Depeche Mode

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Depeche Mode

Post by StanInBlack »

The new album, 'Spirit', is their best album since 'Playing The Angel', which in turn was their best album since 'Ultra'. it's also their first album since 'Construction Time Again' (in 1983!) to have a more political slant to the lyrics, rather than the love-as-religion/down-on-my-knees rut that Gore has been stuck in lyrically since 'Songs of Faith and Devotion' ...
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I've played the Spirit album a lot in the car recently but I think it's a bit weak to be honest. I'd say it's one of their worst albums but half of it still pretty decent. They've gone a bit patchy recently imo.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

It's not a record for everyone.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: RE: Re: Depeche Mode

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote:The new album, 'Spirit', is their best album since 'Playing The Angel', which in turn was their best album since 'Ultra'. it's also their first album since 'Construction Time Again' (in 1983!) to have a more political slant to the lyrics, rather than the love-as-religion/down-on-my-knees rut that Gore has been stuck in lyrically since 'Songs of Faith and Devotion' ...
Agreed....IMHO....their Best Single has to be "Everything Counts" and I'm hoping it will make the Set on the Spirit Tour. The Opening Date is tonight in Stockholm!!

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

They've made some cracking music over the years. These are some of my favs.

Halo
Enjoy the Silence
Black Celebration
Shake the disease
Everything counts
It's no good
Home
Walking in my shoes
See you

I could go on.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Not a massive fan but I've always had a soft spot for Construction Time Again. Bloke at work is obsessed with them - has tattoos and the lot.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Some years ago, I was thinking that Depeche Mode could do a great cover of "All Roads Lead to Rome".
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

PaulinLondon wrote: 05 May 2017, 21:44 Some years ago, I was thinking that Depeche Mode could do a great cover of "All Roads Lead to Rome".
That would certainly be interesting!
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

PaulinLondon wrote: 05 May 2017, 21:44 Some years ago, I was thinking that Depeche Mode could do a great cover of "All Roads Lead to Rome".

Yes, yes, that's all well and good, but what do you think now?
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

MiB81 wrote: 06 May 2017, 16:11

Yes, yes, that's all well and good, but what do you think now?
Their version would have got into the Top 5.

You know that.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 05 May 2017, 21:34 Not a massive fan but I've always had a soft spot for Construction Time Again. Bloke at work is obsessed with them - has tattoos and the lot.

Jim
Yeah, they have a tendency to inspire that sort of devotion and level of obsession in their fanbase. They're one of those rare bands that actually does have a fanbase spanning numerous generations - they have no problem retaining their older fans and equally no problem picking up newer ones. Whenever they do a tour, they always feature their most recent album heavily in the setlist and they've always shown immense faith in their latest material. Also, the band are still fucking huge worldwide. Not bad going considering what they built themselves up from. Some may not like their latest material - I thought 'Sounds of the Universe' and 'Delta Machine' were patchy at best - but a nostalgia act they certainly aren't.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

They are very big in Russia and Germany etc apparently.