gone a bit downhill recently compared to their albums like Black Celebration, Music for the masses, Violator, Songs of faith and devotion and Ultra. Most of their albums are pretty good though. I prefer to listen to them rather than watch them.
Yes that's a fair point, some of the visuals are not my sort of thing and they've definitely overdone the whole Anton-Corbijn-does-shit-in-black-and-white motif. Yeah they're probably the strongest albums, although Music for the Masses isn't a particular favourite and Ultra can be patchy, although very well produced. I like a lot of the early singles too, even the less well-thought-of ones like Get the Balance Right and It's Called A Heart have a certain charm. Shake the Disease is good too.
One thing I don't get is that I really like the tracks Martin L Gore sings on the 80s albums (a bit like how you look forward to a Dave song on a Stranglers album) but these days they're just bloody terrible. I think he's changed his vocal style a bit too much.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

I first saw them in 81 at The Venue in Victoria...then fast foward 32 years and my next gig was Prague in July 2013. After seeing the Live Broadcast from Glasgow, I cannot help thinking that they are drifting into Simple Minds Territory. Also, what the **** does Andy Fletcher do on stage??....anyway I'm off to Budapest in May to see them in a Football Stadium!!

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk

Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

I've only seen them twice, both times in 1980 on their first tour.
Once at the original Bridge House, Canning Town just down the road from me and at Crocs in Rayleigh, Essex.
I only went 'cause I was with a girl who liked 'that sort of thing' and the venues were 'hang-outs' where we went whoever happened to be playing.
I wasn't really interested in the band.

But they've done a lot of tracks since that I've enjoyed.
They are one of those bands that I could happily make up a 'best of' but wouldn't listen to all their stuff.

And I certainly wouldn't pay £70 to see them now... :lol:
ManInBrown
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: RE: Re: Depeche Mode

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Rockula wrote:I've only seen them twice, both times in 1980 on their first tour.
Once at the original Bridge House, Canning Town just down the road from me and at Crocs in Rayleigh, Essex.
I only went 'cause I was with a girl who liked 'that sort of thing' and the venues were 'hang-outs' where we went whoever happened to be playing.
I wasn't really interested in the band.

But they've done a lot of tracks since that I've enjoyed.
They are one of those bands that I could happily make up a 'best of' but wouldn't listen to all their stuff.

And I certainly wouldn't pay £70 to see them now... Image
Dave Gahan was talking about those gigs at the Bridge House on Joe Wiley's show last night!! Were you the Man with the Dog standing at the Bar?? ImageImageImageImageImage

Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 29 Mar 2017, 14:40 Dave Gahan was talking about those gigs at the Bridge House on Joe Wiley's show last night!! Were you the Man with the Dog standing at the Bar??
I don't have a dog and don't remember one. But they did do about 5 dates in that December so maybe the dog was at the vets the night I was there.... :lol:
ManInBrown
wanderlust
The Raven
The Raven

Post by wanderlust »

I really like Depeche mode for a particular era 1981-1990. I appreciate some groups want to evolve but they have been stuck in gloominess since about 1993. There have been the occasional catchy good song on albums since "precious" being one. Wish they would leave the industrial darkness alone and lighten up a bit.
"I had a dream or a nightmare difficult to decide which"
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

wanderlust wrote:I really like Depeche mode for a particular era 1981-1990. I appreciate some groups want to evolve but they have been stuck in gloominess since about 1993. There have been the occasional catchy good song on albums since "precious" being one. Wish they would leave the industrial darkness alone and lighten up a bit.
I have to agree with every word of that and their albums are sometimes an extremely difficult listen. I tend to make my own playlists of their tracks as my favourites are always changing too!!

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I agree that are miserable barstards aren't they, even worse than the fucking Stranglers

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

aldinblack wrote:I agree that are miserable barstards aren't they, even worse than the fucking Stranglers

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
No one is that miserable!!!...surly. ImageImage