Moderator: StanInBlack

Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Re: XTC... Waxworks/Beeswax... Result!

Post by Rockula »

jason wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:
jason wrote:I've just ordered White Music on Amazon for under two quid!
Result, fella... great album... enjoy!
Burn e 77
It's second hand but I'm sure it will be fine. 8)
Here's some demos from 1976 before White Music that never made the album cut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JOwnPa2FUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZt_EQi-x4

I've got a semi-bootleg album (Schoolguide to Xtc) that has demos from 1972-1974 but unless you're an obsessive (like me) I'd give that one a miss.
ManInBrown
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Rockula wrote:
Here's some demos from 1976 before White Music that never made the album cut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JOwnPa2FUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZt_EQi-x4

I've got a semi-bootleg album (Schoolguide to Xtc) that has demos from 1972-1974 but unless you're an obsessive (like me) I'd give that one a miss.
Wow, thanks for those links "Rockula" that's great!
Burn e 77
Something better change!
fourth horseman
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by fourth horseman »

It's too easy to compare them to the Stranglers, but there's a reason for that. They started off full of raw energy which featured heavy and dirty bass with some Doors-esque keyboard tones, then they moved to a more melodic and polished sound as the 70's ended and the 80's began. Obviously, this had different outcomes for both bands: XTC's music and maybe their relationships with one another (probably more to do with not being on the road with each other as long as The Stranglers) benefited moving into this style whereas The Stranglers, most will agree went down hill (although early XTC and later Stranglers MK1 still made brilliant music) due to the more accessible music and this played a part in things between Hugh and JJ becoming complicated

I think XTC peaked (or at least my favourites are albums) between Drums and Wires and Mummer. I can't think of much to add or take away from those four albums and I'll always find myself leaning heavily towards them when I go to listen to XTC. I'll dip in to Skylarking, Oranges & Lemons and the two Apple Venus albums also, because they're all brilliant records in their own right.

Has anyone seen XTC at the manner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MllXtIcq0)? Brilliant insight into my brilliant period of the band. I always wished The Stranglers had done something like this when making The Raven or Meninblack
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The XTC at The Manor footage was a staged "re-recording" set up for the cameras, and nothing was put out from that session. The version of 'Towers Of London' that we all know (and indeed, the rest of 'Black Sea') was recorded much much earlier at The Townhouse. Hugh Padgham engineered 'Black Sea', and he isn't in The Manor footage.
fourth horseman

Post by fourth horseman »

Yeah it's still cool though :wink:
Shove it up yer bollocks then!
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote:The XTC at The Manor footage was a staged "re-recording" set up for the cameras, and nothing was put out from that session. The version of 'Towers Of London' that we all know (and indeed, the rest of 'Black Sea') was recorded much much earlier at The Townhouse. Hugh Padgham engineered 'Black Sea', and he isn't in The Manor footage.

Think it mentions this in Chris' Bio. Like The Stranglers, I remember how big there were in the late 70s, early 80s...it was artistic suicide to stop touring. One of the great English bands.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

StanInBlack

What a great summary of the band.
They just lost it towards the end. Who releases an album called All Live And All Of The Night, with a studio recording to end it?

Likewise, for Mk 2, calling a song "Miss You" on consecutive albums.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

fourth horseman wrote:It's too easy to compare them to the Stranglers, but there's a reason for that. They started off full of raw energy which featured heavy and dirty bass with some Doors-esque keyboard tones, then they moved to a more melodic and polished sound as the 70's ended and the 80's began. Obviously, this had different outcomes for both bands: XTC's music and maybe their relationships with one another (probably more to do with not being on the road with each other as long as The Stranglers) benefited moving into this style whereas The Stranglers, most will agree went down hill (although early XTC and later Stranglers MK1 still made brilliant music) due to the more accessible music and this played a part in things between Hugh and JJ becoming complicated

I think XTC peaked (or at least my favourites are albums) between Drums and Wires and Mummer. I can't think of much to add or take away from those four albums and I'll always find myself leaning heavily towards them when I go to listen to XTC. I'll dip in to Skylarking, Oranges & Lemons and the two Apple Venus albums also, because they're all brilliant records in their own right.

Has anyone seen XTC at the manner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MllXtIcq0)? Brilliant insight into my brilliant period of the band. I always wished The Stranglers had done something like this when making The Raven or Meninblack
Johnny, Thanks for the "Manor House" YouTube links... not seen these before, so it's very interesting for me to witness their creative process and the bands humour... I agree with your post by the way fella.
cheers
Burn e 77
Something better change!