Moderator: StanInBlack

MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

XSLF LIVE @ VOODOO BELFAST 12.07.14

Post by MULLY »

XSLF, WASTED TALENT, GOING FULL RETARD and STIFF LITTLE BUSKER
THE VOODOO BELFAST - 12.07.2014

Saturday night, ten o'clock in Belfast, the Twelfth of July - as usual at this time of year it is the City of the Dead. Few, if any, shops or pubs are open, the streets are devoid of traffic and the pavements devoid of people. As I walk along High Street I am reminded of the grand old days of yore (well '70s Belfast at least), when the city was a ghost town - the only city centre in Europe that shut down behind a ring of steel. Back then, as modern folklore tells us, it was the Punks who re-opened the city as they headed down to the Harp Bar. The metal gates may have been removed, but a tangible fear still pervades the city's subconscious following recent rioting post The March, and it is only the brave or foolish who would consider roaming the near-deserted streets.

And so, here I am, neither brave nor foolish (debateable? :wink:) but a veteran of a few old Hill Street crusades and as I cross the deserted road and turn into Fountain Street, I encounter a throng of punky revellers spilling out onto the precinct outside the venue - chatting, drinking and smoking. Of course, Mr Hooley is there, holding court, and as I approach he greets me with his usual joy de vivre, a handshake and "Did you enjoy The Stranglers' gigs?". After a quick chat I make my way upstairs - I am already a bit later than I had hoped and have unfortunately missed Aidan's Stiff Little Busker set, although I did manage a quick catch up with him later on in the night.

By the time I had paid on the door and purchased my first liquid refreshment of the evening - hard to beat lager in a plastic glass!! - Billy Riot's new combo Going Full Retard were preparing to take the stage. Dressed in white dinner jacket and flanked by guitar and double bass, Billy was as often on the dancefloor as he was writhing about onstage. The next half hour was a barrage of psycho-punkabilly outrage - starting of with a cover of 'Mongoloid' - a shambolic (but highly entertaining) set of forgotten song titles, a belligerent leather tie (lasting four songs before giving up the ghost) and a set-list consisting of fuck me
boots, necrophilia and Creole kings - ending with Jayne County's 'Fuck Off'. Elvis would be turning in his grave - but I think that was the whole point.

Next up were Wasted Talent playing their highly polished covers set - the usual classic punk song collection - note perfect, but we've all heard them before. Time for a wee breather - the venue was very hot - as I escaped outside for a chat, a chance to cool down and the obligatory cigarette. The need for a drink soon brought me back inside and as I was seated in the bar section, who should walk in.... none other that Ali McMordie. It was amusing to watch Henry, Jim and Ali chatting whilst being accosted for photos and autographs. Of course there were the usual liggeratzzi hanging around as the band played on.

Soon enough it was time for the headline act and XSLF took to the stage. I couldn't help wondering what the current SLF bass player thought of it all and would he be tempted, or even asked, to take the stage? Opening with 'Suspect Device' the band soon had the younger generation up pogoing and moshing in front. Thence followed a selection of inflammable material, greatest hits, and b-sides - something for everyone. Great versions of 'Tin Soldiers', 'Nobody's Hero' and even 'Running Bear' has the crowd air-punching and singing along. For 'Barbed Wire Love' (prequelled with a 'Summer Lovin' refrain), Henry asked Gary Fahy up to take the other mike for the doo-wop bit, but instead Tom (a Giant Haystacks mimi-me) stood in. Man, what a voice - pitch perfect. Towards the end of the set, the stage was invaded - invariably led by Danielle - and more and more kids clambered onstage for their time in the spotlight. Some just to dance, like the new-age raver ( :shock: what shit was he on?) and some to add their vocals at the mike. For the closing number Buck was heralded up to sing 'Alternative Ulster' - ably assisted by the assembled horde. And that was that

Ali never appeared on stage - I suppose under the strict Trades Description Act, he wasn't an ex-SLF paid up member. And so the night came to a close - the punks spilling out on their traditional route into a deserted Belfast, taking over the city once again. As Henry said - SLF have Saint Paddy's Night why don't XSLF have the Twelfth? Til next year then?
Attachments
10405800_748994671823523_1172144516_n.jpg
10405800_748994671823523_1172144516_n.jpg (179.73 KiB) Viewed 635 times
10500536_10152570263434803_9057685575862319861_n.jpg
10500536_10152570263434803_9057685575862319861_n.jpg (56.79 KiB) Viewed 635 times
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: XSLF LIVE @ VOODOO BELFAST 12.07.14

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Excellent review Mulster!
jaydee1964
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jaydee1964 »

Wonderful reading there my good man ..been a week (nearly) since hull and I'm still aching to get the gig review on here .weekendish

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Sounds good - Great stuff Mully enjoyable read - these guys have played in Leeds twice and both times I was out of the country - really looking forward to seeing them.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

A joy as ever! Just went to their site... interesting concept... how about XStranglers... Robert Williams, John Ellis, Paul Roberts...?
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
jaydee1964
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jaydee1964 »

Mmmm interesting proposition

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."