Gig Review – Adam Ant – Sub 89 Reading 11th April 2015.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Adam Ant plays Dirk Wears White Sox.

A Rendezvous was made with SiB and FdN as we made journey by Flower-powered Antler-Infusion Sugar-Tong Pumpkin Drive to Reading in April of the year 2015,
where we encountered Ravenette at a local watering hole.

Travelling via India for reasons nutritional, we suddenly found ourselves in a local club - Sub 89,
where several colonies of Ants were gathered for an Audience with The King Ant – Adam himself.

And soon their audience was granted, as Adam and his band fired up in to Car Trouble Pts 1 and 2,
proceeded to take us through the whole of the Dirk Wears White Sox Album with an efficient, quick-fire delivery.

The sound was loud, up-front and in your face with songs like Never Trust a Man With Egg on His Face and the sublime Table Talk,
sounding quite heavy, while not losing any of their subtlety. Great stuff!

In addition to the Dirk material we were treated to a whole host of dark punky goodness; ranging from early release classics like Plastic Surgery, Lady and Zerox,
to a whole host of the bootleg era classics (many released as the B-sides during the hits era) like Greta X, Red Scab and Beat My Guest.

Adam appeared tightly focussed at the start of the set, driving the band and concentrating on his performance.
As the performance progressed he seemed to ease into it and open up to the audience more,
all the while remaining in control yet radiating genuine warmth.

On the covers front there were two: Paying tribute to and name-checking former Ants; Matthew Ashman, Dave Barbarossa and Andy Warren,
Adam and the band proceeded to deliver a highly atmospheric rendition of a Dave Berry number Strange Effect (one of tonight’s highlights).
While at the encore the venue curfew was met with T Rex’s Get it On.

So the set tonight was comprised mainly of early Adam and The Ants material and the audience lapped it up.
On the hit front we were treated to just the two in the first encore with rocking versions of both Kings of The Wild Frontier and Ant Music.

Before we knew where we were Prince Charming had left the building, Ravenette had done a bunk for the last train and FdN had slipped outside unnoticed,
leaving just SiB and myself to fend off a surreal Siren and her UKIP recruitment campaign (at an Adam Ant gig! Raving Looneys more like!).
Reading itself was beginning to teem with nightlife as we made our timely exit and subsequent escape.

Verdict: Adam and his band have got it in spades. Top Stuff!

Over…
Thank you very much
EiTC
Dorty
Down In The Sewer

Re: Gig Review – Adam Ant – Sub 89 Reading 11th April 2015.

Post by Dorty »

For six months in the early 1980s (can't remember exactly when), Adam Ant truly was The Man.

It just seems like yesterday.
Black Leather Jacket
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Black Leather Jacket »

Saw this tour last year in London and it's a great night out. Apparently he's doing Kings next time.
Home is a black leather jacket
Fitting sweetly to my brain!
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

The Ants Invasion contiues.

Great review - would love to see the 'Dirk' set. My favourite Antics were the early stuff.

Cheers 8)
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Another excellent review. I've still got a copy of 'Dirk Wears White Sox' on vinyl in mint condition which hasn't been played for at least 30 years. Found it hard work at the time although I did like some of The Ants early singles. ' Young Parisians' b/w 'Lady' was one of the first "punk" records I bought in 1978 and quite a surprise as it was one of the most " un punk" sounding songs from that era. I loved it anyway and went on to acquire most of their releases up to and including the 2nd album and related singles.

After that Adam & The Ants became just too commercial for me, they were massive for a while weren't they? Anyhow, I lost interest and have never really re visited their music. However, reviews like this do inspire me to dig out the old stuff in my collection and/or take in a gig. Excellent work Mr In The Clouds and good luck with your rumoured solo album.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Somebody give me more warning of when he's next playing please then I won't get double booked with 101 Dalmatians.
No one can win against kipple.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Dirk was reissued on a superb white vinyl set last year packed with loads of posters, flyers etc. Well worth tracking down.

Expect Kings on Gold Vinyl from Sony this year and the current band to tour a Kings show.

New DVD will be available via website soon of the Dirk show in London last year.

Adam's last album, Adam Ant is the BlueBlack Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter is widely available but beware, it is a very patchy affair. It documents his last few years well - in that I mean that you can honestly where he has been in terms of mental health. It's not an easy listen and only parts of it show what brilliance the lad is capable of.

AA became an extremely mocked character post Kings album and possibly for good reason. But I would recommend people listen to the Wonderful album and Vive Le Rock. - produced by Tony Visconti - a real gem of an album. Friend or Foe isn't bad but avoid Strip and Manners and Physique as they are, essentially, utter shite!

His autobiography isn't bad but is a bit bland - well, medicated I suppose!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Another excellent review. I've still got a copy of 'Dirk Wears White Sox' on vinyl in mint condition which hasn't been played for at least 30 years. Found it hard work at the time although I did like some of The Ants early singles. ' Young Parisians' b/w 'Lady' was one of the first "punk" records I bought in 1978 and quite a surprise as it was one of the most " un punk" sounding songs from that era. I loved it anyway and went on to acquire most of their releases up to and including the 2nd album and related singles.

After that Adam & The Ants became just too commercial for me, they were massive for a while weren't they? Anyhow, I lost interest and have never really re visited their music. However, reviews like this do inspire me to dig out the old stuff in my collection and/or take in a gig. Excellent work Mr In The Clouds and good luck with your rumoured solo album.
Thank you Mr TBC Sir.
...mmm, the solo album...
Thank you very much
EiTC