Ruts DC / Department S – Underworld, Camden 16.9.2016

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Ruts DC / Department S – Underworld, Camden 16.9.2016

Post by Rockula »

We arrived early in Camden and chatted to a few old friends for an hour or so before 'Department S' went on. Obviously some ale was involved. Lots of familiar faces/usual suspects (from Facebook and Forums mostly) who we recognised but couldn't put names to. You know how it is. I did recognise one or two (... ;)) Then it was suddenly 7pm and the band plugged in.
The current line-up do a great job of performing the old material despite Eddie Roxy (vocals) now being the only original member left from the 1980 line-up whilst original guitarist Herbage is on an extended 'career break'.
The new album songs sound much tighter; probably because the current band wrote them together.
Bassist Pete Jones (formerly of 'Public Image Ltd', 'Cowboys International' and 'Brian Brain') is always excellent, drummer Alexander Lutes (ex-'FMB' and 'Night Nurse') keeps things tight and guitarist Phil Thompson (of 'Bug') knows his way around some cracking riffs.
So we got 'When All Is Said And All Is Done', 'On My Own Again', 'I Believe' and the excellent 'Cause' from that terrific new album. We also got a nice cover of Johnny Thunders' 'Born To Lose' (or should that have been 'Vaughn Toulouse'). Of course we got 'Is Vic There?' but in an extended reggae jam incorporating elements of The Vibrators' 'Troops Of Tomorrow'. And they ended on 'I Want'.
A very tight set. Highly enjoyable even if the sound man managed to make everything sound a bit 'muggy'. Being a Friday, and a very early start, the band had to make to with an audience made up of those who made the extra effort (or took the day off or don't work) and so had maybe 75 or 80 people in. Still, in this day and age there's a lot of bands that would be happy with that. And the crowd were enthusiastic. So that's all good. But it was VERY hot down in that basement. And it only got hotter.

Due to a 'leg' problem my wife (Xa) and our walking sticks retired to the comfy sofa chairs in the bar area where we where very pleased to realise that the mixed sound was being pumped in through the overhead speakers and the air-con was on full blast. So we sat down intending to go back in to the main area when Ruts DC came on. However, by the time they did the audience had swelled to 'sold out' proportions. It was rammed. We decided to listen to the set from comfort like a couple of old pensioners. I just popped in a few times to be confronted with a wall of heat and sound.

'Ruts DC' were magnificent. Yes, we got most of the old classics but I was really more impressed with the quality of the new material from the 'Music Must Destroy' album. This was, after all, the album launch party and it's what I personally went for. The first collection of 'rock' tracks since 'Animal Now' back in 1981. I'd heard half these new songs at various gigs over the last year or so but they had been 'formative' versions. This set was super tight. In fact, listening to the 'mixed' sound through the speakers I'd say this performance could be released as a 'live' album with very little 'tweaking'. Segs is a great and affable front man. I'n sure he used to be quieter. And his bass is majestic. Dave Ruffy's drums NEVER miss a beat. Leigh Heggarty is easily as good a guitarist as Paul Fox was and it's good that he can prove that on the new songs and not just playing the old familiar riffs on those 'Ruts' classics. Brilliant as they are.

We heard EVERY track from the new album. I couldn't hear a weak one. I'm not going to list them...buy the album. There were even some slower ballads in there that I heard people in the bar disparaging; but these were the same people who walked out every time a new song was played and only went back in for the 'old songs'. Nostalgia's great but it's 2016 not 1979. Open your EARS people. These are fantastic songs full of the same lyrical anger and protest the band has always had.

I'll state my favourites (today anyway) are 'Music Must Destroy' (released as the new single with guest vocals from Henry Rollins), 'Kill The Pain' (that Malcolm could have sung if he were around today), the funky 'Tears On Fire' (that strangely reminds me of 'Stone Roses' and....oh hell, they're all great.

Anyway, there was an 'open to all' post gig party but being old and knackered we went home and played the album again. It was a great night. One of the best gigs of the year. Actually, there's been a whole lot of cracking gigs this year. But I'd put this in my top 5.
ManInBrown
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Ruts DC / Department S – Underworld, Camden 16.9.2016

Post by gjinblack »

Great review Rockula, sounds like a great evening was had.
If I ever write a review half as good as that I'll be a happy fella.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
euromanc-ometh
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Nice one Rockula 8)
Sounded good down the front too...
Thank you very much
EiTC
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Excellent review, thinking of putting the new album on my wish list after reading that.
straightenout
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by straightenout »

Great gig ,Great Album and Great band
I don't mean Rough Looking
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Thanks for the review Rockula, couldn't make this gig as i was at work. Got my first Ruts DC album through the post on Friday morning. I like it, i have played it 4 times so far. There is a fresh attacking sound to the songs that i like.

Psychic Attack
Music Must Destroy
Suprise
really strong opening to an album. I like all of these songs but Suprise is my favourite at the minute, great riff and great singing from Segs, like his Shouty voice and bass!.

Second Hand Child
Sport City Lights
Kill the pain
More melodic side to the band, different bunch of songs to the first 3,but Second Hand Child sounds like a single for the second single from the album.

Peace Bomb, I don't really like this one, it's a bit to on the hippie side for me, played it once and it gets a skip now. The Weird tracks, always track number 7 on an album.

Tears on fire
The Vox Teardrop, again decent songs, but shame the album didnt hit home all the way from the first 3 songs, but the vex tear drop is very good and has a good guitar solo at the end, reminds me of She Gave it all on About Time .... Which leads to

Golden Boy,sadly not as good as The Stranglers one, i dont really like this song either, but it sounds like its a tribute to Malcom Owen, Overall a good album. Love the first 4 songs, like the 5th and 6th, dont like the 7th don't mind the 8th and 9th, don't like the 10th,

8/10