"The Black Album" By "The Damned" their Peak

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: "The Black Album" By "The Damned" their Peak

Post by evonx »

My favourite album of theirs, its the Damneds Raven or Sgt Pepper or whatever. Excellent!
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Sinister
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sinister »

elvisintheclouds wrote:All their albums have been pretty good... Most of them have been excellent... Love Damned x3...
+1 8)
Whooo's there in the shadows
HOFT
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by HOFT »

Rockula wrote:Love the 'Black Album'. But preferred 'Machine Gun Etiquette'. And 'Strawberries' more than both of them.

But those three together would be my top three.

a whole lot of awesome b-sides came from the period of these 3 albums.
they were having fun.
May the flies of 1000 camels nest in your armpits !

If you want SYMPATHY ?..........
You will find it in the dictionary between ` SHIT & SYPHILIS ' !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re:

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote:My favourite album of theirs, its the Damneds Raven or Sgt Pepper or whatever. Excellent!
I agree it Is the Damneds Raven etc.An interesting bit of info about the recording was that Rat was playing one handed as he had a knackered hand so the cymbals and fills were over dubbed.Still sounds great,Rat was great In the Damned.
rattusrattus
Rats Rally

Post by rattusrattus »

theraven1979 wrote:It's a great album - Although for me, Strawberries trumps it. I read a good article online somewhere about The Damned recording the Black Album -sounded mental - The studio was haunted as well apparently.

Jim

I'll go with Jim on this, love the Black Album, but Strawberries dont have one duff track, I even had 'Stranger on the Town' played at our 25th Weddin Anni knees up as Vanians the wifes fave singer
DukeDexter
SHAKESPEARO

Post by DukeDexter »

Love Paul Gray's bass playing on The Black Album. They'd come a long way from those first 2 LPs.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

DukeDexter wrote:Love Paul Gray's bass playing on The Black Album. They'd come a long way from those first 2 LPs.
And he brought this to the band from Eddie & The Hot Rods...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlYCpzWQF7w
ManInBrown
DukeDexter
SHAKESPEARO

Post by DukeDexter »

Gray plays 'Therapy' - genius :smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h-Y0cjPJr0
hoopinblack
Rats Rally

Post by hoopinblack »

the black album is a fine piece of work but for me MGE is the best,1979 im 12 years old and the raven and MGE were released,probably the best two albums ever IMO.
Ratassed
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Ratassed »

I had this on vinyl on release [very late 1980] and it's mostly great, but as my original copy is furrowed to Death and I have never enjoyed downloading albums, [just too sterile] I only hear it on Spotify these days......better than nowt, but I haven't bought the CD as a lot of the Damneds' stuff from the Chiswick era is pretty pricey for some reason.......there's also a great compilation of their Chiswick '45s [A's and B's] which is required listening for conniseurs of this stuff: again it's always pricey, even online but looks like eventually I will shell out for these quality works, as they are key 'missing chasms' in my punk collective.

DAMNED DAMNED DAMNED is easily my favorite-ever punk album, although their back catalogue overall is more sprawling and inconsistent than the Stranglers' equivalent, I reckons.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I recentley bought "The Black album" remarsterd album as it has a bonus disc of bsides and rareaties. The Remasterd version of the album is great, recomend it to anyone. I also bought the remasterd version of "phanstasmorgria" which is also good but with the bonus disc and the album version feature the same songs too many times would be my only critism of it. How many times do you need to hear "grimley fineish" on one album?
davidcassell
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by davidcassell »

hoopinblack wrote:the black album is a fine piece of work but for me MGE is the best,1979 im 12 years old and the raven and MGE were released,probably the best two albums ever IMO.
Yes I'm with you, totally agree. But then so do 100's of others on here (probably). It was a magical era!