Killing Joke

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Killing Joke

Post by Greatkudu »

I have their first album,which is possibly the best? and also "Revelations",and i remember their hits when they had a more commercial faze,I am out

of touch with what they are doing now,I have heard they are one of the best live bands ever and Jaz Coleman is a totally unique frontman being a trained classical conductor,I know they or Jaz used to be really in to the occult? I don't know if he still is now,but I must try and see them live one day.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I've got all their stuff. Im not really into their early albums. I like Night Time onwards. Brighter than a thousand Suns is one of my all time favourite albums. I also really like Pylon, Extremities and Absolute Dissent and the one after that. I wasn't too keen on Hosannas though.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

From the 8 albums's i own now, it's the early albums i prefer.
The best for me is the debut, which still sums them up best as a band.
Then Revelation's which is just as good as the debut.
What's this for? has it's moments

From then on it gets a bit patchy i don't really like Nightime!
hate Brighter than a thousand sons
& Outside gate

then it's a toss up between
Killing joke 2003
Democracy
and Pylon "pylon" is a good album.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

pigeon wrote: 25 May 2019, 11:08 From the 8 albums's i own now, it's the early albums i prefer.
The best for me is the debut, which still sums them up best as a band.
Then Revelation's which is just as good as the debut.
What's this for? has it's moments

From then on it gets a bit patchy i don't really like Nightime!
hate Brighter than a thousand sons
& Outside gate

then it's a toss up between
Killing joke 2003
Democracy
and Pylon "pylon" is a good album.
I'd rate most of their more recent albums as better than their early one's . The early one's had excellent singles such as Requiem , Wardance but it wasn't until Nightime IMO that they did a consistently good album , after that there was n holding them back . Pandemonium is probably my favourite , but the last two or three have been very good . I liked Hosanna's BUT .... uncompromising in sound , I found Jaz vocal to be too shout all the way through , its a bit like The Stranglers doing a whole album of JJ in Summatoutanowt mode , irritating over a whole album . Of late Jaz has been singing again rather than yelling .
I'd have to listen to the early one's again as a lot I have forgotten now , but the singles of each were all very good , probably the best off the albums ( Follow the leader , Empire song , chop chop , Birds of a feather ) .
Overall though they are probably my second favourite band after The Stranglers and up there with Chelsea ( punk band NOT football team ) .
All quiet ..........
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 May 2019, 17:42 I have their first album,which is possibly the best? and also "Revelations",and i remember their hits when they had a more commercial faze,I am out

of touch with what they are doing now,I have heard they are one of the best live bands ever and Jaz Coleman is a totally unique frontman being a trained classical conductor,I know they or Jaz used to be really in to the occult? I don't know if he still is now,but I must try and see them live one day.
Buy the last 3 albums and work your way backwards perhaps?
These last 3 albums are my favourite 3 albums by any band over the last ten years or so and live and IMHO Killing Joke are hard to beat at the moment but I do wish they would tour more like The Stranglers do. Lazy feckers!
:grin:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Caution don't listen to Killing Joke late at night,played "Revelations" very late the other night and had terrible nightmares seeing the image of the Devil,they are all in to the Occult so I will not be playing them late at night again.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Greatkudu wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 12:36 Caution don't listen to Killing Joke late at night,played "Revelations" very late the other night and had terrible nightmares seeing the image of the Devil,they are all in to the Occult so I will not be playing them late at night again.
Do you believe that Killing Joke are seriously into all that esoteric arts/the occult stuff? Apparently Jaz Coleman has an IQ of 170 or thereabouts and does say some very fascinating and interesting stuff but at the same time he also seems to talk a lot of bullshit, I’m not so sure, probably just a thing to give the band an air of mystery? [like Led Zeppelin did] Hope I’m wrong and it’s all true cos Ive always been interested in the esoterica and occult stuff too, mainly Aleister Crowley.
8)
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Unspeakable has got quite a scary intro!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Did you two guys hide behind the settee when Dr Who was on in the 70’s?
:smile:
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 19:24 Did you two guys hide behind the settee when Dr Who was on in the 70’s?
:smile:
I still do with Mrs Dr Who! :lol:
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Greatkudu wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 12:36 Caution don't listen to Killing Joke late at night,played "Revelations" very late the other night and had terrible nightmares seeing the image of the Devil,they are all in to the Occult so I will not be playing them late at night again.
Big Girls Bra!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 21:11
Do you believe that Killing Joke are seriously into all that esoteric arts/the occult stuff? Apparently Jaz Coleman has an IQ of 170 or thereabouts and does say some very fascinating and interesting stuff but at the same time he also seems to talk a lot of bullshit, I’m not so sure, probably just a thing to give the band an air of mystery? [like Led Zeppelin did] Hope I’m wrong and it’s all true cos Ive always been interested in the esoterica and occult stuff too, mainly Aleister Crowley.
8)
Yes they are or were heavily into the occult,very much so.It can do alot of damage if you dabble,ask some of The Stranglers? it's something they won't

talk about,people think it's bullshit but they are wrong,you can conjure up some bad energy sometimes,caution required.