Wilko at Koko Sun 13th Oct Review

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Wilko at Koko Sun 13th Oct Review

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Wilko Johnson Live at Koko Camden Sun 13th Oct 2013.

So we finally got the time machine back up and running using the starting crank from a Morris Minor 1000. Having set the controls for the 1970s, we experienced some sub-space interference which led us to an alternate present day/1970s mix-up.

Landing in North London, we headed to the Music Machine in Camden High Street in search of musical enlightenment. Once there we discovered a venue by the name of Koko. Undeterred we ventured inside. My companion for this evening was Mr C (a friend of old), we had not seen each other for these last two decades, despite the advent of time travel. So it was interesting to hear from Mr C’s perspective that: ‘when I used to go to these gigs in my 20s the audience were all in their 20s! Now I’m in my 50s and the audience are all in their 50s!’ (Speak for yourself, I thought, although….). A fair observation!

Unfortunately, thanks to the sub-space interference, we missed the first act ‘The 45s’. Who by all reports were very good! We did, however, arrive in time for the second support act ‘Eight Rounds Rapid’ who were very entertaining, their guitar player appearing to be a remarkable evolution of Wilko himself, in terms of playing style/technique and stage presence. They treated us to a decent set with their modern interpretation of hard-edged R&B.

In no time at all, Wilko arrived on stage to a rapturous reception (The venue was packed out). Kicking off with an energetic ‘All Through The City’, Wilko, Norman and Dylan were completely on top of their game and up for it. We had a good vantage point at the front in the centre. From where we had a good ol’ boogie along with a select section of the audience, including the Japanese fan club. Although, it should be noted that many other were stood still like statues… most odd… maybe something to do with the sub-space!

The set was rocking, including ‘She does It Right’, ‘Sneaking Suspicion’, ‘Don’t Let Your Daddy Know’, and ‘Roxette’ to name a few. The sound was pretty decent for most of the set, although at times the bass was getting lost a little (quite common at live shows but you really don’t want this happening with a player like Norman Watt-Roy… You really need to savour his every note!) And the bass drum was strangely overpowering at times. Mr C commented that Wilkos guitar could’ve been a nudge higher in the mix. But really these points are being relayed just to convey the facts rather than being a criticism, because it was full on rockin’ awesome in there last night! Fucking Brilliant, in fact!

Sometimes you forget it’s a 3 piece making this glorious sound. Wilko was full of energy and using all of his stage moves from shuffle to machine gun to duck-walk and back again, superb! The dynamics between the band were superb with lots of light and shade. In the quieter passages the sound was excellent showcasing the virtuoso talents of the whole trio.

Wilko had the whole stage covered with his signature psychotic style, making love to the guitar and even playing it behind his head. Drummer Dylan was cool and rock-solid throughout. While Norman was in the zone (where, it must be said, he appears to permanently reside!).

In a trice, we were at the end and they kicked in to ‘Bye Bye Johnny’ with all that that implies! Emotive stuff! Wilko conducted the audience for a full sing-along of the chorus. Then they took it down a notch allowing Norman to stretch his legs, amazing! A super drum solo from Dylan and another couple of strong choruses and they were gone…

They treated us to two encores before turning us back out into the night… Bittersweet!
Thank you very much
EiTC
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Wilko at Koko Sun 13th Oct Review

Post by Alexinblack »

Great review mate thanks for posting.
bill
Rats Rally

Post by bill »

Thanks - glad you had a good time.

Didn't go because I just knew I'd make a total tit of myself ( :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 etc)
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Great to see he's still able to rock on.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Agree it was a great night, Monitors went Bang during Sneaking Suspicion and they played the second half of the gig without, not that it noticed. I didn't have the trouble hearing Norman from where I was, so it might have been a room acoustics issue.
Great set, only one number I didn't know. Tracks I can remember where:
All Through The City
Roxette
Don't Let Your Daddy Know
Back in The Night
Going Back Home
Dr Dupree
Sneakin Suspicion
She Does It Right
Paradise
Bye Bye Johnny
20 Yards Behind
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Good review, sounded a great night.
Good to see Wilko has come to terms with his illness and can crack a joke about it. re. the link.
euromanc-ometh
straightenout
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by straightenout »

The guitar player in Eight Rounds Rapid is Wilko's son :)
I don't mean Rough Looking
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Lovely review, shame I couldn't make this one Elvis. Norman should never be held back!
No one can win against kipple.
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Seen some great pictures of this gig from Facebook .
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

elvisintheclouds wrote:
We did, however, arrive in time for the second support act ‘Eight Rounds Rapid’ who were very entertaining, their guitar player appearing to be a remarkable evolution of Wilko himself, in terms of playing style/technique and stage presence.

Wilko's son.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop