The Tubes

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

The Tubes

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Saw them at Skegness and I was quite impressed.

Any suggestions for a newbie as to where to start with their back catalogue? What is the essential Tubes listening?

Or shouldn't I bother?
sewer rat
Rats Rally

Re: The Tubes

Post by sewer rat »

oooooooo! tough subject that band. they're not even marmite cos you either think they're ok sometimes or just plain pointless. "don't touch me there" is a personal favourite of my wife and I...."prime time" was a fairly commercial single around 1979 and obviously the first hit that brought the band to the masses, "white punks on dope". they really depend on your music tastes. I've heard a lot of their early albums and I found them quite E.L.O(ish) without the orchestra shit. if you're looking for a punk sound then the tubes aren't for you....or even a pub rock sound, they ain't for you. the best thing to do is to download the first 3 albums then the last one (that gives you an idea of how they began and ended)...............
1975 - the tubes
1976 - young and rich
1977 - now
1996 - genius of America

they have a few live albums aswell.....sometimes a band sounds better on stage than in the studio. happy listening
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

For a 'beginner' I would suggest the 2008 2-CD compilation called 'Goin' Down'.

34 tracks covering all eras.

Then, depending which tracks 'speak' to you (or not as may be), you'll know what complete albums to investigate.
ManInBrown
zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by zontar »

Am no authority, but they appeared to focus their talents as a stage act rather than studio unit. Their set included elaborate props and topless tootsies.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

zontar wrote:Am no authority, but they appeared to focus their talents as a stage act rather than studio unit. Their set included elaborate props and topless tootsies.
They ARE very theatrical. :lol:
ManInBrown
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Cheers for the replies.