"The Black Album" By "The Damned" their Peak

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

"The Black Album" By "The Damned" their Peak

Post by Greatkudu »

I Haven't listened to The Damned for along time,so at the weekend I played "The Black album".IMHO this is their best album and also I think they peaked with this one.The album was very brave as it was experimental and moved on from their earlier sound.

What strikes me apart from the great songs and melodies Is Dave Vanian's voice,he never sounded so good IMHO.My favourite song is "History of the World",my favourite Damned song of all time.I played "Grave Disorder" from 2001 at weekend to but I'm afraid I found It very patchy.IMHO I think the Damned peaked with this album,still a great live band,although I haven't seen them since Blackpool 2007.But the "Black album" Is up their as one of my favourite non Stranglers albums.A fantastic piece of work.
Last edited by Greatkudu on 03 Feb 2014, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: "The Black Album" By "The Damned" their Peak

Post by theraven1979 »

It's a great album - Although for me, Strawberries trumps it. I read a good article online somewhere about The Damned recording the Black Album -sounded mental - The studio was haunted as well apparently.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Love the 'Black Album'. But preferred 'Machine Gun Etiquette'. And 'Strawberries' more than both of them.

But those three together would be my top three. Yes, you read it right, 'Damned Damned Damned' doesn't even make my top three... :lol:
ManInBrown
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Rockula wrote:Love the 'Black Album'. But preferred 'Machine Gun Etiquette'. And 'Strawberries' more than both of them.

But those three together would be my top three. Yes, you read it right, 'Damned Damned Damned' doesn't even make my top three... :lol:
Damned Damned Damned is overrated imo. Black Album is probably my favourite but agree Strawberries and Machine Gun Etiquette are well up there too. Tempted to say Phantasmagoria is my second favourite.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

Damned Damned Damned is right up there amongst the best punk albums by any group imo. I like Strawberries and Machine Gun Etiquette as well. The Black Album - not bad but I could do without. Plenty of good tracks but never got Curtain Call I'm afraid!
vanian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by vanian »

for me gotta be

MGE
Phantasmagoria
Black Album
Strawberries
Anything
Grave Disorder
So Whose Paranoid

the first two especially Music for Pleasure are really hit or miss ( :P ) for me so would rank at the bottom on my list
db63
Rats Rally

Post by db63 »

Machine gun etiquette is so raw and brilliant .
yesican
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by yesican »

Damned Damned Damned is fantastic , their best and one of the greatest albums ever. :grin:
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I like "The black album" its got some great songs on it always liked "Silly kids games" and "Livley arts", plus the fantastic "Thearpy" about Captain Sensible getting thrown out of The whiskey venue in LA for beeing too drunk and meeting a girl outside who goes throuh the story of having shock thearpy. He always gets livley when he talks about that on you tube clips. And also "dr jekyl and mr hyde"

My favourite Damned album though is "Strawberries" class album. The gig at the roundhouse in December has made me want to see them again they are playing with The Buzzcocks at an Alternative butlins weekender at the end of March. My Stranglers touring will be finished then they will be in Manchester for the final date of the tour i may go to Butlins.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

All their albums have been pretty good... Most of them have been excellent... Love Damned x3...
Thank you very much
EiTC
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

yesican wrote:Damned Damned Damned is fantastic , their best and one of the greatest albums ever. :grin:
Right on the money :smt023
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

This post has inspired me to listen to the album. I've recently started ripping albums to the pc and playing them through an external speaker, the pc speakers being
slightly better than buzzers. This album was one of the first ripped. I love the other albums mentioned too.
euromanc-ometh