2012 Albums

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: 2012 Albums

Post by Hammer »

Killing Joke of course. But also, 'Tough Love' by Pulled Apart by Horses' is a cracking album. 8)
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

Three I'm looking forward to:

PiL - saw them live last year, there's life in the old dog yet.

Spiritualized - Sweet Heart, Sweet Light. Due out in April, apparently influenced by their performing their 90s LP 'Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space' a couple of years back. If it's anything like that, it'll be fantastic (but a bit intense)!

Sigur Ros - new one due in May, for those of you interested in lengthy minimalist Icelandic soundscapes with lyrics sung in falsetto and in occasional made up language! Me? I love it!
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

kincajou wrote: Sigur Ros.............lengthy minimalist Icelandic soundscapes with lyrics sung in falsetto and in occasional made up language!
Falsetto I'm used to being a Morrissey fan.....but the rest..... :?: :?: :smt017
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
dreamtime101

Post by dreamtime101 »

Rockula wrote:So far this year..

'Giants' - The Stranglers 10/10 (Honestly. Couldn't be happier with it).
'Sonik Kicks' - Paul Weller 9/10 (Only 2 dud tracks to my ears).
'This May Be The Reason Why The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing Cannot Be Killed By Conventional Weapons' - The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing 9/10 (It's 'Steampunk'. You probably won't know it).
'InGrrLand' - The Members 8/10 (I'm thier driver so obviously biased. Great drumming by Rat Scabies on 4 tracks).
'Stand Upright In A Cool Place' - Dodgy 8/10 ('Come-back' album. Guilty pleasure? I don't feel guilty at all).
'35th Anniversary Live In Concert' - The Damned 7/10 (Nice recording of 12.11.2011 Roundhouse gig but new material please guys).

Looking forward to new albums by Brian James, Pil, The Dandy Warhols, Gaz Coombes, Joey Ramone (posthumous #2), Ruts DC, East Town Pirates, etc., etc...

Also very much looking forward to the digitally remastered and expanded Deluxe Edition of 'Ogden's Nut Gone Flake' by Small Faces.
Hadn't heard about the Joey Ramone album - so thanks for that mate.
PJayBe
Down In The Sewer

Post by PJayBe »

Looking forward to the new Gaslight Anthem release, the single certainly sounds a bit rawer than the last album. Otherwise been buying the usual proggy-stuff I listen to...........

Philip
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Jon the Impaler wrote:Other than The Stranglers , the only album I will get will probably be Killing Joke .
Got both now .....
Giants 7/10
MMX11 8.5/10
All quiet ..........
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

So far this year I've bought:

Stranglers - Giants
Ultravox - Brilliant
Futureheads - Rant
Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart
The The - Moonbug
Offspring - Days Go By.

Giants is probably the best of the bunch, but The The's soundtrack is also very good. The Offspring album is growing on me, whilst not their best there's plenty to enjoy (slightly worrying that its the cheesier tracks I'm enjoying the most...). Futureheads and Marina are admirable in places but not essential.

Looking forward also this year to new albums from Hugh, Legendary Pink Dots and Muse. Hopefully some more.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Giant Sand - Tucson
Alejandro Escovedo - Big Station
Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful
Miraculous Mule - no title yet (Michael J Sheehy new band)
Gary Myrick - Guitarista
Lords of The New Church (old stuff and live - according to Brian James)
Sonny Vincent (with Rat Scabies, Glen Matlock,...)
vanian

Post by vanian »

Offspring days go by - its a real grower and i would say not one duff track on it - fair enough you need to like them to appreciate it but excellent imo
Cult - weapon of choice - 6 crackers the rest are so so
She wants revenge - Valley Heart (not 2012) but got this and its truly a nugget- bass, synth ,songs about fetishes the works :grin:
Mighty bosstones - magic of youth - brilliant - saw them last month and they were truly fab- again not a duff one on it
garbage - not your kind of people - vey good
pil - iffy to say the least - like lollipop opera,out of the woods but some of it is shockingly bad - unfortunately
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Go Kart Mozart - On the Hot Dog Streets
Dexys - Soar
Joey Ramone - Ya Know
This Is Pil
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

vanian wrote:Offspring days go by - its a real grower and i would say not one duff track on it - fair enough you need to like them to appreciate it but excellent imo
What's your opinion of Cruisin' California? :lol:
I'm enjoying "I Wanna Secret Family With You" far too much at the moment haha
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
vanian

Post by vanian »

parasiteinblack wrote:
vanian wrote:Offspring days go by - its a real grower and i would say not one duff track on it - fair enough you need to like them to appreciate it but excellent imo
What's your opinion of Cruisin' California? :lol:
I'm enjoying "I Wanna Secret Family With You" far too much at the moment haha

Classic Offspring , Pole Dancers , :grin: - cruisin is a great summer song and I love OC Guns a Dub reggae Mariachi number ! ,slim pickens also good - i know a lot of people say offspring are gimmicky and they are but their tongue is so far in cheek its unreal - nice to not take themselves serious even though it pisses a lot of people off that they are so successful