Public Service Broadcasting 10th March 2013 - Wakefield

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Public Service Broadcasting 10th March 2013 - Wakefield

Post by theraven1979 »

Still in recovery mode from the previous night's Stranglers gig but keeping a promise to Lammy we made our way to Wakey. I'd decided to drive. Drink wasn't really high on my agenda (see night before!).

Arriving just in time to catch the end of support band "The Watches" (I think they were called that - spelt with a triangle on the A like all the cool kids are doing at the mo) lead singer tearing up the stage - Lots of passion - pretty good actually.

It wasn't too long before a laptop appeared on stage, along with a theremin, banjo, rickenbacker, drum kit and various other bits and pieces of technology. I'll be honest this was Lammy's decision and I'd only heard the one song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4Md_aXVJE) I'd likened them to Big Audio Dynamite. I was to be pleasantly surprised. Two blokes walk on stage looking geekier than some of the people I work with. Lead singer/guitarist/banjo/thermin/laptop extrodanaire was resplendant in full 3 piece suit with dicky bow whilst even the drummer was wearing a tie.

No dialogue, they start up the samples "Hello, we've always wanted to play in......<Wakefield>" much laughter. Then the drummer kicks in, the guitar loops and other bits are fired off on the laptop complete with WWII voiceovers whilst the "lead singer"? gets busy with the banjo. It shouldn't work but it just does. All very nice indeed, we're taken on a real journey. Even when the band have problems onstage they fire off a sample "Sorry there has been a technical problem, please standby" :shock: roadie appears from back of venue and sorts things out. After each song and applause we're treated to "Thank you very much" samples.

We have about an hour and it's all over, band walk off stage to the sound of "Last Of The Summer Wine" - very funny chaps!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Public Service Broadcasting 10th March 2013 - Wakefield

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

theraven1979 wrote:I'd only heard the one song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4Md_aXVJE) Jim
I concur.
Sounds good, will neeed to look into it when I reach dry land.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

I have the CD.

CD Description (NICKED OFF AMAZON)

Granted unique access to propaganda films from WWII-era Britain by the BFI and setting them to new music, Public Service Broadcasting unveil The War Room . Expect breathtaking visuals, brooding synths and pounding drums as J. Willgoose, Esq and his drumming companion Wrigglesworth teach the lessons of the past through the music of the future. The first single from the mini album, Spitfire, received rave reviews and became a permanent fixture on BBC 6Music over May & June. It won the public vote for the Rebel Playlist before spending 5 weeks on the main daytime playlist, as well as being awarded Artrocker's Single of the Month. The second single London Can Take It is unveiled this August. The title, visuals & samples for the Blitz-based banjo belter come from a film of the same name, filed by American correspondent Quentin Reynolds. The film was shown to audiences in the USA in order to shore up support for Britain and its allies. As the eye of the world is trained on London for the 2012 Olympic Games, this track reminds us of a time when the public had to endure more trying times than Olympic traffic lanes and a disrupted commute. The War Room is dedicated to J. Willgoose, Esq.'s great-uncle, George Willgoose, who died at the Battle of Dunkirk in 1940 aged 26.
ManInBrown
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah a couple of tracks went on a bit but on the whole it was very enjoyable. I recommend checking them live if you get chance. Very talented.

Jim
fourth horseman
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by fourth horseman »

Been checking these out on youtube, going to try and get down to their gig in Bolton on Wednesday
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

theraven1979 wrote:Still in recovery mode from the previous night's Stranglers gig but keeping a promise to Lammy we made our way to Wakey. I'd decided to drive. Drink wasn't really high on my agenda (see night before!).

Arriving just in time to catch the end of support band "The Watches" (I think they were called that - spelt with a triangle on the A like all the cool kids are doing at the mo) lead singer tearing up the stage - Lots of passion - pretty good actually.

It wasn't too long before a laptop appeared on stage, along with a theremin, banjo, rickenbacker, drum kit and various other bits and pieces of technology. I'll be honest this was Lammy's decision and I'd only heard the one song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4Md_aXVJE) I'd likened them to Big Audio Dynamite. I was to be pleasantly surprised. Two blokes walk on stage looking geekier than some of the people I work with. Lead singer/guitarist/banjo/thermin/laptop extrodanaire was resplendant in full 3 piece suit with dicky bow whilst even the drummer was wearing a tie.

No dialogue, they start up the samples "Hello, we've always wanted to play in......<Wakefield>" much laughter. Then the drummer kicks in, the guitar loops and other bits are fired off on the laptop complete with WWII voiceovers whilst the "lead singer"? gets busy with the banjo. It shouldn't work but it just does. All very nice indeed, we're taken on a real journey. Even when the band have problems onstage they fire off a sample "Sorry there has been a technical problem, please standby" :shock: roadie appears from back of venue and sorts things out. After each song and applause we're treated to "Thank you very much" samples.

We have about an hour and it's all over, band walk off stage to the sound of "Last Of The Summer Wine" - very funny chaps!

Jim
Are you sure it wasn't Radiohead?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Coming to a venue near you soon.
http://publicservicebroadcasting.net/IEE.php
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Well worth the effort Johnny boy!

Jim
fourth horseman wrote:Been checking these out on youtube, going to try and get down to their gig in Bolton on Wednesday
scotticusnorvegicus
Rats Rally

Post by scotticusnorvegicus »

I've posted about these guys before on another thread. This is their latest single I heard yesterday on Radio Scotland. Bit heavier than their normal but still good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quFOoUT08c
We are very excited to be here in A ------me----ri--- ca.
cassydale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by cassydale »

Good tune,Will check out their other stuff later.

Thanks for the links guys
:smile:
John.H.

I Should Have Wrapped You Up And Kept You Safe,Instead I Turned My Back On You.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 469&type=1 Some photies from Sunday (not mine)

Jim
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

Looking forward to the album. Have taken a listen to a few of the songs on Youtube (after various people highlighting them) and have liked what I've heard!
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!