Megadeth 30th Anniversary

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Megadeth 30th Anniversary

Post by pigeon »

Megadeth have annnounced a UK tour in November, celebrating the bands 30th anniversary with a mini tour which rolls into Wembley Arena on Saturday 14th November. This is one for me to go to. 4th time seeing Megadeth for me.https://www.facebook.com/LiveNationUK/p ... =1&theater
straightenout
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Megadeth 30th Anniversary

Post by straightenout »

Why ? :?
I don't mean Rough Looking
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

pigeon wrote:4th time seeing Megadeth for me.
Cyaf ?
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I have always been a fan of Megadeth, of various songs not full albums, as there has alway's been a rift in heavy metal, between Metallica and Megadeth. You were either Metallica or Megadeth and in secondary school it got pretty ugly. The reason for this is because Dave Mustaine use to be a member of Metallica in 1981 and Metallica famously fired him in 1982 after a year in the band for being an alchoholic. The other band members use to drink a lot too but they were silly drunks, and he was a violent drunk so the two just didn't fly. So they were in New Jersey one morning they sqautted in an unused Wearhouse, after waking dave up hungover from the night before, he woke up to find 3 band members looking down at him saying your out of the band, and they booked him a greyhound bus ticket 4 days clear cross america, which left in 45 minutes time. So ever since then Dave has been mad at Metallica. He went on to form Megadeth, who are the second biggest metal band, and he is way pissed off with that.

But i never saw Megadeth until Sonisphere Kenbworth 2011 when metallica did a tour of the big 4 of Heavy metal, they are obviously Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. This would mean that Dave Mustaine and Metallica would be reunited 30 odd years later, Megadeth came onstage and i was blown away by their performance of supreme technicallity, he wasent the arsehole, he was potrayed to be by hes former band members attall. Infact all bands were good but obviously Metallica blew them all out of the water that night, however i had a new respect for Dave Mustaine and Megadeth.

So i went to buy some of hes albums i already had the famous ones "Rust in piece" and "Countdown to exctinsion" and "So far so good so what?", so then i went to buy 1984s "Peace Cells whos buying" which was brilliant. Good album

So in 2012 Metallica were on the Black album 20th anniversary tour at Donnington Park where they played the album in full, Dave and Megadeth were on the Sunday, so i Missed them, but on the Monday i got told they were playing an exclusive gig at Camdens Electric Ballroom so i snapped up tickets immeadiantly. Again an awesome gig even though Dave "So how many of you saw me at Download? ... How many of you were there for Metallica?" a couple cheered and Dave Said "There's always one or two". That put me off him a little bit. But then i went to buy a couple of more albums

1994s "Youthanasia" & 2012s "Supercollider". I loved "Youthanasia" the lastest offering of theres was alright. In 2013 they announced a gig at The Brixton Academy being nearly 20 years since the release of "youthanasia" i immediantly bought a ticket, Even though Dave got pissed at management "Don't call this the f*cking 20 year anniversary of Youthansia tour cos it f*king aint, don't fob off our fans,that's not f*cking cool with me" he said in press interviews. However they did play selected songs from the album including fans favorites "She wolf" and "Archetects of aggression", however this was the worst sounding gig i have seen him do. I wasen't that impressed and haven't bought many of hes other albums but that's mainly because there all on you tube.

Which leads me to this gig. I'm not much of a fan of Wembley Arena, but i will give him another chance.
Ravenette
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ravenette »

It's almost like Pidge was there at the start...
I've got some chloroform and handcuffs, just for you.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

pigeon wrote: Which leads me to this gig. I'm not much of a fan of Wembley Arena, but i will give him another chance.
Enjoy it Pige.

On the plus side, Flourence and the Machine are confirmed as Special Guests.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

PaulinLondon wrote:
pigeon wrote: Which leads me to this gig. I'm not much of a fan of Wembley Arena, but i will give him another chance.
Enjoy it Pige.

On the plus side, Flourence and the Machine are confirmed as Special Guests.
:grin:

Presale tickets today £35. I will wait a couple of months before i get mine

Anyway this is one of my favorites of theirs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W2ZZOMD0Xk

And you'l like the intro to this video The Stranglers get a mention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi6KPklrNDc
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Okay, I'll bite...

As far as Metallica are concerned I have a lot of time for the run of albums they did from 'Kill 'Em All' up until the self-titled record; whether you're into metal or not, each and every single one of those is a metal classic. My favourite Metallica period in particular is when they got "progressive" with their arrangements - the long songs with different movements where they'd jam as many riffs, tempo and even time signature changes into their songs as possible: 'Master of Puppets' and '...And Justice For All' in particular. Even though the latter has always been criticised for its dry, bass-less sound, I think the material on the record is very strong. I generally disagree with those that say that the self-titled record was "the end", if anything it was a reaction to the previous album being so difficult to play live - it just happened to sell a lot of copies. I used to consider 'Load'/'Reload' to be disappointments, but over time I've come to appreciate some, but not all, of the material on those records. If they'd trimmed down the 'Load'/'Reload' songs to a single album with the very best of the material, it could have ended up in a record that was as strong as the self-titled record - the thing that I've learned though, is that every fan has vastly different favourites from those albums. They just seemed to coast a lot after that: 'Garage Inc', I thought was pointless, 'S&M' an interesting experiment at mixing metal with an orchestra, 'St. Anger' I thought was woefully shit, and 'Lulu' was an interesting collaboration but one which I struggle to get through from start to finish. I'll concede that 'Death Magnetic' was decent, though.

