Dead Kennedys @ Oxford 15th Aug

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

kincajou
Rats Rally

Dead Kennedys @ Oxford 15th Aug

Post by kincajou »

Saw them at Oxford Academy on Friday night, a gig in place of their cancelled Alt Fest appearance. Not full up but a decent crowd for a short notice gig, with plenty up for a good old mosh at the front!

Are the Dead Kennedys the Dead Kennedys without Jello Biafra? (hmm, where have we heard the missing lead singer debate before?!) On this showing, in Skip McSkipster you have someone who doesn't look like Biafra but has a similar stage presence, manic and getting up close with the crowd for them to sing choruses into the mic. He has a similar whiney voice.

I've seen the DKs a few times with & without Biafra and this was a pretty competent, but not outstanding gig. Too much chat & stop'n'start between and during some songs for me (probably to give Klaus Flouride a break every now & then, his health hasn't been great in recent years). D H Peligro's machine-gun drumming remains as powerful as it ever was and East Bay Ray's guitar playing was as fast & furious as required.

Most of the set derived from 'Fresh Fruit....' era of course but when you've got stonking classic punk songs such as Kill The Poor, California Uber Alles and Too Drunk To Fuck you can't complain. And in the encore the second finest punk song ever imo (after New Rose) in Holiday In Cambodia, which sent the crowd wild it was worth the admission price alone. I'm a bit old & fragile to join a full-scale pogo now but it's great fun to watch!

Well worth catching if you can (London Koko tonight) the DKs remain a potent live force.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Dead Kennedys @ Oxford 15th Aug

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Nice review.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Aye, nice one, enjoyed that. 8)
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack »

Never seen them,wish I had.Cheers.
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture
T.F.P.R.H.G
Rats Rally

Post by T.F.P.R.H.G »

nickinblack wrote:Never seen them,wish I had.Cheers.
they where superb live. bradys liverpool 1980
Saidagibb !
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Saw them in Manchester, very impressed.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop