Re: Just when I thought my day could't get any worse

Post by Alexinblack »

Ah no.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

''...Collins last played with Genesis in 2007 and last played live in 2010. He has now said that his younger children are encouraging his return to performing....''

So, even his kids can't stand him and want him out of the house.

:lol:
ManInBrown
Sinister
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sinister »

Aw a bit harsh, Genesis have done some great stuff imo.
Whooo's there in the shadows
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

There's worse bands than them, that's the scary bit.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Sinister wrote:Aw a bit harsh, Genesis have done some great stuff imo.
Never appreciated Genesis when I was growing up, but they've had a few goodies that I liked in the late 70's/early 80's, but not a patch on Marillion!
porkymeat

Post by porkymeat »

Hammersmith1982 wrote:
Never appreciated Genesis when I was growing up, but they've had a few goodies that I liked in the late 70's/early 80's, but not a patch on Marillion!
"I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

porkymeat wrote:
Hammersmith1982 wrote:
"I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."
:smt023 :smt023 Your driving me crazy
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Awful man. Awful band. Awful news.
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

I liked their early stuff with Peter Gabriel (Trespass, Foxtrot and Selling England By The Pound) but can't be arsed with most of the Collins era with him at the helm (except possibly the albums 'A Trick Of The Tail and 'Duke'). :|
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
Sinister

Post by Sinister »

They wrote some great tracks during the Gabriel period and although I've never seen them live, they were renowned for putting on a great live show.
Whooo's there in the shadows
jaydee1964

Post by jaydee1964 »

Don't have any of their albums but iv got the greatest hits ...dont mind them to be honest.. its the keyboard led ..quirky guitar figures that do it for me ..so long as they don't get too commercial( I hate invisible touch) then I quite like them ...abacab , that's all, turn it on,mama are all my favourites

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."