damned reunion

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

sewer rat
Rats Rally

damned reunion

Post by sewer rat »

anyone else heard the hints that the original damned are in talks about a reunion????? as a lifelong damned fan this is music to my ears. saw the reunions in Glasgow 1989 and was well impressed. I missed them on their first outing....didn't actually see them live until 1981 in Edinburgh...the night they released the Friday 13th ep
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: damned reunion

Post by theraven1979 »

Didn't catch that one but Andy Partridge hinted at reforming XTC over the weekend before quickly dismissing it.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
vanian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by vanian »

sewer rat wrote:anyone else heard the hints that the original damned are in talks about a reunion????? as a lifelong damned fan this is music to my ears. saw the reunions in Glasgow 1989 and was well impressed. I missed them on their first outing....didn't actually see them live until 1981 in Edinburgh...the night they released the Friday 13th ep
Hi there - i would very , very much doubt that happening Brian's attitude towards the current band is well known and so is Rats - also read Capts latest interview posted on another thread -
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Dave and Brian still talk and get on o.k. They've done joint interviews about 'New Rose' in recent months.
They did one at The 100 Club last July on the day that 'Brian James & Friends' played the venue.
Rat played on the night but Dave didn't.
So, three original members were in the same place, on the same day but not necessarily at the same time.
Rat and Brian still work together on occasions when the mood takes them.
They also did some interview Q&A sessions on the release of the 'Don't You Wish That We Were Dead' documentary and stated the last time a reunion was suggested was in 2007, was agreed by all, but it all fell through.
And Rat is working pretty much full time with The Mutants who just released their 3rd album.

Captain has said some positive things about Rat (as a musician) in recent months and gave him and Brian a 'shout out' at the Royal Albert Hall show. But there's still some 'bad air' and disagreements which seem to have been about money. Some of these issues appear to have been resolved amicably.

I wouldn't rule out a reunion completely but these rumours circulate regularly. And it's unlikely to happen anytime soon as the band are working on the tours and recording a new album with the current line-up that have now been together longer than any previous line-up managed.

But, as this year has all been about 1976 and the 'punk explosion' didn't really happen until 1977, I would suggest there will be as many 'anniversary' punk shows next year as there were this year. And maybe, just maybe, the original line-up could fit in a show or two. Especially as the band seem to have found new management who know what they are doing with regards to promotion of the band and it's 'legacy'.
ManInBrown
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

damned reunion

Post by Boody »

I seem to remember one of the original quartet recently being asked "could the four of you could ever be in the same room again?" to which the answer was along the lines of "yes, but only three of us would come out alive".
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

The Damned are just as good now, if not better, than they've ever been. Not sure why anyone would wanna see Brian James back in the line up.
BikerinBlack
Rats Rally

Post by BikerinBlack »

Paul Gray was seen back stage earlier tonight I'm told.
vanian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by vanian »

ThruBeingCool wrote:The Damned are just as good now, if not better, than they've ever been. Not sure why anyone would wanna see Brian James back in the line up.
absolutely 100000000000% agree - he has his own demons to deal with and to be honest i like the first damned LP but for me from MGE onwards thats the damned i love 8)