ructions in the big country camp

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

manticore
Ugly
Ugly

ructions in the big country camp

Post by manticore »

i see big country have fired their manager of 30 years.apparently he didnt pay the stuart adamson estate royalties from the last tour though he denies it.dont know if it has anything to do with it,but tony butler has quit the band and isnt saying why.his replacement is ex simple minds bassist,derek forbes.
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: ructions in the big country camp

Post by mickinblack »

You can bet its all to do with money.
They may play well together and be the best of mates etc etc blah blah.
But each of them have familys and bills to pay ....so no friends when it comes to buissness....
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I saw them when they reformed as a 3 piece in 2005 and they were pretty good. Then they stopped playing and it had something to do with Stuart Adamson's estate royalties or something. Then they seemed to sort this out and reformed again with Mike Peters. I was chatting to a BC fan about 3 months ago saying how they seemed to have died down a little bit and they should just call it a day. Now Tony Butler has gone they really should pack it in IMO.

Shame to see such a great band falling to pieces like this.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
scotticusnorvegicus
Rats Rally

Post by scotticusnorvegicus »

We are very excited to be here in A ------me----ri--- ca.
scotticusnorvegicus
Rats Rally

Post by scotticusnorvegicus »

Go approximately half way down the page and Bruce Watson tells it all.

http://www.the-skids.com/apps/blog/
We are very excited to be here in A ------me----ri--- ca.
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

booked a ticket for their dec 30th gig in dunfermline as i thought it was a one off.a day later they announce a free gig on hogmany in my home town of inverness.oh well,no complaints about 2 in a row i suppose.would be good if stranglers were also added to the bill,unlikely though.
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

great gig in dunfermline on sunday.the first show witrh new bass player derek forbes(apart from an unplugged charity show a couple of months ago)band were on great form.a few songs from the upcoming new album were played.sounded pretty good.worth going to a gig on the tour next april.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: RE: ructions in the big country camp

Post by theraven1979 »

Gonna pass on this one. Too many non-original members for me now.
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

Well an impromptu gig last night they were originally booked for the university but it was switched to the "Talking Heads" late on which is a great venue and almost closed down last year but thankfully was saved.

By all accounts it was due to ticket sales, as this venue is around half the size of the Uni venue.

I turned up just after half 9 and managed a ticket on the door they were playing the second number in I think which was a thousand stars.

It was pretty heaving inside and bloody hot but I managed a decent spot near the sound desk.

The crowd were pretty lively and we settled into a set that pretty much played the new album alternating with songs from the crossing. Mike Peters remains a great frontman he gets the crowd going but there are plenty of references to Stuart.

If I'm going to be fussy it would be that they didn't cover much else from their career. It was great to hear fragile thing and wonderland but would loved to have heard some stuff from Steeltown.

It's still early days for this lineup, this is their biggest tour so far, the new album is out (i bought it although not played it yet) I'm expecting bigger and better things and will be good to hear them delve into more of the back catalogue.

As for the lineup for those who don't know Bruce Watson was joined by his son Jamie on Guitar, Mark Brzezicki as ever on Drums, and now Derek Forbes on bass, I am a great fan of early Simple Minds so great to see him for the first time. Mike Peters on vox doing what he does best we sang every song (that we knew) at maximum volume bloody glad I caught this gig at the last minute

Looking forward to the next one

Jez
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

yesican
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by yesican »

Looks good , saw them years ago ,fantastic live band.
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

they have a second uk tour lined up for this year starting in october.different places and venues from the usual circut.scottish gigs are in shetland,thurso and dunfermline(booked ticket for that one).its called the john o groats to lands end tour.