The Damned

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Dorty
Down In The Sewer

The Damned

Post by Dorty »

I've bought two tickets to watch The Damned in Sunderland on Friday.....get the f*** in! :grin:
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Damned

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Seeing them @ Scotland Calling on Saturday, for the first time :shock:
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Dorty
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dorty »

Nice one Toiler <thumbs up>

I haven't seen them before either so I'm more than looking forward to the gig.....and a few pints beforehand.

I pretty much know their first three albums (as my older brother use to play them in his bedroom) - but when I was out walking the dog the other day, I listened to Damned Damned Damned for the first time in years....sheer class, what else can I say?

Same applies to Machine Gun Etiquette.

I'm not so well informed on their later stuff but will be catching up in the next few days :grin:
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

They are one of the best live bands ever IMO.
Been seeing then for years.

The last two albums, So Who's Paranoid and Grave Disorder are very solid albums.

Never understood why MFP got a kicking, everything up to when they signed for MCA is great. MGE and Black album especially.

Enjoy!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Dorty
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dorty »

Nice one Jet, you've just whetted my appetite even more! I paid a mere £32 for two tickets, my mate is coming with me. I took him to watch the Stranglers last month, how lucky is he?
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

jetblacksdad wrote:They are one of the best live bands ever IMO.
Been seeing then for years.
The last two albums, So Who's Paranoid and Grave Disorder are very solid albums.
Never understood why MFP got a kicking, everything up to when they signed for MCA is great. MGE and Black album especially.
Enjoy!
Agreed. I like some of the MCA period but prefer what came before AND what they've done since.
And that includes the much discussed 'I'm Alright Jack And The Beanstalk/Not Of This Earth' album which splits Damned fans right down the middle.
ManInBrown
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Rockula wrote: Agreed. I like some of the MCA period but prefer what came before AND what they've done since.
And that includes the much discussed 'I'm Alright Jack And The Beanstalk/Not Of This Earth' album which splits Damned fans right down the middle.
"I'm Alright Jack" is the only Damned album I can't get into. Although I enjoyed The Godfathers music with Kris Dollimore I just don't think his guitar style suited The Damned. Was he the John Ellis of The Damned? I also saw them live around this period (1994 if my memory serves me well), only Scabies and Vanian were there from the original line up. They ignored virtually all of their back catalogue at that point and concentrated on new material. Unfortunately I have to say that this was the worst Damned gig I've witnessed and I have been to numerous gigs of theirs since 1980. They just didn't really look or sound like The Damned and their choice of material completely silenced the audience and killed the atmosphere. Not summat you would expect at a Damned gig.

Fortunately, Sensibles' return to the band raised the bar again. I think the last 2 albums are up there with their best (almost). Live wise, I think they are one of the best nights out these days with one of their strongest line ups.
Anyway, on the subject of albums, I think 'Music For Pleasure' gets criminally under rated. Some great tracks on there and although it may not be as good as the debut album, it's not far off IMHO.
Long live The Damned!
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

With you TBC. Saw them at either Brixton or the Astoria when they had Dollimore on guitar and I just wanted to cry. I left that gig absolutely gutted. That line up really did them no favours.
In hindsight, the album is not THAT bad, but what came since is better.
The current drummer, Pinch is a really good replacement fro Scabies. He doesn't have the wreckless abandon that Scabies had, but he's solid. Probably technically better, but that ain't all is it?

Anyway, great they are still doing it. Have you seen teh prices that Damned Vinyl commands on eBay and the like? On the whole, a better investment than our boys here I can tell you!
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

jetblacksdad wrote:With you TBC. Saw them at either Brixton or the Astoria when they had Dollimore on guitar and I just wanted to cry. I left that gig absolutely gutted. That line up really did them no favours.
At the gig I referred to, following the main set, no one shouted for an encore! In fact one member of the audience climbed on stage, took the microphone and tried to get the crowd going but to no avail. He did however get the biggest round of applause on the night! Yes, the gig was that bad.......

Thankfully things have improved in the world of The Damned.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

They are playing Frome in June,not that far from me.May go? My favourite song is "History of The World".But at The Damned gigs I have been to,some meat head always seems to throw a can
of beer over Sensible,he storms off and Dave has to persuade him to return.Haven't seen them since Blackpool 2007.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Someone did that at Reading a year or so ago before a note was played.

You gotta lay some blame at the band for encouraging it back in the day. However, some people can't move on!

Sensible is very active on facebook and he's quite a hoot. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Captain- ... 0928413101

My band supported them a good while back, lovely fella had a very nice chat about SG guitars.
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

One of the best gigs I ever attended was The Damned at the old Penthouse ballroom above the Glasgow Apollo in December 1983. Fantastic night!! Haven't seen them live since 1994 but always a great live band. Might go to their gig in Edinburgh in September 8)
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"