The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Post by dead ringer »

Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

^^^ superb
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

Like The Stranglers they were capable of backwards music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thHQeA_U-Y0

Was it a trend back then?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Thanks for the link Jim.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Does anyone have the Rise & Fall of the Clash DVD?
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037vb11

Clash special on Radio 4 last night.
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Listened to some of it the other night was pretty good.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOUND-SYSTEM- ... 19e063bae0

Nice item for Clash collectors, I suspect the final price will be out of the reach of most but it's for a good cause.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

http://clash.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObj ... =The+Clash

If you order the box set from the official site you get a canvas patch signed by the three surviving members.
LAFOLIE
Ugly
Ugly

Post by LAFOLIE »

wow - just spotted this. Most over rated band........really?? Well I guess they say it's down to the individual. However, I would have to strongly disagree. Having been lucky enough to grow up with the likes of the clash and the stranglers, it's been a privilege seeing them in their pure prime. For me, the clash were one of the most visually entertaining bands from that error until their demise in 1982. They were electrifying live...far more than the Stranglers. God, Hugh and JJ couldn't even jump at the same time when playing something better change. The Clash summed up many things for many people. They were ground breaking mixing a punk, reggae and funk fusion. Quite unique. Joe an Mick were great song writers and composed some classics and of course great albums. As for them being musicians, Joe and Mick were good and Topper was exceptional. Probably one of the finest drummers this country has produced! Perhaps Paul was the weak link as he will freely admit he's not a fantastic bass player, but he couldn't play the bass when he joined. But he did make up for it on the stage and all three front men acted their part. Their music stands loud and proud even now. Still sounds fresh and vibrant and even pushing the boundary back in 1982. Still widely played now with London calling being used at the London Olympics! The boys produced music that actually spoke to people I mean music you could actually feel and still can now! Also, when the Clash finished we got BAD which rose from the ashes. Again ground breaking for the time and of course Dreadzone which is a spin off from BAD. Not to mention Joe's solo stuff which I didn't really get into but many did.
I am the knot that slips from the loop

I am the earth that conquers the root
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

I just remember The Clash became yet another corporate whore, jumping on the US band wagon. The singles were good, but they didn't really do it for me.

I think there were far far better bands around at the time, who were up and coming. The Specials/UB40/The Beat etc etc etc, but as you say that's our own opinion. I just can't understand why they were always mentioned and not so many other bands.