Depeche Mode

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: RE: Re: Depeche Mode

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote:They are very big in Russia and Germany etc apparently.
They were also massive in the former DDR (East Germany), despite their Records not being available and only playing one date there in Prenzlauer Berg, a Suburb of East Berlin, in 1988.

Their following has always been big in the Former Warsaw Pact Countries such as Poland, Hungary and the Czech / Slovak Republics as well. This is due to them touring there in the mid 80s during the Cold War era.

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Depeche Mode

Post by jason »

Apparently they have a got a new album coming out. There's going to be an announcement in October.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

They just can't get enough can they?

Jim
jason wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 22:51 Apparently they have a got a new album coming out. There's going to be an announcement in October.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

It's a miracle Gahan is still alive after his drug addiction,but they are a great band moved on from the Synth pop to darker sound,always amuses me that they did Master and Servant on kids TV programme,of course the song is all about the relationship between Aristocracy and their humble staff.Lt Kudu :smt005
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

theraven1979 wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 08:23 They just can't get enough can they?

Jim
jason wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 22:51 Apparently they have a got a new album coming out. There's going to be an announcement in October.
Maybe they need the money. Everything counts!
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I wonder if Fletch was involved in their new album. It's similar a situation to what happened to the Stranglers with Dave's passing before the release of Dark Matters in some ways.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I can't say I'm particularly interested, really. It stopped being Depeche Mode a long time ago.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 17:35
I can't say I'm particularly interested, really. It stopped being Depeche Mode a long time ago.
I know what you mean. Their last album wasn't great imo and it's now just Dave and Martin but I'm still pleased they are going to release a new album. I'm not expecting a Violator or a Black Celebration but hopefully they will come back with a decent effort.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 18:09
StanInBlack wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 17:35
I know what you mean. Their last album wasn't great imo and it's now just Dave and Martin but I'm still pleased they are going to release a new album. I'm not expecting a Violator or a Black Celebration but hopefully they will come back with a decent effort.
Pretty much everything after Ultra (apart from Playing the Angel) has been complete bollocks IMO. They've turned into what the Rolling Stones became in their later years - touring the hits while pumping out albums that people listen to a couple of times and forget about.
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

Have to say I agree with you Stan. Usually only one or two tracks on the more recent albums are at all interesting.

And yes, their business model seems to be tour infrequently and only stadiums, with a new album to promote the tour

Saying that, they are still a good live act!
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I am also in agreement, a few good singles over the part 25 years but the albums very rarely get a spin now.
I really enjoyed the singles Peace and Dream On, pretty much everything else this century has been varying shades of meh.
Delta Machine was probably the worst album.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

They did some great album as in their prime though. Construction Time Again for example

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"