Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Damned at the roundhouse tonight

Post by pigeon »

Great review Elvis

I arrived at the venue the roundhouse, famous for that of the meninblack themselves but themselves were not appearing tonight, it felt a little bit odd beeing inside the venue knowing that the only previous 3 times i have been to the venue was to see them. I thought they owned it but they occassionally let other people play on their stage. However tonight was a first for me of seeing Punk legends Ruts DC. The 50 minute set was mixed with your punk classics such as "Babalyons burning", "in a rut" & "Jah wars" with the set mixed with their regaee style of songs (which i must admit im am not really into) & the ruts version of it hasent done anything to turn me onto regaee. But the other one they did that i know of was "Staring at the rude boys". The reggaee style songs was one about heroin and another about wrongfull arrest. A bonus song we apparentley got tonight was a song called "society" i had never heard it before but it was ok. I enjoyed the songs i knew and everybody knows "babalyons burning and in a rut" at the end.

Up next was Theatre of hate and i no absouloutley nothing about them,they diddnt really do anything for me as you couldnt hear anything. But the crowd enjoyed them

I'll have to agree out of the 3 gigs and 3 songs from the Damned i have to say this has been the best time i have seen them. No more coming on at Silly hours like they did at the London Astoria on the "Machine gun ettiquette" reissue tour in 2007 and the sound sounding awfull. No this was a slick and professional performance in celebration of the day "Friday the 13th". Opening with "Sanctum sanctorium" from 1987s "Phantasmorgria" which is a very brave way to start a gig & into "Don't cry wolf" which was brilliant. As sir elvis says the first three songs from each of their best works were played with the first of the lot was from 1980s "Black album" 'Wait for the blackout", "Iivley arts" and "Silly kids games" , we were also treated to "2 for one dr jekel and mr hyde" also one of my favourite singles of theirs "The history of the world". Next up my most favourite part of the evening the fantastic "strawberries" for ignite we were orderd for some auidence partisipation from the captain of "ignite" who said "See if you can do better than leeds last night". I thought just beeing in london would do that myself :?, "generals" and my all time favourite Damned single "Stranger on the town" best song of the night.

Now we all like a good old rant and the Captain is no different in calling everyone he doesnt like a CNUT!!. Cliff richard took most of the flack. so now its time for "Machine gun ettiquette" part of the set "Love song", "Plan 9 channel 7" and dave decidcates "I just can't be happy today" to Morrissey saying hes a laugh a minute. The hit parade of "New rose", and "neat neat neat" obviosuly followed before it was time for the scheduled encores.

After a while of standing on the rail a certain mr dave Vanian appears infront of myself and mr Elvis he says to us "god its a bloody hot one tonight isnt it?" of which i am just staring at him but mr elvis is cool enough to shake hes hand and off he goes back onstage to deliver the encores. "Curtain calling" thanfully not all 21 minutes "jet boy jet girl" of it then another one of my highlights "ANTIPOPE" it was awesome. The show finished of with "Smash it up". Before "Smash it up" someone through a mask of Cliff richard up onstage and he put it in his pants saying 'He might like it down there". It was a great setlist if the stranglers manage to pull something off like this in march ill be very happy. I wont be waiting 5 years to see my fourth damned gig. A great night out.
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

A very good review Pidge, did they do Nasty or Disco Man?
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

A great set of reviews. Thanks.
No one can win against kipple.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Alexinblack wrote:A very good review Pidge, did they do Nasty or Disco Man?
No not this time alex they diddnt. I dont think they have all tour.
martininblack6363
Down In The Sewer

Post by martininblack6363 »

Sounds like it was a great night!!!! Long live the Damned!!!
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Great review Pidge, top night :grin:
Thank you very much
EiTC
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

elvisintheclouds wrote:Great review Pidge, top night :grin:
That feeling when ones holiday draws to a close and its back to reality until i decided to take another week off. Anti climax set as i got of the train at grove park station at 12.30 with a couple of druken youfs wanting to know were shirly in croydon is. Theyve never heard of the damned but the artic monkeys are mega felt like giving them a clip round the ear them wipper snappers. Great way to end the holiday though.
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

Great reviews! Put my earlier one in the shade :grin:

Dare I say they were on better form than the Stranglers if you take both bands' most recent tours into consideration?!
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

As ive not seen a full damned gig for 5 years i cant really comment. The last one was so dreadfull put me off seeing them forever,only the recent reviewss made me want to go and see them again
Stranglers on top form at the roundhouse this march was a much better gig in my opinion and we got bitching that night. The damned are a bit like public image ltd in two minds of going to see them.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

As ive not seen a full damned gig for 5 years i cant really comment. The last one was so dreadfull put me off seeing them forever,only the recent reviewss made me want to go and see them again
Stranglers on top form at the roundhouse this march was a much better gig in my opinion and we got bitching that night. The damned are a bit like public image ltd in two minds of going to see them.
ceebs
Rats Rally

Post by ceebs »

Good reviews, thanks! Seems like they`ve been consistently good on this tour? Im gutted we didnt get Curtain Call though!
No dreams go in, no dreams go out, of the hole in his wrinkled head.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Top review ;-)
Something better change!