Ghost Album Review

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Ghost Album Review

Post by pigeon »

The 3rd album from Swedish band Ghost. While i have had time to live with it since it's release on August 21st. It's currently on it's 3rd listen. As my work shedule has been rather frantic of late. The dissapointment of the 2nd album "Infestuismam",the band obviously got the critics,what's happend since then you ask?. Well an indorsement from non other than Dave Ghrol. This 3rd album entitled "Melioria",defintley hit's home, in a more finer way. The album pay's great attention to fine detail. This album potrays the mysterious world they live in to it's potential. While people know they take their sounds from influences of old, Metallica,Slayer, Blue Oyster Cult, King Crimson. There's also a cinematic vision executed on this album particularly well.

Well lets get to the music "spirit" is the albums opener, possbily one of the most dynamic songs they have ever written,with a haunting vocal, from the new Papa Emeritous. you get the feeling this album is going to have twists and turns as you go through it, as theres a very theatrical sence to this song which leads into

"From the pinnacle to the pit", probably the best song Ghost have ever written. With a dirty bass intro, pression guitar riffs, and fine drumming, brilliant singing from emeritous "from the pinnacle ... to the pit". There is a Metallica momment with the drumming in the mid section is very "Ride the lightning".

"Ciarce" up next the bands choice lead up single, starts off with an acoustic intro,which leads into a Slayer type of riff. This will be a live favorite for years to come, because of its resemblence to Slayer. Great singing and drumming all round on this one.

"He is" up next is a different style which starts of with a harp, and acoustic guitars, it is very erier,while they continue to praise their god, of Satan, midway through the song bursts into life with an orchistral pianos. It's the start of the musically adventrous ghost get on this album,but as riddiuclas as Ghost are they go from the most musical on the album to the most dorky sounding on the album "He is" finishes and crahes into the next song
"mummy dust" i still like it the lyrics start of "I was carried on a wolfs back", this leads into several songs of pression riffing

"Magesty", is a decent song but it doesn't really go any where musically it stays in one mono place, but it will be enjoyed live. The highlight of this song is the guitar solo with a very nice synth sound in the background.

"Devil Chruch" up next starts of with an Organ than reminds you of a horror film, which breaks into a ballady riff and an almost operaticness abou it,it is an short instrumental it then segues into

"Absolotion" With its crushing twisting and turning guitar riffs, not to high but they are there, the singing starts of with "Ever since your were born youve been dying" thesongs guitar riffs get quiter with nice litle piano orchestrations, and then back into the guitar riffing, as the song goes on the pianos and the guitars are brought into the mix and it builds, then it all slows down, with a single synth and builds up again, to a twin guitar harmony solo.

Dues in ausentia is the last song on the album, starts of with a ticking grandfather clock, the music breaks in like a Madness song slowed down with pianos and bass, the music then breaks into an opera like its a play. the opening lines are "The world is on fire", the Madness vibe stays in the song until the drumming kicks in and they go back to do what they are known for with a nice organ sound, the song then goes back to the ticking clock, and back to the Madness vibe, then a Sweeping organ cressendo the main words are "The world is on fire, and we are here to rebel, forever more", the song ends with a choir.
zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Ghost Album Review

Post by zontar »

Sorry...stopped reading when you mentioned Grohl.
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

I stopped at Swedish!
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
magnus
Down In The Sewer

Post by magnus »

Me too
IamCoop
Rats Rally

Post by IamCoop »

Loved the first album, hated the second, third sounding like a return to form. Great review Pidge, cheers fella!
'Stranglers - Cops Set To Move'