The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ribery
Rats Rally

Re: The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Post by Ribery »

Jon the Impaler wrote:I read once on a chatsite - can't remember if it was Punk77/talkpunk , a football site ( thread about punk ) or on here - a thread about best punk bands One mentioned was The Clash , immediately someone replied " The Clash weren't a punk band " , it was a serious comment , I presume by someone who had only heard London Calling or Sandanista onwards , but it showed how far removed The Clash were from their origins that someone thought they had never been a punk band . I can fully understand listening ( or rather not listening ) to Sandanista how someone would have that opinion if they'd never heard the first or second album . I wonder if people who followed them early on could guess just how much The Clash wold change , personally I can understand fully why punks of that era ( I was one ) ditched The Clash as with the stuff they churned out later on , they'd certainly give the impression of ditching those fans. I'm sure it was the talk punk site .
Over the years the Stranglers have changed just as much as the Clash and why shouldn't they ? Why bring out the same album ten times ? Are you suggesting the Clash should have brought out a new version of White Riot every year ?
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

jamesgreenfield wrote:The Clash were simply one of the best live bands of all time. If you didn't get them live, you had no pulse.

Agreed
Check out this it is simply awesome
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17465
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

jamesgreenfield wrote:The Clash were simply one of the best live bands of all time. If you didn't get them live, you had no pulse.
Well said!

Now can we please put this daft thread to bed. If I was religious I might consider some of the comments on here to be blasphemous!

LOCK THE FUCKER! says I before war breaks out :idea:
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
Well said!

Now can we please put this daft thread to bed. If I was religious I might consider some of the comments on here to be blasphemous!

I did see The Clash live - 1979 I think , 17 Tons tour ? . I think at the time , I'd seen The Stranglers , same venue a short while before on Raven tour ( B'ham Top Rank ) . Its a bit vague nowadays , after all its over 30 years ago , but I think The Clash were louder - had trouble hearing for about 3 days . I think they were good ,but I think they may already have been doing London Calling stuff by then ( correct me if wrong - after all 30 years is a long time ) , I don't have a problem with anyone saying they were good/great live . My problem with The Clash rears its head after London Calling album , and especially Sandanista ..... maybe they aren't THE most over rated band ever , I'd say anyway The Beatles are more entitled to that moniker , but I can't forgive them for Sandanista and what followed . Don't like London Calling but I can see why some see it as an appealing album . It probably is decided by whether you were a punk or not and if you could tolerate the drastic change in musical style . With The Stranglers I always could , I like Feline a lot but it still has a Stranglers feel to it , but I fully understand why some people ( including me) are very anti Clash after London Calling and why it wasn't accepted well by the punk audience - musically it was a compete and total about turn . nOt saying they should do a White Riot every time , but such a quick and radical change was just too much for a punk audience , its was like they dumped the punk element as soon as they got famous ....ok .... there's more than punk than just thrashy guitars and I daresay the songs still have the heartfelt lyrics , but its lost on an audience if they don't want to listen . Each to their own though and I don't think we will see any agreement on the two camps in this thread .
Makes for a fun conversation though , and I think thats what we are here for :grin: .
All quiet ..........
Mulchinblack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Mulchinblack »

I seem to recall that Mick Jones was lauded by some in the music press as the punk/new wave guitar hero, something I found a bit of a mystery. In my humble opinion he wasn't fit to lace Hugh's boots when it came to both playing rhythm and solos.
Normally I wouldn't have minded.
meanie
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by meanie »

In the main I really like the first three albums, but I have to say IMHO I hate listening to their live stuff because they were bloody awful live and I fully expect a literary belting for saying that. :P
I'll see you in the sewer!!!
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

meanie wrote:In the main I really like the first three albums, but I have to say IMHO I hate listening to their live stuff because they were bloody awful live and I fully expect a literary belting for saying that. :P
True
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
Well said!

Too late - The Clash lost
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Yes I read it earlier, whatever next eh. I dunno though Mick Jones never really struck me as the one all that passionate about left leaning politics. It's ironic to think that until about a week ago Shapps was housing minister, he brought in new legislation to crack down on squating, without the vibrant squat scene London has offered The Clash may never have even happened!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Sorry I got It wrong.The Clash had a few good songs.The most overated band ever IMO must be Coldplay.God they are shite IMO.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote:Sorry I got It wrong.The Clash had a few good songs.The most overated band ever IMO must be Coldplay.God they are shite IMO.
I can't really disagree, I can't say I know more than a couple of songs they did, but already that's the equivalent of experiencing a real life version of 'The pit and the pendulum' to me, i.e. intense torture, coldplay - NO WAY!!!!! :smt011 :smt011