Killing Joke

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Killing Joke

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Review of sorts in reverse, got to chat with ‘YOUTH’ outside after the gig, the Killing Joke bass player and producer of artists such as Paul McCartney who I believe he recorded several albums with under the name of ‘The Fireman’? and many many other artists too.

Anyway I was wearing The Stranglers logo T-Shirt and I noticed Youth was looking at it so I decided to suggest to Youth that Killing Joke and The Stranglers should tour together, it would be Magnificent but he looked at me as if I was a bit of a loony [well, he’s not wrong there) anyway I said his spliff smelt nice and he offered me a go on it, but I politely declined.
I think I was at one point talking to Jaz Coleman’s sister or something and asked what she thought of Killing Joke and The Stranglers doing a tour together and I got a barrage of The Stranglers? Sexist pigs, blah blah, horrible people, Women haters, Women beaters!!! .....er hello WTF? LOL. Come on Woman, have you been hanging around with that wanker- John Savage for the last 42 years? jeez Women, show a little bit of intelligence FFS.

Anyway the gig, it was a good un but I was pissed off cos usually gigs (Headliners) at the Leeds O2 Acadamy come on stage at 9.15pm ish, got a lift off a mate who was on a way to a rave with his lady friend and got down there for 8.20pm and the fuckers had been on stage since 8pm already! WTF?
Anyway the sound was a bit like Motörhead at times - to be honest - a sheer wall of fucking noise, guess it’s where you stand as always but it just wasn’t a good mix, perhaps the guy mixing was deaf, stoned or both or ....dead. You couldn’t hear each instrument very well. Jaz Coleman looked liked a man possessed as usual but you just don’t know with that guy if he’s faking it or proper fucked, or channeling some kinda fucked-upness specially in interviews, apparently he’s got an IQ of ‘190’ or summat (ahem.....Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein ‘only’ had an IQ of 160) and comes out with some intelligent and interesting information but other times you just think the guys a bit of a nob, he’s a strange one is Mr Coleman. The set was ok but there was loads more I was hoping to hear from last 3 albums which are superb and deserved to be heard. But you got all the old classics and some new ones -

(no ‘"In Cythera’ my all time fave :( at the moment and ‘ "In Excelsis’)

According to setlist fm -

* European Super State 

* Autonomous Zone

* Eighties 

* New Cold War 

* Requiem 

* Bloodsport 

* Follow the Leaders 

* Butcher 

* Loose Cannon 

* Labyrinth 

* Corporate Elect 

* Asteroid 

* The Wait 

* Pssyche 

* Encore:
* S.O.36 

* Turn to Red 

* Love Like Blood 

* The Death and Resurrection Show 

* Wardance 

* Pandemonium 

i dont do marks out of ten, hell I don’t do fecking reviews to be honest but I’ll give it a 7/10.

Thrubeingcool how was it for you mate? :smt006
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

Top notch in Manchester on wednesday. To honest there aint much better live knocking around these days Jaz and the boys are on fire.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

MrBlack77 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 17:45 Top notch in Manchester on wednesday. To honest there aint much better live knocking around these days Jaz and the boys are on fire.
So the mix was good? Sounded good or like in Leeds, sounded like Listening to Motörhead?
Just a noise, a wonderful noise but still just a noise.
:?
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Incredible end of tour gig at the Roundhouse, better than the Bristol gig I went to a week before(and that good!).

For me there is no better live band around, the sheer power, intensity and songs just piss over all competitors.

Here's hoping for an new album and some more live dates. 8)
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

gizzard wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 12:31 Incredible end of tour gig at the Roundhouse, better than the Bristol gig I went to a week before(and that good!).

For me there is no better live band around, the sheer power, intensity and songs just piss over all competitors.

Mr Gizzard what was the sound like in the Roundhouse? a good mix or just a wall of noise coming at yer like Motörhead?
I just couldnt hear each instrument really and was pissed off that they came on far too early at 8pm and I missed the first 20 minutes :?
I was expecting them to come on like The Stranglers usually do around about 9pm - 9.15pm at the O2 Academy in Leeds.
Still, would love to see em again, and yep totally agree one of the best bands out there touring at the moment.
8)
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 17:01
gizzard wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 12:31 Incredible end of tour gig at the Roundhouse, better than the Bristol gig I went to a week before(and that good!).

Mr Gizzard what was the sound like in the Roundhouse? a good mix or just a wall of noise coming at yer like Motörhead?
I just couldnt hear each instrument really and was pissed off that they came on far too early at 8pm and I missed the first 20 minutes :?
I was expecting them to come on like The Stranglers usually do around about 9pm - 9.15pm at the O2 Academy in Leeds.
Still, would love to see em again, and yep totally agree one of the best bands out there touring at the moment.
8)
Mr ASG,

The sound was spot on, no complaints from me, ordered the CD from Pledge(not arrived as yet) but have the download and that sounds damn good.

New album in 2020 apparently. :smt001
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Tim
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Tim »

Interestingly Youth produced Shed Seven's lastest album - I know the Shed's guitarist/keyboard player, Joe, and had a pint or 6 recently with him where he revealed that he'd taken the Stranglers Feline to Spain (where Youth's studio is) with him as inspiration for keyboard parts on the album. Can certainly hear at the start of the track called "Enemies and Friends": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5131iV00Ioo - sounds a bit Waiting For 'Em too...
your brain's exposed and its starting to show your rotten thoughts YUK!
Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Hammer »

Just announced a mini-tour in August, booked a ticket for Wolverhampton at a venue I've never heard of.
Fancied London on the Saturday, but not willing to pay £50! :shock:
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Hammer wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 14:21 Just announced a mini-tour in August, booked a ticket for Wolverhampton at a venue I've never heard of.
See you there fella 😎
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Brighton! Couldn't resist.
No one can win against kipple.
Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Hammer »

gizzard wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 19:56
Hammer wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 14:21 Just announced a mini-tour in August, booked a ticket for Wolverhampton at a venue I've never heard of.
See you there fella 😎
Definitely. 8)
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Forgot to give my review of the Roundhouse gig back in November, thought it was very good, a good mix of songs spanning their career, first for the likes of "Lose Cannon" which seemed an odd one to play, but then there an odd band. Enjoyed "European Super State", "Atononmus Zone", "pandimonium" was a great ending, Jaz was like a man possessed, the most i have seen him. I still think the Brixton Academy in 2016 was the best time i have seen them so far, but this ranks with the London Scala last year.