the black album live

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

sewer rat
Rats Rally

the black album live

Post by sewer rat »

ok damned fans....in 1980, as we all know, the damned released the black album on double vinyl. side 4 was recorded live in shepperton 1980....but.....did you know, that if you bought the cassette version....you were treated to more in between song dialogue....not to mention a longer intro of banter. well, for your listening pleasure....I've found my old cassette and I've decided to put it up for all you good people. enjoy
SR

https://we.tl/ZkGKuDnCwD
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Re: the black album live

Post by Rockula »

Thanks for that.
I have the original vinyl and the whole gig was later released as 'Live At Shepperton'.
I'll have to go listen now, to compare.
ManInBrown
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Ps.
Just for information....

The 'different' versions with added banter were also available on the Australian and French vinyl versions of the original release.
ManInBrown
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

good to know. the live in shepperton album is a fake apparently. does anyone remember the statement scabies put out Sounds/NME in 1982 when big beat put the record out. he warned the fans NOT to buy the album. he went on to say that its only some of the shepperton gig (probably just the 6 black album tracks) and the other tracks were gathered from various bootlegs. he then dropped the bombshell that at least one track isn't even live. if anyone knows about the actual fan club gig, they'll know that 'drinking about my baby' was performed....where is it on the shepperton album then?
SR
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Following taken from Rabbit's excellent site listing live performances...

''Tuesday 29 July - Rock City Studios, Shepperton

Set possibly: Love Song, Second Time Around, I Just Can't Be Happy Today, Melody Lee, New Rose, Help, Ballroom Blitz, Drinking About My Baby, Smash It Up, Plan 9 Channel 7, Neat Neat Neat, Two Pints of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps please, Burglar, In A Rut.

Comments: Advertising for this show stated that all Flashman Society members were invited to be in the audience for this show which was to be recorded live. On production of membership cards, members and up to 2 friends would be admitted to Shepperton Studios. Support from The Ruts. Max Splodge guested... coming on to do 'Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps Please' with The Damned. 'Neat Neat Neat' was stopped during trouble in the crowd and played again in full. For the closing number of 'In A Rut', everyone took to the stage. Note that 'Looking At You' is not included in the above provided set, but appears on the 'Live At Shepperton' recording, so there is obviously a discrepancy somewhere?''......
ManInBrown
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Post by sewer rat »

good info. yeah, if you listen to vanian introduce looking at you....his voice is barely audible but the song is clear. wish they would just go into their respectable attics and get these kind of shows out for us to listen to.
SR