Penetration, 100 Club, 19/8/2016

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

After a fraught, slow journey of train cancellations and bus diversions we finally got to the 100 Club last night just seconds before the support band, Klammer, went on stage. No time for the usual pre-gig meet-up in The Ship in Wardour Street unfortunately.

Klammer were interesting. Very post-punk/Wire/Gang Of Four but with some guitar that was a bit Gothy; a little like The Mission in places. Vocals were more 'spoken-in-tune' than 'sung' which reminded me of The Blue Aeroplanes. Unfortunately the soundman wasn't very good during their set and it was a bit 'muggy'. I think he was saving the 'good mix' for Penetration.

The event was well over-subscribed and over-sold. The venue was more packed than I've EVER seen it in 40 years. I reckon they broke their licence by allowing around 100 more people in than capacity should allow. And there were many more without tickets waiting on the 'off chance' anybody had a spare ticket.
They also removed ALL the usual tables and chairs leaving absolutely nowhere inside for my wife Xa to sit and rest. She has MS so that wasn't good at all. It was like a sauna in there and several people suggested the place change it's name to 'The 100 Degrees Club'. Getting to the bar for a 'cooler' was a nightmare.

We watched the first half of Penetration's set from the doorway near the stairs. We were asked to move but when we asked 'where to?' they just shrugged and let us stay there. At least the coat-check people let Xa use one of their chairs for a bit when they weren't using them themselves so that was nice of them. She could hear the set perfectly even if she couldn't see the band from there.

Penetration were on excellent form despite having a stand-in 2nd guitarist who had only had a couple of rehearsals. They did most of the new album ('Resolution') and it was spot on. Excellent sound, excellent performance. When they got to the 2nd half of the set, the 'classics', it didn't sound as good. Maybe the heat made them tired, maybe Pauline's vocal range has changed; I've seen better performances of the old songs in the last year or so. Anyway, we only stayed for 3 more songs then left intending go home. But we walked out to the sound of the band doing their cover of Patti Smith's 'Free Money' so stayed outside on the pavement in Oxford Street and listened to a couple more from there. We chatted to all the sweaty, dripping people who were 'Coming Up For Air'. Nice pun that, eh? ;)

Got delayed on the way back to Liverpool Street Station as Bishopsgate was was closed to traffic and we had to get off the bus. There was a large Police presence and the Trauma Unit van. We managed to walk down past the corpse on the pavement. Stabbing, road accident or roof jumper we don't know but there was a lot of blood running into the gutter. Unpleasant. But pretty average for a Friday night in The City these days.

We're kind of glad we went but it was one of the most uncomfortable gigs we've been to since the last time we went to Rebellion.

At least next time we go there I'll be DJing for The Members/Ed Banger & The Nosebleeds gig and Xa will have a seat at the merch desk. :)
ManInBrown
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Penetration, 100 Club, 19/8/2016

Post by gjinblack »

Good review and report on the evening's latter events.
A shame they packed too many into the venue. You think they'd realise the older bands attract older clientelle and leave a bit more room.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
euromanc-ometh
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Thanks for the review Rockula. Sorry it was uncomfortable for you and particularly Xa. I have always loved the 100 Club but your review has made me think twice about going again.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Boody wrote:Thanks for the review Rockula. Sorry it was uncomfortable for you and particularly Xa. I have always loved the 100 Club but your review has made me think twice about going again.
Cheers.

We go there more than any other venue. But it's usually half full or at least has some space at the sides where a few tables and chairs are available if you get in early.
This was our most 'challenging' visit. :lol:
ManInBrown
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Thanks for the review, shame you found it a bit tough going.

Dr feelgood I think are playing there in November & I'll hopefully be going along to that.

Last went there a couple of months ago to see Eddie & the hotrods supported by department s, it was easy enough for me to get back to the bar for a refill even though I was stood right near the stage.

It's still a great venue I think but probably doesn't cope too well when totally full given the layout of the place.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I Hate You !
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Thanks for the review Rockula. Hope your next visit is a bit more comfortable and the journey home smoother.
No one can win against kipple.