Killing Joke - review

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Killing Joke - review

Post by RetroRocket »

Hi All, just a quick review of Killing Joke at the Kentish Town Forum last night.

This was only the second time I've seen the Joke, the last time was at the Royal Festival Hall..which to be honest I didn't really enjoy...wrong kind of venue for them I thought. So I was keen to see them in a smaller place.

Well, it was rammed full, a sell out I guess. A really interesting age and gender range....from mid 20's to 50+. Not casual punters either....folk that really knew the band's material.

What can I say! Well, I'm now part of the gathering! Intense, heartfelt, loud, tight, sincere...I danced to every number (even ventured to the periphery of the mos!). This was a true emotional experience...the way that the very best gigs are.

I won't list (I cant yet remember!) every song played, or in the right order, but, Requiem, Wardance, Sun Goes Down (especially brilliant), European Super State, Pandemonium, White Out, Beautiful Dead, Money is not our God (again...blistering), Follow the Leader (introduced by Youth as Disco Time), Eighties, Change. The rest will come back to me.

The band were on blistering form...I even forgive Youth his dodgy attire (what is it with the sun visor?).

I'm so glad I've now seen them properly...breathtaking! I now 'get the Joke'!

RR
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Killing Joke - review

Post by jason »

Thank for that. I must get around to seeing them one day.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

And they ended with a fabulous Psyche with the whole standing area moshing........

Brilliant
Claireinblack
kent
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Claireinblack wrote:And they ended with a fabulous Psyche with the whole standing area moshing........

Brilliant
Look at the controller?
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rodney Blackstaff »

A great set and a truly stunning and energetic performance!
Sound was brilliant and only enhanced the intensity of the gig!
The Joke are a force to be reckoned with!
I see your outstretched hand through the closing door
But it's a far better thing I do than I have done before
CFCstrangler93
Down In The Sewer

Post by CFCstrangler93 »

Awesome gig :grin: ...good to see a few Stranglers shirts their too
Save up and get my very own SLR
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Thanks for the review mate.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

No stranglers for me on this tour, was at the Joke last night however and it was a fine gig, one of the best I've seen. I've heard complaints about the sound, I was on the balcony and the guitar was crystal clear, keys and bass less so, vocals and drums fine, in fact for me this was really Geordie's gig, his playing was the best I've seen, or heard rather, hardly surprising Geordie Walker is THE best guitar player ever in my opinion, he never needs to pose with wanky solos, his noise is unique, he reminds me of a steel worker with an industrial instrument, totally unique presence as well as sound. My only complaint about the gigs sound was that it just wasn't loud enough until the very end, and the band seemed a little bit slower than they are capable of. Great set though, I kind of knew what to expect, no massive surprises, though was great to hear 'beautiful dead' as I didn't really expect that, it was a singles dominated set with only a few songs from the last two which was fair enough as a one off. Jaz made some decent comments about child poverty in the UK, he always gives food for thought and people can say what they want but I think the guy has a genuine sense of support for social justice. The really striking thing was the camaraderie on stage, Jaz said something about their first ever gig happening almost exactly 34 years to the day and how 'these guys are my best friends', Jaz came over more as teddy bear than psycho last night, and still pulled off a great performance. Top gig, great set, Killing Joke are fucking amazing ;)
Last edited by Jake on 17 Mar 2013, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Great posts folks.
CFCstrangler93
Down In The Sewer

Post by CFCstrangler93 »

Jake wrote:No stranglers for me on this tour, was at the Joke last night however and it was a fine gig, one of the best I've seen. I've heard complaints about the sound, I was on the balcony and the guitar was crystal clear, keys and bass less so, vocals and drums fine, in fact for me this was really Geordie's gig, his playing was the best I've seen, or heard rather, hardly surprising Geordie Walker is THE best guitar player ever in my opinion, he never needs to pose with wanky solos, his noise is unique, he reminds me of a steel worker with an industrial instrument, totally unique presence as well as sound. My only complaint about the gigs sound was that it just wasn't loud enough until the very end, and the band seemed a little bit slower than they are capable of. Great set though, I kind of knew what to expect, no massive surprises, though was great to hear 'beautiful dead' as I didn't really expect that, it was a singles dominated set with only a few songs from the last two which was fair enough as a one off. Jaz made some decent comments about child poverty in the UK, he always gives food for thought and people can say what they want but I think the guy has a genuine sense of support for social justice. The really striking thing was the camaraderie on stage, Jaz said something about their first ever gig happening almost exactly 34 years to the day and how 'these guys are my best friends', Jaz came over more as teddy bear than psycho last night, and still pulled off a great performance. Top gig, great set, Killing Joke are fucking amazing ;)
Agree completely about Geordie, his guitar playing last night had me fixated...spot on with the rest of the review as well.
Save up and get my very own SLR
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

CFCstrangler93 wrote:Agree completely about Geordie, his guitar playing last night had me fixated...spot on with the rest of the review as well.

Cheers mate, looks like everyone had a good un last night. It's great how Killing Joke have big personalities and survived, Walker and Coleman have always been there, even though relationships have flared up, and Youth and Big Paul both having left, but they managed to make it up, and genuinely seem like good friends. There were quite a few points last night where Jaz, Geordie and Youth were all close up to each other rocking out on stage, great to watch. What an exit Geordie made last night last night as well, literally the last man standing. If you listen to the recording of 'Asteroid' from Down by the River two years ago his guitar sounded all over the place, no such problems last night. I am guessing a lot of it comes down to what Geordie's hearing on the monitors, or how pissed and stoned he might be ;) It's a bit of an oldie and been discussed on this forum before but a cracking interview with Geordie walker on youtube dunno if you seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuEuvIaQnL4
Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Hammer »

Agree with pretty much everything said on this thread. :smile:

Great venue for KJ, rammed and up for it. Although I would have liked them to have turned it up to 11!

A couple of things. I'm done with Love Like Blood, Eighties and Requiem, I know they're crowd pleasers, but every tour?

It was great to hear, Beautiful Dead, Chop-Chop and Empire Song!

Also I haven't a clue what Big Paul was doing on The Wait, very strange drumming.

That said it was a cracking gig, there were two women near me in their mid-twenties who knew everything and clearly had a great time. Nice to see they are still attracting the younger element.
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.