As for Megadeth, I think I actually prefer their recent output in general to Metallica's, and I would even go as far as saying that 'Rust In Peace' is not only up there with Metallica's and Slayer's best works, but is actually my favourite thrash metal album ever, just in its blend of sheer technicality and great production. Mustaine will never be as good a vocalist as Hetfield (IMO), but the guy can write a fucking searing thrash metal riff in his sleep.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

On the Megadeth front it's funnny how most fans say "Rust in peace" is there favorite album. I like it as a whole album and i can see why most will say that. It's got the riffs,the solos, the flavors of Megadeth and prodution correct on that album. "Torrando of souls" is a great song. But in my opionion "Youthanasia" should be up there too but it hardley gets a mention. It's got one of the top 3 Megadeth Songs of all time on it "A tout le mond",which Dave Mustaine himself says is one of his proudest momments in music, that song is so unlike anything Megadeth have ever done.

Also 1992's "Countdown to Extinction" which has "Symphony of Destruction" which also has to be his best riffs. I lost touch with Megadeths 1998s "Cryptic Writtings",as they released a series of radio friendly albums and albums to me that where released just to keep the "Brand" of Megadeth going that mustaine has built up for himself. But i think most will say there best albums were from 83 to 1994.

Agree with most of your Metallica comments from "Kill em all", "Ride the lightning", "Master of Puppets" which is my favourite Metallica album,those 8 songs are all killer and no filler, every note hit and lyric sang means something, as apposed to "Ride the lightning" there was a filler on the album "escape" and "Kill em all" "Anastasia pulling teath" you could say was a filler. But "Master of Puppets" no filler even "Orion" is there best ever instrumental. And the song that was suppose to be the filler because they needed one more "The thing that should not be" is one of there heaviest songs ever. I have lost count of the amount of times i have done the air guitar solo to "Battery",and "Welcome home (sanatarium) is one of the best songs they have ever written. They always play it live and when Hetfield belows "SANATARIUM, LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE .... OH YEAH" it sends shivers down your spine. Right through to "Damage inc" which is still the heaviest song they have ever written, "fuck it all and fucking no regrets, never happy endings on these dark sets"

"And justice for all" parts of it was brilliant, but you cant hear the bass, because they screwed Jason Newstead over on the album, and his still pretty pissed off about that now. I still love the "Black Album" thats the album that got me into metal. And i really like "Load" thats a great album with such classics as "Bleeding me" and "The Outlaw torn". "Reload" i find hard listening, just the leftovers from "load" that they never finished really. "Garage inc" was good to get the $5.89ep and the 80s covers on disc. My favourite cover on the disc 1 was the 11 minute "Mercyful fate" medly. 11 minutes of satan, james always said.

Some good momments on "S & M", but i dissagree about "St,Anger" i really like it, if you ever have a pissy day at work go home and put "St,anger" on "I'm madly in anger with you" good way of releasing your inner anger towards everyone you work with. "Some kind of Monster" and "Dirty window" are ok songs too, not forgettting 2008s "Death Magnetic" now 7 years old and still some good songs on it,just poor production by Rick Rubin, has he ever produced a decent album????. Yes the "Lulu" debacle was a disgrace from start to finish,and i have only listend to it once!!.

The "Beyoned magnetic" EP however they turned it round a little bit "Just a bullet away" is the best selections of songs from these. And Last years "Lords of Summer" was a decent enough song. And not forgetting the 3D movie "Through the never" saw it twice in the imax cinema, was a good concert, the story line was good aswell. I've got it on DVD but not watched it yet.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

pigeon wrote:On the Megadeth front it's funnny how most fans say "Rust in peace" is there favorite album. I like it as a whole album and i can see why most will say that. It's got the riffs,the solos, the flavors of Megadeth and prodution correct on that album. "Torrando of souls" is a great song. But in my opionion "Youthanasia" should be up there too but it hardley gets a mention. It's got one of the top 3 Megadeth Songs of all time on it "A tout le mond",which Dave Mustaine himself says is one of his proudest momments in music, that song is so unlike anything Megadeth have ever done.

