The Filth and The Fury
Oil City Confidential

Jez 8)
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
WMT
Down In The Sewer

Re: Best music film you have seen

Post by WMT »

Shellshock Rock - a film about the early days of punk rock in NI.
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

Dom P wrote:Dig!

Amazing doc about the Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols... incredible true story and filmed as it happened... about two best friends in a band who split.. one becomes a multi-millionaire, the other plods along in relative obscurity....
Must check this out I heard this was great and forgot all about it.
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

WMT wrote:Shellshock Rock - a film about the early days of punk rock in NI.
Bet thats really good.
fourth horseman
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by fourth horseman »

I enjoyed "Sex & Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll" - Quite hard hitting

Never really taken much notice of Queen, but I was interested to read somewhere recently that Sacha Baron Cohen was set play Freddie Mercury in a biopic but pulled out of the project because he wanted the film to be more tell all and and true to the salacious life Mercury lead whilst the remaining members of Queen wanted it to be more family friendly. Presumably because they wanted to make some more money by making the film more available to a wider audience.

It makes you wonder how many films could have been made about bands and artist but didn't even get the tape rolling because of differences like this. I'd wager if in anyone tried ever making a Stranglers film it wouldn't get very far because all past and present members wouldn't be able to agree on the films direction etc
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I remember seeing 'The Doors' film with I-forget-who as Jim and Meg Ryan as someone, and I didn't really rate it even though I quite like their music. Around the same time there was a 2-part biopic of the Beach Boys (whose music I don't like, really) which was much better.

I know I will regret posting this sooner or later (probably sooner), but if you want a good tour documentary film, well-made because of big budget, you can do worse than the Kylie one from a few years ago. Not that much music in it, but a good watch. And the fairly recent Genesis one was pretty good, covering them getting back together for the tour, rehearsing and so on. As you can see I'm more bothered about how interesting they are than whether the artist is going to make me look cool, or even whether I particularly like the music.

I've seen most of 'Some kind of Monster', the Metallica film, and again it's pretty well made and reasonably interesting, though I'm not sure I could watch it all in one go. I'm just getting through the last hour of 'Mission to Lars' from the other night, which is altogether different but reasonably interesting, the true story of a man with Fragile-X autism who's been obsessed with meeting Lars Ulrich for ten years, and his families self-made film describing how they take him to the US to meet him. More interesting than it sounds.

Slade in Flame was pretty good, Control was OK but hard to watch. Usually I record these things off the TV and then watch them in gaps between other programmes, so it works out quite well as I find it quite difficult to watch a film-length piece in one sitting unless I'm in the cinema. I've got a list of things still to watch - Oil City Confidential is one, I recorded it then ran out of space on the hard disk so I had to transfer to DVD and that always relegates it to 'watch later'. I picked up the David Bowie 'Ziggy Stardust - The Motion Picture' last year and haven't watched that yet, and the other film was on a few weeks back, though that's less of a music film than a film starring a musician.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Oh, and the two recent Iron Maiden tour documentaries - one about the band, the other about the road crew and how the gigs are put on, equipment moved and so on. I find that kind of thing quite fascinating.

We've had a few 'double bill' evenings like this recently, with a documentary followed by a gig, would make a great one if the David Boni film ever sees the light of day to show that followed by a gig DVD.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

I differentiate between...

1. MUSIC DOCUMENTARIES

Filth & The Fury
Punk Attitude
SHELLSHOCK ROCK
Oil City Confidential
Part 1 of The Eagles - surprising how much of their music I knew, but amazing behind the scenes stories (third encore was the hotel rooms after!!)
Upside Down

2. MUSIC FILMS

24 Hour party People
GOOD VIBRATIONS
Control
Stardust(?) - the Davis Essex rise to fame one
Quadrophenia
Jubilee

3. LIVE

Monterey Pop - Hendrix & Who are unbelieveable.
RATTUS at the ROUNDHOUSE - like the extras with the power outtage.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I've taped the two ' story of the Eagles' programmes that were on a few weeks ago, but not got around to watching them yet. There was a pretty good one about Jeff Lynne as well.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Apart from documentaries I'd say my favourite movies ABOUT music or based around music would be

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgwFGfKENk8

American Graffiti.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBI0p5OGlDw

Get Crazy (with Malcolm McDowell as 'Reggie Wanker')
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjy3rr7J_yQ
ManInBrown
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I really like "Mission to Lars" ive seen it 6 times so far.

And the best music film has yet to be released

THROUGH THE NEVER!!!.