"Frank Sinatra"

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

"Frank Sinatra"

Post by Greatkudu »

I must be getting old,watched an old arena episode the other night about "Old Blue Eyes".I was blown away by how good he was.A fantastic voice and possibly one of the best interpreters of a song that there has ever been.He wasn't a guy to upset either.
Drummerboy
Down In The Sewer

Re: "Frank Sinatra"

Post by Drummerboy »

well you say that I thought Paul Roberts was slightly better in his interpretation of the songs and a better voice. Might have changed my mind if old Frank could have let us listen to his version of no more heroes :lol:
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

I'm clearly not enough of a hardcore Stranglers fan, I recently (re)discovered that Paul AND Hugh have appeared as Frank Sinatra. I haven't seen Hugh's portrayal though. And in all honesty, forget about what you think of Paul as our band's frontman, when I saw him sing as Sinatra, he was fecking superb.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Bobinblack wrote:I'm clearly not enough of a hardcore Stranglers fan, I recently (re)discovered that Paul AND Hugh have appeared as Frank Sinatra. I haven't seen Hugh's portrayal though. And in all honesty, forget about what you think of Paul as our band's frontman, when I saw him sing as Sinatra, he was fecking superb.

Paul is an amazing singer
Claireinblack
kent
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Claireinblack wrote:
Bobinblack wrote:I'm clearly not enough of a hardcore Stranglers fan, I recently (re)discovered that Paul AND Hugh have appeared as Frank Sinatra. I haven't seen Hugh's portrayal though. And in all honesty, forget about what you think of Paul as our band's frontman, when I saw him sing as Sinatra, he was fecking superb.

Defo, got a set of pipes on him that one! I once took my dad to see mkII and he said they're really good but the singer should be in a swing band 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

elvisintheclouds wrote:
Claireinblack wrote:

Defo, got a set of pipes on him that one! I once took my dad to see mkII and he said they're really good but the singer should be in a swing band 8)
Should be an agent or a fortune teller :grin:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I remember once, it was a long time ago...it might have been in the NME or melody maker paper, not quite sure now ....but there was a little quote titled something like "Stranglers like Sinatra" with Hugh saying something like "...because we've mellowed we'll go on forever...just like Sinatra...."
I Hate You !
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

When Bing Crosby crooned in his laid back style, he knocked spots off Sinatra's singing... just check out: "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" when both Crosby and Sinatra vocally spar with each other... Sinatra sings: "Don't dig that crooning chum!" because he knew Crosby's style blew his (Sinatra's) away for total cool and vocal smoothness... and he felt threatened by Crosby's easy vocal manner 8)
Burn e 77
Something better change!
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Frank inspired one of the first of Hugh's many punning song lyric/titles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2dDijEJC_g
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Burn e 77 wrote:When Bing Crosby crooned in his laid back style, he knocked spots off Sinatra's singing... just check out: "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" when both Crosby and Sinatra vocally spar with each other... Sinatra sings: "Don't dig that crooning chum!" because he knew Crosby's style blew his (Sinatra's) away for total cool and vocal smoothness... and he felt threatened by Crosby's easy vocal manner 8)
Burn e 77
It was hero worship Burn e. Sinatra worshipped Bing, not unlike us lot and a certain band 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

elvisintheclouds wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:When Bing Crosby crooned in his laid back style, he knocked spots off Sinatra's singing... just check out: "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" when both Crosby and Sinatra vocally spar with each other... Sinatra sings: "Don't dig that crooning chum!" because he knew Crosby's style blew his (Sinatra's) away for total cool and vocal smoothness... and he felt threatened by Crosby's easy vocal manner 8)
Burn e 77
It was hero worship Burn e. Sinatra worshipped Bing, not unlike us lot and a certain band 8)
Cool! I stand corrected, Mr Presley, sir!
Burn e 77
Something better change!
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Believe it or not - Bing Crosby runs for a running club near me - Lt Baddow Ridge Runners .
Of course its not the same Bing Crosby and it wouldn't look good being beaten at running by a bloke who's been dead about 20 years .
All quiet ..........