Also 1992's "Countdown to Extinction" which has "Symphony of Destruction" which also has to be his best riffs. I lost touch with Megadeths 1998s "Cryptic Writtings",as they released a series of radio friendly albums and albums to me that where released just to keep the "Brand" of Megadeth going that mustaine has built up for himself. But i think most will say there best albums were from 83 to 1994.
I like both 'Youthanasia' and 'Countdown To Extinction', the former is (as you say) very underrated and the latter is definitely up there as being of one of Megadeth's best. I'm not a massive fan of 'Cryptic Writings' or 'Risk', but I get back on board with them again from 'United Abominations'. I like 'Endgame' and 'Thirteen' in particular, and I enjoyed 'Super Collider'. On the whole though, I think you're right that that ultimately their best albums were from the beginning up until 'Youthanasia', especially the Mustaine/Ellefson/Friedman/Menza line-up which to me is the best line-up the band ever had.
pigeon wrote:"And justice for all" parts of it was brilliant, but you cant hear the bass, because they screwed Jason Newstead over on the album, and his still pretty pissed off about that now. I still love the "Black Album" thats the album that got me into metal. And i really like "Load" thats a great album with such classics as "Bleeding me" and "The Outlaw torn".
'...And Justice For All', from a compositional point of view, is probably the most complex set of tracks that Metallica ever did when it comes down to it. Everyone talks about the album lacking bass, but in a perverse kind of way I think the albums dry sound means it's aged quite well. It really doesn't sound like an album that was recorded in the '80s from a production standpoint, and the album has actually been quite influential on various "math-rock" bands. 'Bleeding Me' was one of those songs on 'Load' that was a bit of a grower for me, but I've always loved 'The Outlaw Torn' and thought it was a bit of a shame that they couldn't include the full version of it on 'Load' because they packed the CD to maximum capacity. It's probably the best song on the album, for me.
pigeon wrote:2008s "Death Magnetic" now 7 years old and still some good songs on it,just poor production by Rick Rubin, has he ever produced a decent album????
The problem with 'Death Magnetic' is actually less in the production itself and more in the way that it was mastered for CD - the whole album has been mastered way too "hot" (or "loud", in other words), and thus any subtlety/nuances in the music are just completely wrecked. The mastering on the CD edition of 'Death Magnetic' is actually so poor that dedicated studio buffs cite it as an example as probably one of the worst mastering jobs ever. However, all is not lost - mastering albums for vinyl is a completely different skill to mastering albums for CD, and because of the relative limitations of vinyl, you can't get away with mastering albums too loudly (playing vinyl is a mechanical process, so cutting engineers are very wary of doing anything that may cause the needle to fly off the record). Therefore, the vinyl edition is far more listenable than the CD edition - if you can find it on vinyl, pick it up without hesitation.

It's doubtful that Rick Rubin had much to do with the mastering of the album, though. In fact it's debatable as to whether he actually has much to do with the album he produces. He comes from a different school of record production to, say, Bob Rock. Where Bob Rock is present at all times and basically is more "hands on" with everything, Rick Rubin tends to not be present at the recording sessions. He basically lets the band get on with recording the album with an engineer, and comes in once every week or couple of weeks, listens to what's been done, and suggests changes, and then buggers off again. It's not an approach that everyone likes, though: you might want to read up Corey Taylor from Slipknot's thoughts on Rick Rubin when he worked on a Slipknot album. If I recall, he called him "overrated" and "overpaid".

There are some albums with Rick Rubin's name on it that sound good: particularly think 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' and 'One Hot Minute' (Red Hot Chili Peppers) sound great, although 'Californication' less so (again, the album is mastered too "hot", which was uncalled for since the album is already in MONO and therefore has a loudness and punch that comes from that... the mastering took it over the top). The first two System of a Down albums sound great, and let's not forget he "worked on" Slayer's 'Reign In Blood', too, which is another must-hear slab of thrash metal.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Great post. "And justice for All" as i gave it a yesterday all the way through,does sound a very ambitious album, like they were trying to be better musicians than they thought they were. As the first three albums is basically thrashing all on open E. They wanted to push the boundries on who they thought they were as a band. The most expiermented peace would have to be the instrumental "To live is to Die" as there is a lot going on, and believe it or not "One". "And justice for All" sounds hard but once you learn to play it you find out it is not that hard. The album does have it's "Dry" momments "Eye of the beholder", "The Shortest Straw" and even "The Frayed Ends of Sanity" even though it is a fans favourite, it is a very "harsh and punishing" sounding song. Some of those songs just seem to labouredly put together, And when played live especially "The Shortest Straw" while a great album track,it doesn't carry any spontanious,witt or give of an energy live because it's so one dimmensional and mechanically put together. The most entertaining part is waiting for the james fuck up lyric line because it always happens on that song. But it is a great album song. There are Killer songs on the album namley "Blackened", "Harvester of Sorrow" and the insanley fast "Dyers Eve", that when the band plays these songs live, you litterally loose your shit.

On the Megadeth "risk" album i have not heard it and i don't want to as many sources tell me it is pish. And i didn't like "Super Collider" wish i never bought it now but Daves a good persuader into making you go out and buy a turd.