"The Clash" became what they wanted to replace?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: "The Clash" became what they wanted to replace?

Post by MULLY »

Some interesting viewpoints expressed.

Personally, I liked the way the 'original' punk bands progressed - nothing worse than turning into the cliched 'Status Quo' (even though an in depth study of the Quo back catalogue ironically disproves that) and sounding the same over x number of albums.

In hindsight, even Sandinista throws up some interesting musical gems - although it should never have been a triple album. Even London Calling was stretching it to a double!!

The Clash were flawed on so many levels - interesting to hear someone talking about Joe in those terms above - the irony of Complete Control whenever Bernie Rhodes was almost as manipulative and svengali-esque as Malcolm was with The Pistols. They were just as much the clothes-horse for the fashion boutiques (initially anyway). Their politics were very ill-thought out - almost band-wagon jumping slogganeers rather than serious convictions (IMHO) and again I think Bernie might have influenced that somewhat.

Anyway - an interesting thread and food for thought.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I Don't mind The Clash, The albums i own i didn't even buy I was given them. The Debut album is good!. Songs like "im so bored of the USA", and "Londons Burning" & "Career Opportunities" good songs. Everyones got "London Calling" again I was given it,, don't really like it as an album. Then theres "The Singles" again i got given that "I fought the law", "Complete Control", "this is radio clash" good songs but i can't stand "White man in Hammersmith palais" sorry!. I also got given a compleation called "Super Black market" clash which i havent botherd to listend to since i was given it. I did listen to "Combat Rock" on youtube thats alright.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

As a postscript the reason I say "The Clash" became what they wanted to replace was really after watching the documentary about Joe and The Clash the other night.Joe actually felt

that by the time they played the Stadiums in America they had turned in to a what they were against to start off with,but like i said its hard with all that money not to be corrupted.

That's one thing no one can say of The Stranglers,when they were almost at that cusp they sabotaged it,I'm so glad they did.But I must say I do admire The Clash for what they achieved.

And they certainly pushed the boundaries of Punk music,even though The Stranglers weren't a Punk band they did as well.
Last edited by Greatkudu on 24 Oct 2016, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

To me you can compare The Jam to The Clash - both changed styles drastically from their beginnings ( as did The Stranglers) - but the difference was That Weller knew the Jam were venturing away from what they were so he stopped it - called it a day , whereas The Clash were venturing away but carried on - the early Clash and late Clash have no similarities or nothing in common at all musically . With Stranglers material from mid-late Hugh , even though they were far softer and more poppy , there was always a certain Stranglers sound there - The Clash - there was NOTHING of the original sound there IMO . All history of course and a decent debate to be had .
All quiet ..........
nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack »

Rude Boy was a good film wasn't it ? Haven't seen it since back in the day.Must look out for it again sometime.
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

nickinblack wrote:Rude Boy was a good film wasn't it ? Haven't seen it since back in the day.Must look out for it again sometime.
blimey, I'd forgotten about it it's that long since I saw it, good call Nick.

Quite enjoyed that Madness one as well, like a re-enactment of their beginnings with some bad acting in it.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Never seen Rude Boy , likewise also forgotten about it . One film from The Clash I did see- Straight to Hell .....quite possibly the worst and most stupid film I've ever seen that doesn't have Jim Carrey in it .
Well - when I said I saw it , I watched about 30 mins and turned off it was so bad - though at least I don't think they pulled silly faces all the way through it .
All quiet ..........
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote:Never seen Rude Boy , likewise also forgotten about it . One film from The Clash I did see- Straight to Hell .....quite possibly the worst and most stupid film I've ever seen that doesn't have Jim Carrey in it .
Well - when I said I saw it , I watched about 30 mins and turned off it was so bad - though at least I don't think they pulled silly faces all the way through it .
Is that the biopic that's only just come out? I saw a photo of the actors meant to be the band, it looked excruciating just from a still photo.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Bobinblack wrote:
Jon the Impaler wrote:Never seen Rude Boy , likewise also forgotten about it . One film from The Clash I did see- Straight to Hell .....quite possibly the worst and most stupid film I've ever seen that doesn't have Jim Carrey in it .
Is that the biopic that's only just come out? I saw a photo of the actors meant to be the band, it looked excruciating just from a still photo.
No - Straight to Hell had Elvis Costello , Pogues and a few others in it - made in 1987

From Wikipedia
Straight to Hell's premiere was held at the Pickwick Drive-In in Burbank, California. Invitees were asked to come dressed in "post-apocalyptic fiesta garb."[8] Everyone who arrived was handed a water pistol.[8] The film's premiere was a fiasco, and several people at the drive-in left midway into the movie.[6] Courtney Love was reportedly visibly upset at the premiere.[6]

The film was not well received by critics, drawing mostly negative reviews. In her review for the New York Times, Janet Maslin wrote, "The result is a mildly engrossing, instantly forgettable midnight movie."[9] Hal Hinson, in his review for the Washington Post, wrote, "The action is so gratuitous, and so indifferently presented, that it's impossible to think that Cox ever truly intended it to be seen by anyone outside of the cast and crew and their immediate families."[10]

In the US Straight to Hell was rated "R" for violence and language. The latter reason caught the producers by surprise, as the writers deliberately refrained from including any sort of profanity in the dialogue. Even the word "hell" appears only in the title (at one point a character quite noticeably says "what the heck is going on here?"), and the insults that fly before a showdown are no worse than "go boil yer head!"

The film was released on VHS in the 1990s and was also released on DVD by Anchor Bay Entertainment on 24 April 2001, but went out of print in the following years

It was truly awful - I can only imagine someone was bored ( with the USA :smile: )
All quiet ..........
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

'Straight To Hell' is not a great film. Director Alex Cox's 'Repo Man' and 'Walker' are far superior.
It makes no more and no less sense than some of the cheap Spaghetti Westerns that influenced it.
It did however directly influence Tarantino; especially the sharp-suited hitmen who were virtual template for Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta's characters in 'Pulp Fiction'.

The extended 'Straight To Hell Returns' director's cut released in 2010 was only slightly better.
But it does have an excellent soundtrack if you happen to like Spaghetti Western music like Ennio Morricone.
ManInBrown
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Cheers for clarifying. There is a new flick out, apparently a biopic. Sorry but I can't be arsed searching for it :P
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Bobinblack wrote:Cheers for clarifying. There is a new flick out, apparently a biopic. Sorry but I can't be arsed searching for it :P
Think it's called London - about a young fan being introduced to Punk and specifically The Clash
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better