Savages @ Leeds Cockpit 28th July 2012

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Savages @ Leeds Cockpit 28th July 2012

Post by theraven1979 »

It's not very often I'd drag myself along to a gig for a band that I know fewer than 3 songs for (which is not as bad as it sounds as the band have yet to release their first album). But last night I'm glad I did.

Arriving at The Cockpit in Leeds last night me and Lammy (along with most of the staff it would seem) were very confused as to what was going on - The bottom room was rammed with a lot of punters watching 1 of around 5 bands appearing on the 2nd stage in the venue. I knew there was a "venue" upstairs that holds about 150 people max (in fact we knew the venue pretty well as me and Lammy being frequent punters during courtship in the early Naughties) but just assumed the Savages would be in the larger room.

Luckily within about 5 mins we both realised (with the help of one punter showing us his ticket with 5 different bands billed!) we were in the wrong room. A quick stroll upstairs and there we were with around 30 other punters and the smallest stage you've probably ever seen. We'd missed the support act but we weren't too bothered. After spotting the lead singer from Wakefield's "This Many Boyfriends" in attendance and watching the venue fill up (probably got to around 100 strong in the end) the Savages made an appearance through the dry ice looking quite intense, and with a touch of 80s goth I guess. They came across very well, the lead singer is quite the performer her voice had a very strong edge to it, the bass sounding very tasty and has touches of early Joy Division kicks of most of the songs and drives them along nicely. The 2 songs I did know "Husbands" (think Patti Smith's "Horses" but performed by The Slits) and "Flying to Berlin" coming across incredibly well live.
sav1.jpg
sav1.jpg (124.22 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
sav2.jpg
sav2.jpg (187.76 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
sav3.jpg
sav3.jpg (138.91 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Within 40 minutes it's all over. We leave the venue and it's not even 10pm but it's been an enjoyable evening. I eagerly await their album and hopefully a tour soon.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Debaser
SHAKESPEARO

Re: Savages @ Leeds Cockpit 28th July 2012

Post by Debaser »

I got definite a female 80's Matchbox B line Disaster vibe - which is good as I'm a sucker for a good thump and bash drum sound.

Here's some pics

"Five cups of coffee just to be myself, when I'd rather be somebody else"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

UK music's best kept secret is now out of the box https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4pck9_U2jM

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Hammer »

Yeah, I watched them last night. As you said earlier Jim, Joy division comes to mind...a little bit. Quite impressed. 8)
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

I saw Husbands and was well impressed....
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
derby62
Rats Rally

Post by derby62 »

saw them on Jools Holland show thought they were very good would deffo like to hear more from them
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Great tip, Jim lad. I'd heard 'Husbands' on 6Radio in last few weeks, then on XFM last Tuesday night on their Xposed show or summat,. Hudbands is their new single I believe. I was in the car travelling from a match and the 4 of us liked the track a lot, commenting that there was a bit of Siouxsie and Dead Kennedys in the track. That is an ace track. And the Later version was pretty damned fine too.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Debaser
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Debaser »

The are playing on 7th Nov at Gorilla in Manchester
"Five cups of coffee just to be myself, when I'd rather be somebody else"