Ultravox - Brilliant album

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Ultravox - Brilliant album

Post by Bobinblack »

Possibly open to abuse here but Ultravox with Midge on vocals were one of my favourite synth bands for a while. Like Human League of old, they managed to write great pop songs but make them synth-heavy. 'Sleepwalk' was always one of my faves, even though it does come off the Vienna album. Vienna is, shock horror, not to everyone's liking :P It's a really good album, even if it is banal lyrics etc :oops:

And there's nothing wrong with Band Aid either :mrgreen:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

Bobinblack wrote:Possibly open to abuse here but Ultravox with Midge on vocals were one of my favourite synth bands for a while. Like Human League of old, they managed to write great pop songs but make them synth-heavy. 'Sleepwalk' was always one of my faves, even though it does come off the Vienna album. Vienna is, shock horror, not to everyone's liking :P It's a really good album, even if it is banal lyrics etc :oops:

The 'Vienna' album (for me) is there best by some way and actually is a 'Brilliant' album!! 8)
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

dan-electro wrote:
Bobinblack wrote:Possibly open to abuse here but Ultravox with Midge on vocals were one of my favourite synth bands for a while. Like Human League of old, they managed to write great pop songs but make them synth-heavy. 'Sleepwalk' was always one of my faves, even though it does come off the Vienna album. Vienna is, shock horror, not to everyone's liking :P It's a really good album, even if it is banal lyrics etc :oops:

The 'Vienna' album (for me) is there best by some way and actually is a 'Brilliant' album!! 8)
I like Rage In Eden best but Vienna and Systems of Romance are good too.
Ha! Ha! Ha! and Lament if I'm in the right mood.
I thought Brilliant was alright, but I haven't listened to it for months which probably says something...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Bobinblack wrote:there's nothing wrong with Band Aid either :mrgreen:
All that 'talent' available and that was the best they could come up with??

Do they know it's Christmas time at all????
As the vast majority of the indigenous populations of Africa are Muslims and don't celebrate this date, I'd hazard a guess at NO.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

Toiler On The Sea wrote:
Bobinblack wrote:there's nothing wrong with Band Aid either :mrgreen:
All that 'talent' available and that was the best they could come up with??

Do they know it's Christmas time at all????
As the vast majority of the indigenous populations of Africa are Muslims and don't celebrate this date, I'd hazard a guess at NO.
To be fair, the song was referring to Ethiopia and only around 35% of the population in that country are muslim, the vast majority are christians and would celebrate the birth of Jesus. It's by and large the north african countries such as Tunisa and Egypt that are muslim. I'm sure Midge knew that when he wrote the song :lol:
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

dan-electro wrote:To be fair, the song was referring to Ethiopia and only around 35% of the population in that country are muslim, the vast majority are christians and would celebrate the birth of Jesus. It's by and large the north african countries such as Tunisa and Egypt that are muslim. I'm sure Midge knew that when he wrote the song :lol:
And there won't be snow in Africa this christmas time
No mention of it just being Ethiopia per see!!!!! :wink: :wink:
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Toiler On The Sea wrote:
dan-electro wrote:To be fair, the song was referring to Ethiopia and only around 35% of the population in that country are muslim, the vast majority are christians and would celebrate the birth of Jesus. It's by and large the north african countries such as Tunisa and Egypt that are muslim. I'm sure Midge knew that when he wrote the song :lol:
And there won't be snow in Africa this christmas time
No mention of it just being Ethiopia per see!!!!! :wink: :wink:

Now I'm confused, which one is Percy? :smt017
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

It's a good tune and as far as I remember it was written to attract UK record buyers, I don't think it even charted in Ethiopia :P
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Feed the world, starve the rich by Chumbawamba was a better take on it IMO; 'Paul McCartney come on down with crocodile tears to irrigate this town, making Ethiopia a fertile paradise where everyone buys Beatles songs and buys shares in EMI, charity, starvation and rock'n'roll let it be eh Paulie' or something like that as I recall, classic!

Can't stand Midge Ure to be honest, any political commentary I have ever seen the guy make is embarrassing at best and downright useless at worst. His comments about the miners’ strike were incredibly naive, as for the way he lined up against G20 protestors in Glenn Eagles whilst sucking off Tony Blair, shameful absolutely shameful.

As far as I was aware, the biggest effect of Live Aid was to actually prolong civil war, nice idea, but unfortunately that's the problem with aid much of the time, it is usually badly distributed and ends up causing more problems than it alleviates. Food aid ends up in the hands of war lords who then use it as weapon. I don’t think Live Aid was ever all it was cracked up to be, it helped the careers of a few rock stars, it didn’t address the real issue in Ethiopia, i.e. an East/West funded civil war, that’s my take on it anyway.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

It was Band Aid, and to be fair to Geldof, Ure etc etc, it was the BBC News which first brought yet another famine to prominence in this country's eyes. I couldnt give a toss about Ure's politics or those less than perfect lyrics, they bloody tried to do something which no one else had tried on such a large scale) and the money raised did help a lot of people who would have remained help-less otherwise. It's a shitty world you're right, that warmongers, politicians & crooks take advantage of relief efforts such as Band Aid, but no cynic on this planet will convince me that doing nothing (because of such threats to the success) is better than at least trying something new.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Bobinblack wrote:It was Band Aid, and to be fair to Geldof, Ure etc etc, it was the BBC News which first brought yet another famine to prominence in this country's eyes. I couldnt give a toss about Ure's politics or those less than perfect lyrics, they bloody tried to do something which no one else had tried on such a large scale) and the money raised did help a lot of people who would have remained help-less otherwise. It's a shitty world you're right, that warmongers, politicians & crooks take advantage of relief efforts such as Band Aid, but no cynic on this planet will convince me that doing nothing (because of such threats to the success) is better than at least trying something new.
Band Aid/Live Aid one in the same thing really, let's not be too technical about it eh.
I never said doing nothing was a better option Bob, let's be clear about that. Bono was part of that, and if he stopped shifting his finances to dodgy offshore accountants he could do a hell of a lot more than he professes to do right?

What was the reason the stranglers weren't interested in live aid, anyone remember? I seem to recall they turned down the opportunity to play, I may be imagining that, but I am fairly sure JJ had quite strong views about not wanting to be a part of it.

A quick google search concerning ‘the truth about live aid’ yields all kinds of interesting results. I am not for a minute saying that it was all a load of crap or whatever, and I do believe in foreign aid, I do think the West need to do more to prevent famine and poverty overseas. It might help if they focussed less on exploitation of third world resources however. I am just basically not naive enough to believe everything done in the name of charity is benevolent; I have enough experience with charities to suggest otherwise, and on the other hand I am a great believer in supporting many charitable causes (despite my apparent cynicism).

Old, but this should be a good article to be getting on with, in order to articulate a few of the points I was saying:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 33624.html
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Jake, Band Aid is what I was on about, the record - and that's what the Midge Ure reference here is all about too, it's not being technical at all mate, Live Aid happened after and I don't really have an opinion on it other than I enjoyed watching it all, in the pub. And I wasn't even inferring you thought doing nothing was the best option (I should have made that bit clearer, I realise now :oops: ) .
Last edited by Bobinblack on 24 Aug 2012, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.